or Connect
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Practice Range › Instruction and Playing Tips › In general, does coming in shallower mean higher, more penetrating ball flight?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

In general, does coming in shallower mean higher, more penetrating ball flight?

post #1 of 8
Thread Starter 

By shallower, my question encompasses several "interpretations", I mean angle of attack and swing plane if that makes sense.

 

And vice-versa for steep? 

post #2 of 8

Higher yes, more penetrating...how do you mean?  Many people equate more penetrating with lower.  But I find better spin and carry, with a more shallow AOA that I would say is more penetrating as far as not getting knocked down by the wind.

post #3 of 8
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by cipher View Post
 

Higher yes, more penetrating...how do you mean?  Many people equate more penetrating with lower.  But I find better spin and carry, with a more shallow AOA that I would say is more penetrating as far as not getting knocked down by the wind.

 

More penetrating is a bad choice of words, more distance with less effort is the gist I was going for.

post #4 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by nevets88 View Post
 

 

More penetrating is a bad choice of words, more distance with less effort is the gist I was going for.

That is exactly it.

post #5 of 8

Given the same dynamic or delivered loft, a shallower AoA will result in higher ball speed and lower spin loft (i.e. more deformation, less spin) than a steeper AoA.

 

But the same dynamic loft is rarely delivered in those two cases, so…

post #6 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by iacas View Post
 

Given the same dynamic or delivered loft, a shallower AoA will result in higher ball speed and lower spin loft (i.e. more deformation, less spin) than a steeper AoA.

 

But the same dynamic loft is rarely delivered in those two cases, so…

That does make sense.  I would assume though that a steeper AOA with the same lofted club decreasing the dynamic loft would produce a bit less spin though?  Maybe it is negligible over a few degrees.

post #7 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by nevets88 View Post
 

 

More penetrating is a bad choice of words, more distance with less effort is the gist I was going for.

 

"Penetrating" could also mean "not ballooning" then generally yes, shallow AoA would tend to promote that.

post #8 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by cipher View Post
 

That does make sense.  I would assume though that a steeper AOA with the same lofted club decreasing the dynamic loft would produce a bit less spin though?  Maybe it is negligible over a few degrees.

 

If all else is equal (ball type, clubhead speed, contact location, etc.), spin loft* is proportional to spin. More spin loft*, more spin.

 

* For spin lots of ~ 45° or less.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Instruction and Playing Tips
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Practice Range › Instruction and Playing Tips › In general, does coming in shallower mean higher, more penetrating ball flight?