or Connect
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Pro Shop › Clubs, Grips, Shafts, Fitting › Scratches after the first use?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Scratches after the first use?

post #1 of 18
Thread Starter 

Hi there,

I went to a driving range to test my new club that I have received. It is a fairway wood. I guess clubs are made to use and they come flaws but should expect it after the first time?

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Is there anything to do? I am, I can point out very careful with my stuff but I want to stick must be in good visibility and give good results next year.Sure it's black so it appears lighter. It's any thing I can do?

post #2 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by AcatreN View Post
 

Hi there,

I went to a driving range to test my new club that I have received. It is a fairway wood. I guess clubs are made to use and they come flaws but should expect it after the first time?

 

Is there anything to do? I am, I can point out very careful with my stuff but I want to stick must be in good visibility and give good results next year.Sure it's black so it appears lighter. It's any thing I can do?

 

Yep.   Nothing unusual there.  You're hitting hard objects that have sand and dirt on them with considerable force.  You're gonna get scratches and dings.

 

Nothing that will affect the performance of the club, in the least.

post #3 of 18
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by David in FL View Post
 

 

Yep.   Nothing unusual there.  You're hitting hard objects that have sand and dirt on them with considerable force.  You're gonna get scratches and dings.

 

Nothing that will affect the performance of the club, in the least.

Very sad that the sleek blue and black surface will not be as nice. One gets the impression that they will affect the next shots. In the example of my irons, they are the gray so that I do not see scratches in the same way.

 

Don't believe the balls that I hit with has not been anything like that. There was a driving range so think they've only been used where they stood pratice on all balls.

post #4 of 18

Can't really comment as the posted photos are out of focus.

post #5 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by AcatreN View Post

Hi there,
I went to a driving range to test my new club that I have received. It is a fairway wood. I guess clubs are made to use and they come flaws but should expect it after the first time?
















Is there anything to do? I am, I can point out very careful with my stuff but I want to stick must be in good visibility and give good results next year.Sure it's black so it appears lighter. It's any thing I can do?
It will happen. Black looks great but it will scratch. Fortunately it will not affect the playability of the club, only cosmetics. See below...
post #6 of 18

Not sure what you find so upsetting. Possibly you should only buy used golf clubs in the future. They come "pre-scratched."

post #7 of 18

Just wait until you use it in a fairway bunker. The face of my fairway's look sand blasted. If you don't like that I recommend staying away from black pearl finishes. My wedges are hammered.

post #8 of 18
This is why I am a big fan of used clubs. Not abused clubs but rather a well taken care of used club for like half the price.
post #9 of 18

Still will probably face a situation where even used clubs will be subject to new wear and tear. Hard dirt areas near trees, native areas just off the fairway etc. As mentioned earlier it's what happens when metal passes through dirt and makes contact with hard objects. Now if the damage comes from dropping a brand new driver on to the cart path and paint goes flying yeah that sucks.

post #10 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by AcatreN View Post

 

Is there anything to do? I am, I can point out very careful with my stuff but I want to stick must be in good visibility and give good results next year.Sure it's black so it appears lighter. It's any thing I can do?

 

As others have said, it very common, especially with clubs that have black finishes on the face and sole.  Doesn't effect the performance of the club.  From hitting a lot of balls, tour players clubs will have the black finish worn/scratched off on the bottom of the sole and on the center of the face.

 

Here's my hybrid

 

post #11 of 18

Just adds character to the club!  Don't worry about what your clubs look like.  Take care of them and keep them clean, but don't sweat the scratches and dings, it's normal and there is nothing you can do to prevent it.  Unless you wanted to tape up the sole of your clubs all the time, then they would look even worse!

post #12 of 18

I don't mind the scratches on the bottom and the face(as long as in the center;-)) but anything on top of the club does annoy me, commonly known as idiot mark, friend of mine has the bad habit of borrowing my hybrids without asking and put the club back in the bag before putting the cover back on and there you go put a nice nick across the top when it hit my 5 iron, then my 2 hybrid was in pristine condition until he hit it out of a fluffy lie BAM idiot mark, I'm getting both refinished and logo this summer and then it's hands off.

post #13 of 18

As has been said, the little scratches won't hurt anything except the gleam from an unused club's finish.  There is sand, and the ground is usually full of small rocks and pebbles (sometimes not so small...)  Clubs that show wear are part of having clubs.  If those scratches bother you, I'd suggest keeping your car out of public parking lots!

post #14 of 18
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by georgeshot View Post


It will happen. Black looks great but it will scratch. Fortunately it will not affect the playability of the club, only cosmetics. See below...

 

I guess is very sensitive to flaws in all my gadgets that they would influence the coming shots.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WUTiger View Post
 

Not sure what you find so upsetting. Possibly you should only buy used golf clubs in the future. They come "pre-scratched."

 

I guess is very sensitive to flaws in all my gadgets and just not golf clubs. This club, I've received so it haven't cost my any money.I like to take care of my things, whether they are expensive, cheap or something that I have received as a gift.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave2512 View Post
 

Just wait until you use it in a fairway bunker. The face of my fairway's look sand blasted. If you don't like that I recommend staying away from black pearl finishes. My wedges are hammered.

I have never used or seen anyone with such a club in a bunker. I usually use a sandwegde.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmanbooyaa View Post

This is why I am a big fan of used clubs. Not abused clubs but rather a well taken care of used club for like half the price.

Like I quoted to WUTiger: I guess is very sensitive to flaws in all my gadgets and just not golf clubs. This club, I've received so it haven't cost my any money.I like to take care of my things, whether they are expensive, cheap or something that I have received as a gift.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvmac View Post
 

 

As others have said, it very common, especially with clubs that have black finishes on the face and sole.  Doesn't effect the performance of the club.  From hitting a lot of balls, tour players clubs will have the black finish worn/scratched off on the bottom of the sole and on the center of the face.

 

Here's my hybrid

 

The pros are replacing their gadgets after a maybe max 3 seasons? Since I am not someone who can afford to buy new just like that but I would love to take care of my stuff as much as possible. Think it more noticeable on black surfaces that my club has over a gray / silver. I played also with a 7-iron on the same occasion and it felt that it had serious flaws that are not my other irons have been after all that I have used those.

 

 

So there are no scratches or any appearance that could affect the shots in the practice / theory?

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Man View Post
 

Just adds character to the club!  Don't worry about what your clubs look like.  Take care of them and keep them clean, but don't sweat the scratches and dings, it's normal and there is nothing you can do to prevent it.  Unless you wanted to tape up the sole of your clubs all the time, then they would look even worse!

I get to work with this to not worry so much about scratches. What is the best to clean then? Is it using any damp cloth and then wipe with a dry golf towel?

post #15 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by AcatreN View Post

 

 

The pros are replacing their gadgets after a maybe max 3 seasons? Since I am not someone who can afford to buy new just like that but I would love to take care of my stuff as much as possible. Think it more noticeable on black surfaces that my club has over a gray / silver. I played also with a 7-iron on the same occasion and it felt that it had serious flaws that are not my other irons have been after all that I have used those.

 

So there are no scratches or any appearance that could affect the shots in the practice / theory?

 

It depends on what the club is.  Some guys change wedges every couple of weeks and some guys have had the same set of irons for several years.  Generally players will change their equipment when the OEM they're sponsored by comes out with new stuff.

 

Scratches, nicks, bag chatter, all cosmetic, doesn't effect performance.

post #16 of 18

You can take care of your clubs but that won't prevent them from getting scratched up if you use them.  Scratches won't ruin their performance, so no worries.

post #17 of 18
It's sort of like the feeling of buying a new truck and putting that first load in the bed or drive it down through the brush. You cringe a little, but that's what you bought it for. After the first tme you think nothing of it.
post #18 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by AcatreN View Post
 

So there are no scratches or any appearance that could affect the shots in the practice / theory?

I get to work with this to not worry so much about scratches. What is the best to clean then? Is it using any damp cloth and then wipe with a dry golf towel?

 

You can get a bucket and put some dish soap and warm water in it, you only need a little bit of soap.  Let the club heads saok in the bucket for five or ten minutes, then whipe clean with a wet towel.  Then I rinse mine off in another bucket with clean water in it.  Then I dry with a towel.  Anything I'm going to put a head cover on, like the club you posted a picture of, I'm going to leave out over night or for atleast a few hours to make sure it's dry before I put the head cover back on.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Clubs, Grips, Shafts, Fitting
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Pro Shop › Clubs, Grips, Shafts, Fitting › Scratches after the first use?