or Connect
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Clubhouse › Golf Talk › Which wedge?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Which wedge?

post #1 of 12
Thread Starter 

Ok well i have an extra spot in my bag and i have a huge gap from my 46 degree pitching wedge to my 56 degree. i also have a 60 degree. so i was wondering which wedge i should get to fill the gap. i hit my PW 135 and my 56 degree 105. so i have nothing to hit 115-125. i was thinking like a 50 degree. anyone out there playing one? or have a better suggestion 

post #2 of 12

20 yards is a big gap in the wedge realm

 

PW - 46  (120 yards)

GW - 50 (110 yards)

SW - 56 (90 yards - sand - 50-90 shots - lots of other stuff - small flops)

LW - 60 (60 yards - over trees - big flops - short sand shots)

 

I use that 50 a LOT

 

You might just go try a few in the 46 to 56 range and pick whatever splits your yardage best - find what gives you that 120 yard mark - it's a sweet spot IMO. 

 

I wanted mine it because I'd rather swing away than try to take off my PW.....  other philosophies apply - some would rather take off a GW rather than swing away at their SW - whatever works for you

post #3 of 12
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by rehmwa View Post
 

20 yards is a big gap in the wedge realm

 

PW - 46  (120 yards)

GW - 50 (110 yards)

SW - 56 (90 yards - sand - 50-90 shots - lots of other stuff - small flops)

LW - 60 (60 yards - over trees - big flops - short sand shots)

 

I use that 50 a LOT

 

You might just go try a few in the 46 to 56 range and pick whatever splits your yardage best - find what gives you that 120 yard mark - it's a sweet spot IMO. 

 

I wanted mine it because I'd rather swing away than try to take off my PW.....  other philosophies apply - some would rather take off a GW rather than swing away at their SW - whatever works for you

thats exactly my thought. i don't want to start forcing a 56 or backing off my PW i will try to demo some wedges this week cuz my last round i found myself 120-125 out a lot so id have to hit a PW and try to spin it back

post #4 of 12
I second the 50. I use mine a lot more than my pw and sw. My iron set came with the 50 and its my favorite club.
post #5 of 12

I'd be looking into whatever the matching GW is for your set considering it's mostly a full swing club.

post #6 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave2512 View Post
 

I'd be looking into whatever the matching GW is for your set considering it's mostly a full swing club.

I'd actually consider looking at a 50* that matches your 56 and 60, rather than the one that matches your other irons.  I have a 50* gap that matches the rest of my irons, and its fine ... however, I've read a review on here (I think it's one of Erik's - not sure which exact product though) that explains that it might be better for your mindset to have that gap wedge looking more like your other "scoring" clubs, rather than your other irons.

 

I think there is definitely something to that.  Whenever I need to get new wedges, I will probably get a set of 3 and dump the 50* i20. :)

 

Oh, and I'd also recommend that you try and hit them on a monitor before buying.  Bring your 46 and your 56 as baselines (so if you're indoors, you don't have to rely on the calibration of the machine), and that way you can get a better idea of whether or not a 50* or perhaps a 52* would be a better fit.  You might even find that 51* is ideal, in which case you could have them bend a 50. :)

post #7 of 12

I go with:

 

PW: 130yds

52: 115yds

60: 90yds

 

The key however, is working on a 3/4 swing with the PW to fill the void. I just don't have room for 4 wedges. Which club are you taking out to accommodate it? I use a driver, 3 wood, and 17 degree hybrid.

 

AJ

post #8 of 12

I suppose every has an opinion about it. Personally I've tried both and recently went back to the stock GW after using a matching wedge. The reason for me is with modern lofts the GW in most sets is really a PW in loft. I was using 4 wedges after the stock 44 degree PW, 48-52-56-60. The GW for my set is a 49 and just one degree weaker than the PW wedge in my previous set. It was easier for me to lose a long iron to set up the short end of the bag.

post #9 of 12
post #10 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfingdad View Post
Oh, and I'd also recommend that you try and hit them on a monitor before buying.  Bring your 46 and your 56 as baselines (so if you're indoors, you don't have to rely on the calibration of the machine), and that way you can get a better idea of whether or not a 50* or perhaps a 52* would be a better fit.  You might even find that 51* is ideal, in which case you could have them bend a 50. :)

 

that's what I did - I brought my SW and LW and hit both to see the readout, and then full swing all the ones in between until I split the difference consistently.  I just took that loft wedge - turned out to be the 50

 

I matched my wedges, not my iron set.  I use the 50 as a full swing more than any of the other 3 wedges.  (though i use the SW most due to other shots)

post #11 of 12
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandomGolfer View Post
 

I go with:

 

PW: 130yds

52: 115yds

60: 90yds

 

The key however, is working on a 3/4 swing with the PW to fill the void. I just don't have room for 4 wedges. Which club are you taking out to accommodate it? I use a driver, 3 wood, and 17 degree hybrid.

 

AJ

i only have 13 clubs in my bag at the moment so i have an open spot. i have

1. Driver

2. 3 Wood

3-9 Irons

10. PW

11. 56

12. 60

13. putter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfingdad View Post
 

I'd actually consider looking at a 50* that matches your 56 and 60, rather than the one that matches your other irons.  I have a 50* gap that matches the rest of my irons, and its fine ... however, I've read a review on here (I think it's one of Erik's - not sure which exact product though) that explains that it might be better for your mindset to have that gap wedge looking more like your other "scoring" clubs, rather than your other irons.

 

I think there is definitely something to that.  Whenever I need to get new wedges, I will probably get a set of 3 and dump the 50* i20. :)

 

Oh, and I'd also recommend that you try and hit them on a monitor before buying.  Bring your 46 and your 56 as baselines (so if you're indoors, you don't have to rely on the calibration of the machine), and that way you can get a better idea of whether or not a 50* or perhaps a 52* would be a better fit.  You might even find that 51* is ideal, in which case you could have them bend a 50. :)

funny you mention bending the club because i was thinking of getting a wedge and having it bent to 51 because that would be right in the middle. lol i just played with a buddy who has a 50 degree today and i'd have to say some of the shots i feel comfortable hitting with it were great. anything 125 and in i felt in control. 

post #12 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by KyleAnthony View Post

10. PW (46)

11. 56

.

funny you mention bending the club because i was thinking of getting a wedge and having it bent to 51 because that would be right in the middle.

 

splitting the loft is NOT the same as splitting the distance

 

we still follow the rules of physics here, mister

 

you get more lateral distance affect on the lower loft side (since you are now trading energy to get vertical takeoff) - so the distance will split lower than 51 degrees (48, 49, 50)

I suspect the tradeoff is an energy term, so it would be a squared relationship, not linear.

Go to the store and their simulator (or the range) - hit your 46 a few times, hit your 56 a few times - write down the results for your 'typ' contacts.  then try the 48 and 50 and see which split the results best (if they have the 52, hit it too, just to prove the point)

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Golf Talk
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Clubhouse › Golf Talk › Which wedge?