or Connect
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Clubhouse › Golf Talk › Winter Depression Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Winter Depression Thread - Page 7

post #109 of 873

After waking up and finding the water pipes frozen, so no water in the house, I decided to ride up to Chattanooga (enough of sitting around the house).

 

Looked around Golfsmith at golf bags I liked but didn't buy, had a Philly cheese steak downtown, had a chocolate frozen yogurt, and wished it had been warm enough for a round at Moccasin Bend as I drove past.

 

Saturday is supposed to be warm enough to play but also supposed to rain.

post #110 of 873
Quote:
Originally Posted by MS256 View Post
 

After waking up and finding the water pipes frozen, so no water in the house, I decided to ride up to Chattanooga (enough of sitting around the house).

 

Looked around Golfsmith at golf bags I liked but didn't buy, had a Philly cheese steak downtown, had a chocolate frozen yogurt, and wished it had been warm enough for a round at Moccasin Bend as I drove past.

 

Saturday is supposed to be warm enough to play but also supposed to rain.

Water pipes can freeze in Alabama? :-\

post #111 of 873
Close to 60 this weekend in Northern VA, looks like some golf on Sunday. a3_biggrin.gif
post #112 of 873
50 and partly sunny this Sunday here on Long Island. Fingers crossed after this artic blast that all snow is gone and courses will be open.
post #113 of 873
Quote:
Originally Posted by RFKFREAK View Post
 

Water pipes can freeze in Alabama? :-\


That's funny. Oh yeah. The cold just usually doesn't last as long. It usually gets below 0 about once a year for a few days but I've seen well below 0 several times. Record here is -25.

 

When I moved to Missouri years ago my friends were surprised that I knew how to snow ski, but there's a short slope with a pull lift a couple of miles away.

 

Hmmm. Now that I'm thinking about it, I may go skiing tomorrow.

post #114 of 873
Quote:
Originally Posted by MS256 View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by RFKFREAK View Post
 

Water pipes can freeze in Alabama? :-\


That's funny. Oh yeah. The cold just usually doesn't last as long. It usually gets below 0 about once a year for a few days but I've seen well below 0 several times. Record here is -25.

 

When I moved to Missouri years ago my friends were surprised that I knew how to snow ski, but there's a short slope with a pull lift a couple of miles away.

 

Hmmm. Now that I'm thinking about it, I may go skiing tomorrow.

 

I never would have thought that it got anywhere near 0, much less below or a record low of -25.

 

Sorry about the pipes.  Hope it's not too much of a pain.

post #115 of 873
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmanbooyaa View Post

50 and partly sunny this Sunday here on Long Island. Fingers crossed after this artic blast that all snow is gone and courses will be open.

 

What course on LI do you play?

post #116 of 873
I play blue or Yellow at Bethpage, if I want a quick 9 I will got to Penninusla golf club or I I really just want to focus on iron play I head to an executive 18 called Heatherwood. All 3 very different courses.
post #117 of 873
Quote:
Originally Posted by LBlack14 View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by duotone View Post

4 feet of snow. -1 actual temp. All my clubs are taken apart. New grips on the way.

My wife is telling me to find something to do other than shop for golf club parts.

What else is there to do? I've bought new irons, wedges, putter, hats, hybrids and the list goes on.......a3_biggrin.gif

Cold weather and lack of golf over time will certainly trigger the buying impulses of the devoted club ho. I knew a business associate that would go out on lunch break just about every day in winter to a local golf shop to buy, sell and trade clubs. Had a collection of clubs that could only have been the result of some kind of mental addiction. Probably more common than the public is aware of.....

post #118 of 873
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archie Bunker View Post

Cold weather and lack of golf over time will certainly trigger the buying impulses of the devoted club ho. I knew a business associate that would go out on lunch break just about every day in winter to a local golf shop to buy, sell and trade clubs. Had a collection of clubs that could only have been the result of some kind of mental addiction. Probably more common than the public is aware of.....

I know nothing of which you speak. b1_ohmy.gif




post #119 of 873

Below zero last 2 mornings.     Half the city is in a power outage right now ... I'm one of the lucky ones - still have electric.   There's gonna be some mighty frosty souls for those with electric heat if this goes on into the night (and a lot of broken water pipes / basement flooding).

post #120 of 873
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmanbooyaa View Post

I play blue or Yellow at Bethpage, if I want a quick 9 I will got to Penninusla golf club or I I really just want to focus on iron play I head to an executive 18 called Heatherwood. All 3 very different courses.

 

I played Bethpage Green earlier this year on a beautiful November day when it was like in the 60's.  Had never played any of the Bethpage courses before.  Really enjoyed it even though I put up an awful number...even for me.

 

Haven't played the other two.

post #121 of 873
I have only played the green course once. I too put a monster #. From how I understand it the yellow being the easier of the 4 courses followed by blue than green red and of course the Black course.
post #122 of 873
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmanbooyaa View Post

I have only played the green course once. I too put a monster #. From how I understand it the yellow being the easier of the 4 courses followed by blue than green red and of course the Black course.

 

Yeah, I set up a tee time with a friend and they offered some of the other courses but would have had to wait 40 minutes and we didn't want to do that.

 

Def going to play a few rounds down once the season begins again.

post #123 of 873
Yellow and blue get the most play. Next season is going to be rough. Single walker and will need to get to Bethpage early otherwise waits are insane. That place is a zoo on Saturday and Sundays during the season. I don't play there too much because of that. But most courses are like that here on LI durin the season. Late October thru as much winter as allowed to play is my favorite time to play. If open courses are empty and a bit friendly on the wallet.
post #124 of 873
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmanbooyaa View Post

Yellow and blue get the most play. Next season is going to be rough. Single walker and will need to get to Bethpage early otherwise waits are insane. That place is a zoo on Saturday and Sundays during the season. I don't play there too much because of that. But most courses are like that here on LI durin the season. Late October thru as much winter as allowed to play is my favorite time to play. If open courses are empty and a bit friendly on the wallet.

 

Yeah, I just moved to Albany from Queens last Feb. and whereas I've found courses to play down there, up here it's my understanding there are only two courses that are open.

post #125 of 873
Thread Starter 

Explain heated driving ranges to me? I'm assuming some sort of propane heaters in the hitting bays, but how do they keep the snow off the range so they can collect balls?

post #126 of 873
Quote:
Originally Posted by smellysell View Post

Explain heated driving ranges to me? I'm assuming some sort of propane heaters in the hitting bays, but how do they keep the snow off the range so they can collect balls?

Gas heaters at the heated that I've worked at. If the ground is froze, pick as normal, but when it starts to thaw it gets more tricky and tedious. A lot of hand picking goes on.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Golf Talk
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Clubhouse › Golf Talk › Winter Depression Thread