or Connect
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Clubhouse › Rules of Golf › Red stakes
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Red stakes - Page 2

post #19 of 25

The diagram in the decision may be a little confusing at first glance.

The arc drawn from X2 to Y2 does not cross land. However, the ruling is based in a straight line from X2 to Y2, which does cross land.

In the case in point, the line from the entry point to the green spot does cross land so the green spot is not on the opposite margin. 

post #20 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by David in FL View Post
 

 If he had crossed to right of the peninsula, he'd have had the fairway side as an option, right?

 Right.

post #21 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by David in FL View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fourputt View Post
 

 

Not if the ball last crossed the margin at the point where the yellow arrow is.  Side opposite from that point is across the pond farther left.  In order for the green spot to be valid, the ball would have to have last crossed to the right of the point of the peninsula.  It's only in that case that the opposite side would be to the right across the finger of water toward the fairway.  David posted the diagram from decision 26-1/14 which shows the treatment for this situation.  He doesn't get to cross the peninsula and 2 more hazard boundaries to proceed under this rule.  He either drops on the peninsula 2 clublengths from where the ball crossed, or directly across the hazard at a point equidistant from the hole.  Directly across depends on which side of the peninsula the ball crossed to enter the hazard.

 

Ahhhhhh, the extra hazard boundry is the difference, even though it's the same hazard.  That makes sense.....  If he had crossed to right of the peninsula, he'd have had the fairway side as an option, right?

 

Yes.  Look at positions X1 and Y1 in the diagram you posted.  That is exactly the situation that the OP posted.  Note that the only option is crossing the small bay, but not the larger expanse of water.  If point Y1 was to the left of that bit of land, then his option would be on the far side of the pond, but not the near side.

post #22 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by professor71 View Post

Thanks guys for the feedback. The fact that the finger of ground is however not part of the hazard and has red stakes on all sides of it. The ball did not cross to the right side of the stream at all. I think that he should have dropped on the finger of ground and not on the right of the hazard as his point of entry was over the finger of ground. The players argument was that as it is the same hazard and the markers are red he could drop on the right.

 

No, that was not the point. Point is that the crossing of the hazard margin needs to be exactly known in this case. Ball does not have to have been on southside of stream/dam at all to be able to drop on southside. It depends where it crosses the margin on the finger. If it crossed finger on southern "shore" then the drop would be fine, but if it crossed the northern "shore" (as drawn) then the drop was bad.

post #23 of 25
Thread Starter 
Understood and agreed. If my memory serves me well it crossed on the northern side as drawn. Will remember your point and use it in future. Thank you everyone.
post #24 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by professor71 View Post

Understood and agreed. If my memory serves me well it crossed on the northern side as drawn. Will remember your point and use it in future. Thank you everyone.

 

Glad to help you get it straight.  Welcome to the forum and don't be a stranger.

post #25 of 25
Thread Starter 
Thanks. I won't
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Rules of Golf
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Clubhouse › Rules of Golf › Red stakes