or Connect
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Clubhouse › Rules of Golf › Adding measurements from laser to yardage book for tournaments
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Adding measurements from laser to yardage book for tournaments

post #1 of 44
Thread Starter 

What the real question here is can a player make additional measurements using the slope feature during practice rounds and use those measurements for a tournament afterwards? I did see numerous professionals using Bushnells just like mine at Olympic and was curious if they were also getting elevation distances as well.

post #2 of 44

No problem. Information collected before a round may be recorded for use during the round. You may not actually measure gradient during a round. 

 

The lasers that the pros used will not have a gradient feature.

post #3 of 44
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rulesman View Post
 

No problem. Information collected before a round may be recorded for use during the round. You may not actually measure gradient during a round. 

 

The lasers that the pros used will not have a gradient feature.


Why would they not have the slope feature if it's allowed to retrieve important measurements? IMO this is imperative to playing from elevations on a course you would be unfamiliar with. Still a little confused but I do believe in a practice round it will be okay to obtain gradient measurements during a practice round and record on a yardage book for use during competition. I'm sorry if I misunderstood.

post #4 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by flopster View Post
 


Why would they not have the slope feature if it's allowed to retrieve important measurements? IMO this is imperative to playing from elevations on a course you would be unfamiliar with. Still a little confused but I do believe in a practice round it will be okay to obtain gradient measurements during a practice round and record on a yardage book for use during competition. I'm sorry if I misunderstood.

 

Perhaps I misunderstood. I assumed you meant they were using bushnells during the round.

post #5 of 44

They probably were using elevation. But their yardage books will often have those pre-marked, too, and often they're just confirming things in practice rounds.

 

Note that elevation can play differently if you hit the ball higher or lower than average.

post #6 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by iacas View Post
 

They probably were using elevation. But their yardage books will often have those pre-marked, too, and often they're just confirming things in practice rounds.

 

Note that elevation can play differently if you hit the ball higher or lower than average.

 

Do you mean during the round?

 

 

If their bushnells have an elevation feature they cannot be used during a round (even if the feature is not used or even switched off).

post #7 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rulesman View Post
 

Do you mean during the round?

 

:doh:

 

<sarcasm>Yeah, we're talking about pros using range finders WITH elevation enabled DURING SCORING ROUNDS AT THE U.S. OPEN!</sarcasm>

 

He's clearly talking about practice rounds. Both the OP and I have said "practice rounds."

post #8 of 44

The construction of the sentences misled me into thinking that the posts were suggesting that the pros may be using (the same) DMDs in scoring rounds that they had previously used in practice rounds to measure gradient.

 

If that was so, then they were in breach of the rule whether or not the feature was used or enabled.

post #9 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rulesman View Post

The construction of the sentences misled me into thinking that the posts were suggesting that the pros may be using (the same) DMDs in scoring rounds that they had previously used in practice rounds to measure gradient.

If that was so, then they were in breach of the rule whether or not the feature was used or enabled.

But the pros don't allow dmd's of any kind during competition anyway, do they? I've never seen a caddy pull out a laser during a round.
post #10 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfingdad View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rulesman View Post

The construction of the sentences misled me into thinking that the posts were suggesting that the pros may be using (the same) DMDs in scoring rounds that they had previously used in practice rounds to measure gradient.

If that was so, then they were in breach of the rule whether or not the feature was used or enabled.
But the pros don't allow dmd's of any kind during competition anyway, do they? I've never seen a caddy pull out a laser during a round.

 

No they don't.  The caddie and the player add to the preprinted yardage books with information obtained in many ways - with lasers, by pacing, by playing those shots in practice rounds.  On the greens, they also roll balls and putt from every possible angle to each of the anticipated hole positions.  That information is also added to the yardage books that both of them carry during tournament play.  

 

Despite all of that planning and preparation, they still misclub, they still misread putts.  It all goes to show just how tough a game this really is.

post #11 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfingdad View Post

But the pros don't allow dmd's of any kind during competition anyway, do they? I've never seen a caddy pull out a laser during a round.

 

Correct: the PGA Tour (and the USGA, and the R&A, in events they control) does not allow DMDs at all.

 

That's precisely why assuming that's what's being asked about players at the U.S. Open is ridiculous.

post #12 of 44

Using any information gathered and written down in a yardage book from an electronic device during practice is OK...since the yardage book isn't an electronic device...

post #13 of 44
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rulesman View Post
 

No problem. Information collected before a round may be recorded for use during the round. You may not actually measure gradient during a round. 

 

The lasers that the pros used will not have a gradient feature.

Why??? I understand what Erik said about players hitting shots at different elevations but I'm also aware you do get the degrees the elevation is as well and that may be prudent info for a player at that level. I think the real question just never got through well enough but it eventually got answered.

post #14 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack2putt View Post
 

Using any information gathered and written down in a yardage book from an electronic device during practice is OK...since the yardage book isn't an electronic device...

It's OK because the information has been gathered before the round rather than because the yardage book isn't electronic.  There is nothing to stop a player using an electronic device during a round to look up information previously entered into it. What he cannot of course do, is to use it to calculate, measure or gauge anything during his round that might assist his play.

post #15 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack2putt View Post
 

Using any information gathered and written down in a yardage book from an electronic device during practice is OK...since the yardage book isn't an electronic device...

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColinL View Post
 

It's OK because the information has been gathered before the round rather than because the yardage book isn't electronic.  There is nothing to stop a player using an electronic device during a round to look up information previously entered into it. What he cannot of course do, is to use it to calculate, measure or gauge anything during his round that might assist his play.

 

 

Unless there is a Local Rule permitting the measuring of distance and the device has no non-conforming functions. ;-)

post #16 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rulesman View Post
 

 

 

 

 

Unless there is a Local Rule permitting the measuring of distance and the device has no non-conforming functions. ;-)

Indeed, but then only distance.  Your ;-) and raise you ;-);-).

post #17 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColinL View Post
 

Indeed, but then only distance.  Your ;-) and raise you ;-);-).

so your're saying the one that measures gravitational pull on the ball can't be used unless otherwise stated in a local rule? ;-)

post #18 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by flopster View Post
 

What the real question here is can a player make additional measurements using the slope feature during practice rounds and use those measurements for a tournament afterwards? I did see numerous professionals using Bushnells just like mine at Olympic and was curious if they were also getting elevation distances as well.

the answer to your first question is yes ;-) simple right lol

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Rules of Golf
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Clubhouse › Rules of Golf › Adding measurements from laser to yardage book for tournaments