or Connect
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Clubhouse › Golf Talk › Winter Depression Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Winter Depression Thread - Page 38

post #667 of 1064
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valleygolfer View Post
 

We will probably have a lot of grass killed because of the snow.


That surprises me. What kind of grass do you have?

 

We don't know if we have any greens or not yet, but they are Bermuda with a really good chance of winter kill. Problem around here is that Bent is the worst headache in the world in the summer and Bermuda might get killed off with a bad winter (and this one qualified).

 

Too bad fescue doesn't make good greens. :-D 

post #668 of 1064
Quote:
Originally Posted by saevel25 View Post
 

 

Most public courses in Ohio don't give a shit about that. The courses here will be open later this week if the temperatures warm up a bit to get people out there. Heck if there was no snow, courses would be open if it was even bellow 30 degrees. 


Fox8.com's 8-Day Forecast.... so damn depressing. yet, some courses are in fact open this week. Most of the nicer ones postponed opening until the beginning of April though, if not later.
 

  • Currently

    Partly CloudyPartly Cloudy32°

    Humidity:

     

    56%

    Pressure:

     

    29.96 in

    Wind:

     

    at 8mph

  • Mon 17

    Mostly ClearMostly Clear37°|26°

    Precip:

     

    0%

    Wind:

     

    at 8mph

  • Tue 18

    Partly CloudyPartly Cloudy50°|38°

    Precip:

     

    0%

    Wind:

     

    at 12mph

  • Wed 19

    Rain ShowersRain Showers48°|30°

    Precip:

     

    70%

    Wind:

     

    at 21mph

  • Thu 20

    Partly CloudyPartly Cloudy40°|27°

    Precip:

     

    20%

    Wind:

     

    at 14mph

  • Fri 21

    Rain ShowersRain Showers48°|28°

    Precip:

     

    40%

    Wind:

     

    at 7mph

  • Sat 22

    Light SnowLight Snow43°|22°

    Precip:

     

    60%

    Wind:

     

    at 11mph

  • Sun 23

    Partly CloudyPartly Cloudy33°|22°

    Precip:

     

    0%

    Wind:

     

    at 10mph

post #669 of 1064
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyder View Post
 


Fox8.com's 8-Day Forecast.... so damn depressing. yet, some courses are in fact open this week. Most of the nicer ones postponed opening until the beginning of April though, if not later.
 

My home course said it doesn't expect the course to open until April as well.  Still plenty of freezing temps and even a chance of snow in our 10 day outlook.  I'm hoping some of the public courses will open so I can at least get 9 in before my Myrtle Beach trip.

post #670 of 1064
Quote:
Originally Posted by MS256 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valleygolfer View Post

 
We will probably have a lot of grass killed because of the snow.


That surprises me. What kind of grass do you have?

We don't know if we have any greens or not yet, but they are Bermuda with a really good chance of winter kill. Problem around here is that Bent is the worst headache in the world in the summer and Bermuda might get killed off with a bad winter (and this one qualified).

Too bad fescue doesn't make good greens. a3_biggrin.gif  
Bent. It just depends on how the snow affects the turf.
post #671 of 1064
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valleygolfer View Post



Bent. It just depends on how the snow affects the turf.

 

Bent will be fine

post #672 of 1064
Quote:
Originally Posted by saevel25 View Post
 

Bent will be fine

 

As will poa. From what I've been told by supers, etc. it takes a lot to kill grasses. After all, everyone has lawns in this area that survive every winter.

post #673 of 1064
Quote:
Originally Posted by saevel25 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valleygolfer View Post

Bent. It just depends on how the snow affects the turf.

Bent will be fine
We get winter kill at times. I don't remember the process but we had it last year. I am going by what someone told me so take it fwiw.
post #674 of 1064
Quote:
Originally Posted by iacas View Post
 

 

As will poa. From what I've been told by supers, etc. it takes a lot to kill grasses. After all, everyone has lawns in this area that survive every winter.

Interesting. I received a letter from my course and they told me that last time the greens were covered with ice, it killed the poa.

post #675 of 1064
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valleygolfer View Post


We get winter kill at times. I don't remember the process but we had it last year. I am going by what someone told me so take it fwiw.


Snow shouldn't hurt Bent grass. Playing with it thawed on top and frozen underneath and too early in the mornings after a freeze or frost is a bigger problem according to all of the superintendents around here.

 

I don't have any first hand knowledge of it because they simply don't let anybody on the greens in those two conditions for me to see for myself. :-D 

post #676 of 1064
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac20 View Post
 

Interesting. I received a letter from my course and they told me that last time the greens were covered with ice, it killed the poa.

 

It takes some weird conditions. The ice alone doesn't do it - usually a warm few days that then freezes can do it, apparently: http://www.turf.msu.edu/winterkill-of-turfgrass .

post #677 of 1064

That is what nailed us in Northern Maine last year. We have been getting a thaw in January with a bit of rain which melted most of the snow, refroze, melted again and then froze up for the rest of the winter. Had to reseed the greens 3 times for it to finally take and had temporary greens on most of the course until late June but never really got good until late July. Tough year last year, luckily the snow survived this years January thaw so we should be in good shape plus our course is now covering the greens.

post #678 of 1064

just snow cover isnt usually a problem. bent usually can survive winter. turf under ice for 90 days can reek havoc due to no gas exchange. poa is pron to this. all turf can be damaged by crown hydration (ie rain hydrates the crown then it freezes)

post #679 of 1064
Quote:
Originally Posted by iacas View Post

It takes some weird conditions. The ice alone doesn't do it - usually a warm few days that then freezes can do it, apparently: http://www.turf.msu.edu/winterkill-of-turfgrass .
I guess I'll find out in May.

Also, according to this site, bent grass can survive 3 times as long as poa under ice (90 days vs 30 days).
http://www.wctaturf.com/topics/repage/reaug99.html
post #680 of 1064

I hate to be a prick* but I was just assessing the old sock tan in the shower the other day at the end of this long, hot Southern Hemisphere summer -- and I think it's close to my best ever!

 

 

(* OK, no I don't or I wouldn't be posting here :-D)

 

PS: Yes I know the left foot got hit with the ugly stick.

 

PPS: May your summers also be excellent, Northern brethren.

post #681 of 1064

@Stretch ,

 

That will be my look come July!

post #682 of 1064

I have some stuff to take care of on Friday, but luckily I was also able to set up a tee time in the afternoon for 18. It should be near 50 and sunny! It'll be the second official day of Spring and the Winter Depression is receding! :beer:

post #683 of 1064
3-6 or 8 inches tonight into tomorrow. Given the year it will probably be at least 8 inches. Single digit temperatures all week long in the morning with more than half being below zero....
post #684 of 1064
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valleygolfer View Post

3-6 or 8 inches tonight into tomorrow. Given the year it will probably be at least 8 inches. Single digit temperatures all week long in the morning with more than half being below zero....

 

wow... that just sucks

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Golf Talk
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Clubhouse › Golf Talk › Winter Depression Thread