or Connect
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Pro Shop › Clubs, Grips, Shafts, Fitting › What wedge should I buy? Here's some really good reading to help us ...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

What wedge should I buy? Here's some really good reading to help us ...

post #1 of 12
Thread Starter 

For those who have lots of questions about wedges, what to look for, what loft degree(s) to consider, how much bounce is right, gap between degree of loft and the always popular, "Should I buy a lob wedge" question, here's a great link provided by Titleist:

 

http://www.titleist.com/vokey_wedge_guide/

 

I used this before buying a couple of wedges.  What I was most interested in was getting wedges with proper loft gaps between clubs and the bounce angle of the wedges for the course conditions I see most of the time. Very interesting reading and good info to help us spec and buy the right wedges.

 

Disclaimer:  Link for informational purposes only.  I have no affiliation with Titleist in any way.

 

Enjoy,

 

dave .

post #2 of 12

I have a 4 degree wedge gap between my pw and lw( I have 4 wedges). I have a pw/46 gw/50 both came with my set and I have a 54 and 58 vokey both are 14 degrees of bounce. My advice is come up with a dollar amount you can spend and a number of clubs you want to purchase. I have heard nothing but good things about edel wedges but they were a little out of my price range.  I had intended on getting Cleveland's but when I hit the vokey's they felt a lot better to me. From what Ive learned about bounce (on this forum) you can't have to much.  I know people have their own personal opinion on that but once I learned the quickie pitching technique I picked up wedges with a lot of bounce.  Good luck and Id make sure you hit them before you buy them.

post #3 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakester23 View Post
 

I have a 4 degree wedge gap between my pw and lw( I have 4 wedges). I have a pw/46 gw/50 both came with my set and I have a 54 and 58 vokey both are 14 degrees of bounce. My advice is come up with a dollar amount you can spend and a number of clubs you want to purchase. I have heard nothing but good things about edel wedges but they were a little out of my price range.  I had intended on getting Cleveland's but when I hit the vokey's they felt a lot better to me. From what Ive learned about bounce (on this forum) you can't have to much.  I know people have their own personal opinion on that but once I learned the quickie pitching technique I picked up wedges with a lot of bounce.  Good luck and Id make sure you hit them before you buy them.

I've used that set up, but also I have tried dropping the 50 and 54 and using a 52 instead.  BTW, where did you get the 58/14 Vokey? Mine is 58/12.  I didn't think Vokey made a 14.

post #4 of 12
Ordered it from golfsmith. It might be a 12 but I think it's a 14 I'd have to look.
post #5 of 12

Here's a link from club designer Ralph Maltby that offers a "big picture view" of the different types (PW, GW, SW, LW, HL) of wedges available. Might a good primer before the Vokey "how to" site.

 

I have always admired the engineering achievements and variety of Vokey wedges, I just don't care for the feel.

 

Note on wedges and shaft length: The last few years, many wedge makers have really decreased the shaft increment lengths from wedge type to wedge type. In the early 2000s you ended up with maybe 1/4" difference in shaft length between, say, PW and GW. Now, many models have just 1/8" different in shaft length.

 

For numbered irons, the old rough planning rule: for the average golfer, 1/2" more shaft length + 4* less loft meant the ball went 10 yards farther, as you went from, for example, 7i to 6i.

 

Let's say your wedges are 46*, 50* and 54*, and there's only 1/8" difference from wedge to wedge: that means you'll be getting less than 10 yds. difference on full shots going up and down the wedges. This will also help determine your yardage gap on quarter- and half-swing wedge shots.

 

Just wanted you to be aware of the new realities on stock shaft length in wedges, That's why some golfers have gone to 6* loft differences from wedge to wedge, to increase yardage gap between wedges with minimal differences in shaft length.

post #6 of 12

The best player on straight forward wedge shots that I know is constantly tinkering with the loft of his wedges. A couple of days ago he had us change his lofts.

 

His 60 (that he didn't like and rarely used) was actually 58 and we bent it to 54.

 

We bent his 56 to 52 and his 52 to 48.

 

I've played many rounds with him and can't ever remember him hitting a high flop shot or very high spin shot, and from his reaction when I hit one I doubt if he's got those shots, but he's such a good ball striker and course manager that he doesn't leave himself in positions to need it (totally unlike me).

 

I guess the moral of that is if you are going to be wild as hell (like me) you better have all sorts of short game techniques in the bag and if you are a good ball striker through the bag (like him) you can get away with only straight forward standard wedge techniques.

post #7 of 12
How do you hit the high spinning shot ms256.
post #8 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakester23 View Post

How do you hit the high spinning shot ms256.


A lot more club head speed, or more negative angle of attack, or more loft, or any combination of those compared to a "standard" shot of the same distance.

 

P.S. Every one of those factors also increases risk over a standard shot.

 

OT for this thread but yes the same is true for any shot from any distance.


Edited by MS256 - 12/21/13 at 3:37pm
post #9 of 12
Is that something us use from around the greens or from a little distance?
post #10 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by MS256 View Post


A lot more club head speed, or more negative angle of attack, or more loft, or any combination of those compared to a "standard" shot of the same distance.

Also, it depends on what type of ball you play. Certain ball models in the distance category are difficult to stop on partial wedge shots, even if you hit it crisply.

 

I use TopFlite Gamer, a mid-spin ball. By stop on partial pitch shots, I don't mean backing the ball up. I mean the ball hits, checks up a little, and releases maybe 3 to 5 feet.

post #11 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave s View Post
 

For those who have lots of questions about wedges, what to look for, what loft degree(s) to consider, how much bounce is right, gap between degree of loft and the always popular, "Should I buy a lob wedge" question, here's a great link provided by Titleist:

 

http://www.titleist.com/vokey_wedge_guide/

 

I used this before buying a couple of wedges.  What I was most interested in was getting wedges with proper loft gaps between clubs and the bounce angle of the wedges for the course conditions I see most of the time. Very interesting reading and good info to help us spec and buy the right wedges.

 

Disclaimer:  Link for informational purposes only.  I have no affiliation with Titleist in any way.

 

Enjoy,

 

dave .

 

Get as much bounce as you can

 My Edel Wedges (Or "Super Bounce and Why It's Good For You" or "The Sweet Spot is Finally in the Right Place!") 

 

For loft gaps I think 5-6* gaps are good.  My pitching wedge is 46*, then I go 52 and 58.

post #12 of 12
Just revamped my set.
45° PW with set
49° Special PW
53° Gap Wedge
57° Sand Wedge
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Clubs, Grips, Shafts, Fitting
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Pro Shop › Clubs, Grips, Shafts, Fitting › What wedge should I buy? Here's some really good reading to help us ...