or Connect
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Clubhouse › Rules of Golf › Hole In One?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Hole In One? - Page 3

post #37 of 45
Rick. Have to fly to Sacramento . Will talk later a1_smile.gif
post #38 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by David in FL View Post
 

 

I understand......but in actual application, as often as not, your marker is your FC and even a golfing buddy.   Little to no difference in me playing my weekly match against my buddies.  All have long established handicaps.  We play by the rules, we play knowing that the round must be counted for our hcp whether we play "on the button" or not, and we mark each other's scores because we're competing.

 

In actual application, there's really very little different.

 

In practice there seems to be psychological thing that makes it different when playing in the Saturday or Sunday Medal with a field of 100+ playing for prizes and kudos and playing with a marker simply to try and improve your handicap.

In most comps handicap considerations come a rather lower on the ladder than potential prizes.

It may also be because of the competition rating adjustment (CSS) where other players' performances can affect your score you are playing against the whole field. You are only playing the course rating and conditions in a supplementary round.

post #39 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fourputt View Post

 

 

Most courses only move a tee forward when they also move the hole to the back of that green, thus maintaining the proper length.  If the entire course has the tees moved up, then the rating would be incorrect for the length you are actually playing.  You would need to use the correct rating for the length of the set of tees you actually playing from and ignore the color of the markers.

 

This is something I have never seen in Europe and only read about taking place in the States. In my country tee locations are changed according to the wear of the grass/ground and the same goes with pin positions. This has no bearing on the rating of the hole, none whatsoever. Rating is done from the 'official' teepoint to the centre of the green. Playing distance may vary from day to day, and in fact it always does (at least where I have played in Europe).

 

Also in the EGA handicap system only the distance from teeing ground to the center of the green is relevant. The total length of the course must not change more than 100 meters in order to be valid for handicap purposes. And again, pin locations are irrelevant, only the location of tee markers counts.

post #40 of 45

FWIW to the OP, that would not be an official HIO as it was not holed during a stipulated round.

 

There are numerous HIO clubs in the world and they have strict criteria to accept a member. The one I know of requires the HIO to be holed during a stipulated round.

post #41 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ignorant View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fourputt View Post

 

 

Most courses only move a tee forward when they also move the hole to the back of that green, thus maintaining the proper length.  If the entire course has the tees moved up, then the rating would be incorrect for the length you are actually playing.  You would need to use the correct rating for the length of the set of tees you actually playing from and ignore the color of the markers.

 

This is something I have never seen in Europe and only read about taking place in the States. In my country tee locations are changed according to the wear of the grass/ground and the same goes with pin positions. This has no bearing on the rating of the hole, none whatsoever. Rating is done from the 'official' teepoint to the centre of the green. Playing distance may vary from day to day, and in fact it always does (at least where I have played in Europe).

 

Also in the EGA handicap system only the distance from teeing ground to the center of the green is relevant. The total length of the course must not change more than 100 meters in order to be valid for handicap purposes. And again, pin locations are irrelevant, only the location of tee markers counts.

 

My home municipal course moves the tees and holes daily (I can tell when I step up on the tee if the hole is front, middle or back), and the tee boxes are big enough and wide enough that wear is never a problem, even on par 3 holes.  It's only on holes where players commonly play an iron that wear should be an issue anyway.  

post #42 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fourputt View Post
 

  It's only on holes where players commonly play an iron that wear should be an issue anyway.  

 

You haven't seen the divots my best friend can make on the tee with his driver. :roll:

post #43 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dormie1360 View Post

Rick. Have to fly to Sacramento . Will talk later a1_smile.gif

 

There are requirements organizations have if you want them to certify your HIO.  I get that.  The rules of golf have rules on how a course is to be played.  I get that.

 

You lose me with this idea that the perceived difficulty of the feat has some bearing on whether or not it's legitimate, or at the very least implying it's accomplishment has somehow been diminished.  By whose standard?  Difficulty is relative to a person's ability.

 

 I have a 4 handicap.  I'd be thrilled to make a HIO on a 100 yard par 3.  If it were in a round where the up tees had to be used, so what. I'm counting it.  Most amateur golfers can't regularly hit a Par 3 from any distance.

 

We have a Par 5 at my course that is 485 yards from the men's tees.  With a decent drive I can be there in two.  When I eagle the hole, do I think less of it because it wasn't on the 550 Par 5.  Hell no.

 

So I go out and shoot a 75 from 5800 yards.  I played well.  Believe me, I could easily shoot an 85 from the same tees.  It's golf.

 

I've probably derailed this thread, which I've been know to often do.  Not really sure what the poor OP thinks.   Sorry........

 

Happy New Year to all.

post #44 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColinL View Post
 

 

You haven't seen the divots my best friend can make on the tee with his driver. :roll:

 

:offtopic:

 

 

We've got a guy at our club like this.  Nice guy.   Actually plays pretty well...about a 10-12.  Hit's down on EVERYTHING. I always can tell by the tee box if he has been playing that day.

 

 I was working a playoff hole in our member guest.  He tees off on a par 4.  Ball goes about 30 yards.  The driver head went about 10.  The "what the hell do I do now"  look he gave me as he stood there holding his headless golf shaft was priceless.

post #45 of 45

The USGA says the following on their website:

 

Validity of Hole in One

 

Q. What constitutes the validity of a hole in one?

A. The Rules of Golf do not address the issue of the validity of a hole-in-one. It is up to the Committee to determine whether a hole-in-one is valid. The USGA recommends that a hole-in-one be considered valid:

a. If made during a round of at least nine holes, except that a hole-in-one made during a match should be acceptable even if the match ends before the stipulated round is completed.

b. If the player is playing one ball; a hole-in-one made in a practice round in which the player is playing two or more balls should not be acceptable.

c. If attested by someone acceptable to the Committee.

d. If made at a hole with a temporary tee and/or putting green in use, even if the Committee did not specifically define the teeing ground with tee-markers; the length of the hole at the time should be stated on any certificate.

e. If made in a "scramble" competition, which is played as follows: A side comprises four players. Each member of a side plays from the teeing ground, the best drive is selected, each member plays a second shot from where the best drive is located, and so on.

 

My position would be that he made a hole-in-one and he should mention the distance when bragging about the feat:-)

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Rules of Golf
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Clubhouse › Rules of Golf › Hole In One?