or Connect
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The 19th Hole › The Grill Room › Boston for New Year's Eve
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Boston for New Year's Eve

post #1 of 35
Thread Starter 

Hey guys,

 

Hoping some of the New England members can suggest some good things for my better half and I do to on New Year's Eve in Boston. We will be having a dinner somewhere (recommendations appreciated, under $150 if possible), and are open to suggestions for before/after that.

 

Is there an official count down somewhere? Boston Common? Waterfront?

 

Thanks in advance!

post #2 of 35
post #3 of 35
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by boogielicious View Post
 

Check this out.  Lots of stuff to do.

 

http://boston.cbslocal.com/guide/your-guide-to-first-night-boston-2014/

 

http://www.firstnightboston.org/

 

Good info. Thanks! I know there are lots of great places to eat. Are there any places to get a good steak around Boston Common for a reasonable price?

post #4 of 35
I liked the "Back Bay Social Room" for dinner and definitely recommend hitting the Lyre Pub for pints of Guinness, the food's pretty good at the Lyre too.
post #5 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foursum Golf View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by boogielicious View Post
 

Check this out.  Lots of stuff to do.

 

http://boston.cbslocal.com/guide/your-guide-to-first-night-boston-2014/

 

http://www.firstnightboston.org/

 

Good info. Thanks! I know there are lots of great places to eat. Are there any places to get a good steak around Boston Common for a reasonable price?


Legal seafood of all the places! The aged steak is pretty good.

 

Nico's in the North End has really good steak, it's walkable from the commons. Actually everything is walkable in Boston. We did it one cold winter night.

 

I am allergic to seafood, so I know all the other places too.

 

SEAFOOD is KING in Boston. Try it if you can.

post #6 of 35
Can't go wrong with The Summer-Shack either.
post #7 of 35
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernest Jones View Post

I liked the "Back Bay Social Room" for dinner and definitely recommend hitting the Lyre Pub for pints of Guinness, the food's pretty good at the Lyre too.

 

I just had a look at the Back Bay Social Room's website - looks like a good spot. Thanks for the info.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lihu View Post
 


Legal seafood of all the places! The aged steak is pretty good.

 

Nico's in the North End has really good steak, it's walkable from the commons. Actually everything is walkable in Boston. We did it one cold winter night.

 

I am allergic to seafood, so I know all the other places too.

 

SEAFOOD is KING in Boston. Try it if you can.

 

Ah, I didn't think of trying the seafood. Good suggestion. We are there for a four days so we'll be able to try some different places.

post #8 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernest Jones View Post

Can't go wrong with The Summer-Shack either.

There's a few of them now too I think. I'm not a huge seafood fan, but they've got the best fish I've ever had.

Legal's great, but they're pretty consistently swamped on regular weekdays. Can't imagine how crazy (read: slooooooooow service) New Year's Eve would be.
post #9 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foursum Golf View Post

I just had a look at the Back Bay Social Room's website - looks like a good spot. Thanks for the info.


Ah, I didn't think of trying the seafood. Good suggestion. We are there for a four days so we'll be able to try some different places.
I'm not from Boston so the locals may have better suggestions but I've spent a fair amount of time there.
post #10 of 35
Thread Starter 

Sonsie and The Capital Grille were recommended to me by somebody else. The Capital looks like it might be a pricey night out if we have some wine though.

post #11 of 35

the Capital Grille is excellent but very pricey.  The North End has many great Italian restaurants too.

post #12 of 35
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by boogielicious View Post
 

the Capital Grille is excellent but very pricey.  The North End has many great Italian restaurants too.

 

I think we will probably skip Capital Grille this trip. We'll definitely check out the North End!

post #13 of 35
Thread Starter 

I'd like to see Harvard, MIT, do some shopping in Wrentham, see Newbury and Boylston Streets, and maybe head to the Bruins game. 

post #14 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foursum Golf View Post
 

I'd like to see Harvard, MIT, do some shopping in Wrentham, see Newbury and Boylston Streets, and maybe head to the Bruins game. 

 

Did these in one night.

 

The MIT campus is pretty nice, especially around Kendall square? (not sure if I'm mixing it with Kenmore square). We also walked down a road called Marlboro Rd (again that's what I remember of the name), and saw all the brownstone buildings. The waterfront and all "tea party" boat, USS constitution are also very nice. I liked walking around Boston, it's beautiful and everything is close, if not too cold in the Winter.

 

Did not go to Harvard, we might do that the next trip out there. I did see it as a kid since my aunt worked for the University, and she lived close to the campus.

post #15 of 35

Try Durgin-Park (http://www.arkrestaurants.com/durgin_park.html) in Boston Commons.

It is a no frills restaurant with great prime rib.

 

Personally, I don't like Legal Seafood.  It's a franchise and for the quality of food and atmosphere, I think it is a bit pricey.

 

Also, when you go to Harvard square (Harvard Univ.), you gotta try Mr. Bartley's Gourmet Burger.  One of the best burgers I've tasted, especially a burger with boursin cheese.

 

EDIT:  Link to Mr. Bartley's ...  http://www.mrbartley.com/

post #16 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yukari View Post

Try Durgin-Park (http://www.arkrestaurants.com/durgin_park.html) in Boston Commons.
It is a no frills restaurant with great prime rib. . .
That's the place I was looking for the last time I was there. I couldnt think of the name. My aunt took me there as a kid. I remember me and my cousin each eating the 22 oz steak.

Thanks for jogging my memory for my next trip.
post #17 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foursum Golf View Post

I'd like to see Harvard, MIT, do some shopping in Wrentham, see Newbury and Boylston Streets, and maybe head to the Bruins game. 

You're talking about the Wrentham Outlets, correct? Those are pretty great. If you're going to drive down that way from Boston, you can swing it so you go right past Patriot Place, which is a pretty neat visit even if you're not going to a game.

Newport st is fun, especially if you like brownstones.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lihu View Post

Did these in one night.

The MIT campus is pretty nice, especially around Kendall square? (not sure if I'm mixing it with Kenmore square). We also walked down a road called Marlboro Rd (again that's what I remember of the name), and saw all the brownstone buildings. The waterfront and all "tea party" boat, USS constitution are also very nice. I liked walking around Boston, it's beautiful and everything is close, if not too cold in the Winter.

Did not go to Harvard, we might do that the next trip out there. I did see it as a kid since my aunt worked for the University, and she lived close to the campus.

Harvard Square is pretty fun. Central Square too, both in Cambridge.

I have a friend who plays Paul Revere on the Freedom Trail tours. Those are pretty neat, though I'm not sure you'd want to do that in January.

If you've never driven across the Zakim at night with the lights on, that's cool and takes like 20 seconds.
post #18 of 35
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lihu View Post
 

 

Did these in one night.

 

The MIT campus is pretty nice, especially around Kendall square? (not sure if I'm mixing it with Kenmore square). We also walked down a road called Marlboro Rd (again that's what I remember of the name), and saw all the brownstone buildings. The waterfront and all "tea party" boat, USS constitution are also very nice. I liked walking around Boston, it's beautiful and everything is close, if not too cold in the Winter.

 

Did not go to Harvard, we might do that the next trip out there. I did see it as a kid since my aunt worked for the University, and she lived close to the campus.

 

We'll definitely spend some time on the waterfront. We will likely watch the fireworks down there.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yukari View Post
 

Try Durgin-Park (http://www.arkrestaurants.com/durgin_park.html) in Boston Commons.

It is a no frills restaurant with great prime rib.

 

Personally, I don't like Legal Seafood.  It's a franchise and for the quality of food and atmosphere, I think it is a bit pricey.

 

Also, when you go to Harvard square (Harvard Univ.), you gotta try Mr. Bartley's Gourmet Burger.  One of the best burgers I've tasted, especially a burger with boursin cheese.

 

EDIT:  Link to Mr. Bartley's ...  http://www.mrbartley.com/

 

Durgin-Park looks like a neat spot. I love places like that with lots of character. I don't think I've had boursin cheese before.. I'll have to try it.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamo View Post


You're talking about the Wrentham Outlets, correct? Those are pretty great. If you're going to drive down that way from Boston, you can swing it so you go right past Patriot Place, which is a pretty neat visit even if you're not going to a game.

Newport st is fun, especially if you like brownstones.
Harvard Square is pretty fun. Central Square too, both in Cambridge.

I have a friend who plays Paul Revere on the Freedom Trail tours. Those are pretty neat, though I'm not sure you'd want to do that in January.

If you've never driven across the Zakim at night with the lights on, that's cool and takes like 20 seconds.

 

Yep, the Wrentham Outlets. My better half was pretty excited when I told her there was a Michael Kors outlet there. :-) 

 

I'm sure I'll find some good stuff too.

 

Great suggestions of Patriot Place, the walking tours and the Zakim. I guess we'll have to see how cold it is when we get there. I would have liked to do a duck tour but it's probably not the right season for that. 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: The Grill Room
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The 19th Hole › The Grill Room › Boston for New Year's Eve