or Connect
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Clubhouse › Golf Talk › Holy crap, I'm gonna play golf with Graeme McDowell!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Holy crap, I'm gonna play golf with Graeme McDowell! - Page 20

post #343 of 392
Quote:
Originally Posted by David in FL View Post
 

 

You're kidding, right?!

 

My first tee shot was a dead right blast that was so bad, it ended up ok, in the middle of the 9th fairway.  I had 3 doubles, all as a result of single bad shots....one of which was hit OB from dead center in the fairway.  :8)    Give me those 4 shots back, and I have at least a chance at breaking 80.

 

I can easily think of 3 or 4 others I wasn't very proud of too, but sadly, that's nothing new with my game! 

 

question - were they short game shots or long game shots?  ;-)

post #344 of 392
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by colin007 View Post

question - were they short game shots or long game shots?  a2_wink.gif

I'm guessing you know the answer to that one!

All full swing shots. I actually chipped and putted pretty well. Not nearly well enough to make up for the half dozen or so cruddy full swings that I made though..... a5_crying.gif
post #345 of 392
Was just reading through this thread, congrats David!

I use golfnow a lot too and was wondering how many rounds you booked last year to get an opportunity like this? Of course you get an advantage on us northern folks with being able to golf year round...but I was just curious? Thanks!!
post #346 of 392
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by nellycuz View Post

Was just reading through this thread, congrats David!

I use golfnow a lot too and was wondering how many rounds you booked last year to get an opportunity like this? Of course you get an advantage on us northern folks with being able to golf year round...but I was just curious? Thanks!!

I finished last year with about 520 rounds booked through GolfNow. That was number one in the Orlando market. I'm sure there were plenty of people that booked more than that, but I imagine that it didn't hurt that I'm here in Orlando where both GolfNow and GMAC are also located either!

BTW, I just received a DVD with some more pics and a couple of short video clips from our round. I can post a couple more up if anyone is still interested.....
post #347 of 392

That is playing some golf, man! :beer:

post #348 of 392
Quote:
Originally Posted by David in FL View Post

BTW, I just received a DVD with some more pics and a couple of short video clips from our round. I can post a couple more up if anyone is still interested.....

 

Yes please.

post #349 of 392
Quote:
Originally Posted by David in FL View Post


I finished last year with about 520 rounds ...

Sorry ... this does not compute!!  You averaged playing almost one and a half rounds a day last year????

 

And, definitely post the pics/video!!  Would love to see.

post #350 of 392
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfingdad View Post
 

Sorry ... this does not compute!!  You averaged playing almost one and a half rounds a day last year????

 

And, definitely post the pics/video!!  Would love to see.

He books for his foursome and keeps the prizes...and then he calls his playing buddies "rat bastards". :beer: Lol.

post #351 of 392
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernest Jones View Post

He books for his foursome and keeps the prizes...and then he calls his playing buddies "rat bastards". c2_beer.gif  Lol.

Um.......yeah, that pretty much sums it up! a3_biggrin.gif

I book for a small group. We play every weekend and a couple of us try to get out Friday afternoons when we can too. I "only" played about 110 rounds last year. a1_smile.gif
post #352 of 392
Quote:
Originally Posted by David in FL View Post


Um.......yeah, that pretty much sums it up! a3_biggrin.gif

I book for a small group. We play every weekend and a couple of us try to get out Friday afternoons when we can too. I "only" played about 110 rounds last year. a1_smile.gif

Oh I see ... 520 rounds.  So each booking of a foursome counts as 4 rounds.  That makes more sense.  Still insanely jealous of the 110 - I had my best year ever last year and it was in the 30's - but at least its reasonable. ;)

post #353 of 392
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfingdad View Post

Oh I see ... 520 rounds.  So each booking of a foursome counts as 4 rounds.  That makes more sense.  Still insanely jealous of the 110 - I had my best year ever last year and it was in the 30's - but at least its reasonable. ;)
Christ, I played over 30 rounds and I live in the freakin' arctic.

Of course I play a fair amount of night golf too.
post #354 of 392
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernest Jones View Post


Christ, I played over 30 rounds and I live in the freakin' arctic.

Of course I play a fair amount of night golf too.

I was just about to tell you that I was going to start pulling a @cipher and going to my local course for 9 hole rounds prior to work to get more rounds in.  But then I just called then and they told me that 9 holes was $45.  Well, shit, I can play 18 there for $55 ... that is financially irresponsible of me to ever play nine holes there, so scratch that idea.

 

There is decent muni around here that does back nine deals for $17, so maybe I'll check them out instead.  There is also one that I'm not in love with, but it's right on my drive to work and its $19.

post #355 of 392
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfingdad View Post
 

I was just about to tell you that I was going to start pulling a @cipher and going to my local course for 9 hole rounds prior to work to get more rounds in.  But then I just called then and they told me that 9 holes was $45.  Well, shit, I can play 18 there for $55 ... that is financially irresponsible of me to ever play nine holes there, so scratch that idea.

 

There is decent muni around here that does back nine deals for $17, so maybe I'll check them out instead.  There is also one that I'm not in love with, but it's right on my drive to work and its $19.

A dad has to do what a dad has to do to get his golf in.   $17 for nine sounds pretty decent where you are at.

post #356 of 392

I suppose I am lucky.  I have a great little backwoods par 3 that I can hit up for $5 and get in plenty of practice.  I love to take my kids there as well as they are really into the First Tee program at the course.  I joined a country club this year and I am starting to think it may have been a mistake.  :(

post #357 of 392
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfingdad View Post

I was just about to tell you that I was going to start pulling a @cipher
 and going to my local course for 9 hole rounds prior to work to get more rounds in.  But then I just called then and they told me that 9 holes was $45.  Well, shit, I can play 18 there for $55 ... that is financially irresponsible of me to ever play nine holes there, so scratch that idea.

There is decent muni around here that does back nine deals for $17, so maybe I'll check them out instead.  There is also one that I'm not in love with, but it's right on my drive to work and its $19.
The fiscally responsible thing to do would be to get super early and play 18.
post #358 of 392

Just saw this thread again today after MIA'ing in December-Jan… way to go, David!

post #359 of 392
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernest Jones View Post


The fiscally responsible thing to do would be to get super early and play 18.

Yes, it would.  Although, my plan would be to get there at first light regardless, which around here this time of year is 6:30am - ish.  The trouble with the 18 hole route (other than the fact that I won't be at work until after 10am), and this is true of most courses around here, is that they don't take reservations ahead of time for singles.  Combine that with the fact that they have a lot of regulars that book those early tee times most days and I'm probably just going to be crossing my fingers each time I show up out there.  I guess I can stick to the 9 hole par 3 course down the street that I can play on 45 minutes. :)

 

I'd like to get more on course practice with the long clubs though.

post #360 of 392
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfingdad View Post

Yes, it would.  Although, my plan would be to get there at first light regardless, which around here this time of year is 6:30am - ish.  The trouble with the 18 hole route (other than the fact that I won't be at work until after 10am), and this is true of most courses around here, is that they don't take reservations ahead of time for singles.  Combine that with the fact that they have a lot of regulars that book those early tee times most days and I'm probably just going to be crossing my fingers each time I show up out there.  I guess I can stick to the 9 hole par 3 course down the street that I can play on 45 minutes. :)

I'd like to get more on course practice with the long clubs though.

Find yourself a group. They're almost always looking for new members.

Some dummy like me makes all the arrangements and emails everyone with the details. Most stick to a pretty regular weekend morning schedule and a lot are able to negotiate good rates in exchange for bringing out their happy little group of knuckleheads.

Go when you can, skip whe you must, but you'll play more, usually for less money, and you'll meet a bunch of good guys along the way.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Golf Talk
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Clubhouse › Golf Talk › Holy crap, I'm gonna play golf with Graeme McDowell!