or Connect
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Practice Range › Instruction and Playing Tips › Just one tip you'd pass on to a beginner...?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Just one tip you'd pass on to a beginner...? - Page 5

post #73 of 80
One thing is go get fitted for golf clubs . That's the most important other then taking lessons , if your serious about playing.
post #74 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodstocks View Post

One thing is go get fitted for golf clubs . That's the most important other then taking lessons , if your serious about playing.

 

If you get fitted for clubs before you develop your swing, wouldn't that be a waste of time?

post #75 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by RFKFREAK View Post
 

 

If you get fitted for clubs before you develop your swing, wouldn't that be a waste of time?

 

 

I would think the OP would want to at least have the basics for a swing before being fitted, as new golfers swing's change.

post #76 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by RFKFREAK View Post
 

 

If you get fitted for clubs before you develop your swing, wouldn't that be a waste of time?

 

I would say it's better to learn with a tool that fits than it is to use improper (and unwanted) mechanics with the wrong tool, in hopes you can get it to work, before getting the right tool.

 

At a minimum clubs should have basic fitting for length, weight, lie angle, and acceptable shaft profile.

 

It's easier for a good player to hit a ball with a club that doesn't fit than it is for a poor player, but it's usually the poor player (that needs it the most) that doesn't have it.

post #77 of 80
Thread Starter 

Hi All, 

 

Original poster Sooper8 here.

 

I am going to post up a video of my swing tonight- go gentle on me ;-)

 

In fact, just be honest....(which might not be gentle, but it'll be the truth)

 

Thanks to all contributors

post #78 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by MS256 View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by RFKFREAK View Post
 

 

If you get fitted for clubs before you develop your swing, wouldn't that be a waste of time?

 

I would say it's better to learn with a tool that fits than it is to use improper (and unwanted) mechanics with the wrong tool, in hopes you can get it to work, before getting the right tool.

 

At a minimum clubs should have basic fitting for length, weight, lie angle, and acceptable shaft profile.

 

It's easier for a good player to hit a ball with a club that doesn't fit than it is for a poor player, but it's usually the poor player (that needs it the most) that doesn't have it.


I just figured that if I get fitted clubs now when my swing is terribad that when I start hitting it not so terribad that I'll have to get it re-adjusted.

post #79 of 80

Back in the day, very few of us got "fitted" for clubs. My thinking is this, when you first start out, buy an inexpensive set of clubs, get to where you have some control over all clubs, however long that takes. Once you get to the point where you can play a round of golf w/o spraying balls all over the place, and have a decent score, say under 110, then when you think your ready, go get fitted for some good clubs. As your swing improves, the clubs can be modified. When you get so good that you need new clubs, your not out big $$$$, the $$$ you save can go for lessons. My 3 cents, and I'm sticken  to it.

post #80 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer 4 View Post
 

Back in the day, very few of us got "fitted" for clubs. My thinking is this, when you first start out, buy an inexpensive set of clubs, get to where you have some control over all clubs, however long that takes. Once you get to the point where you can play a round of golf w/o spraying balls all over the place, and have a decent score, say under 110, then when you think your ready, go get fitted for some good clubs. As your swing improves, the clubs can be modified. When you get so good that you need new clubs, your not out big $$$$, the $$$ you save can go for lessons. My 3 cents, and I'm sticken  to it.

Yeah, I have a starter set and upgraded the driver, 3 and 5 wood in spring 2013.

 

Was debating getting new irons next spring but worried about using them and then having to possibly pay for another set once my swing is decent.  Plus - depending on how my swing might change, it might impact what type of irons I want, no?

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Instruction and Playing Tips
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Practice Range › Instruction and Playing Tips › Just one tip you'd pass on to a beginner...?