or Connect
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Clubhouse › Golf Talk › Which chipping method for high handicapper?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Which chipping method for high handicapper? - Page 2

post #19 of 26
As a high handicapper working hard over the winter to be in better shape for next season I have found that going to the 9i instead of the pw or 56degree wedge has helped my game immensely. What I noticed today during a practice session in between the rain is that chipping on to the chipping green at my club with the 9i from various distances have me much tighter groupings than with my 56 or 60 degree wedges with many of my 9i chips being close to one putt territory. Using my 9i is helping to bring my scores down and I'll also continue to work on my wedge game too but right now, when I can, my go to club is a 9i to chip on instead of a wedge. Regards Mailman
post #20 of 26

A lot of chipping has to do with the turf you're facing:

  • Fairway area (close cut) in front of green: You might be able to putt it. But, you would need to practice this. (Caution: Doesn't work well on soggy days).
  • Slightly shaggy area around the green: Use an 8i chip, pop the ball over the fluff and land it on the green rolling toward hole.
  • Light rough around green: PW or GW chip, depending on which works best for you.

 

You'll learn on your own when you can chip, and when you need a more lofted pitch shot. (Lob shot is an extreme version of the pitch shot; if you don't like lobs, avoid them).

 

Also, remember one rule for short shots: the shallower the take-away and the shallower the follow-through, the more roll you get. If you have a shallow take-away but come above the waist on the follow-through, you may come up short on your roll.

 

:-O Consider taking a short-game lesson. A good pro can pick up your tendencies for success, and steer you that way. 

post #21 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by mailman View Post

As a high handicapper working hard over the winter to be in better shape for next season I have found that going to the 9i instead of the pw or 56degree wedge has helped my game immensely. What I noticed today during a practice session in between the rain is that chipping on to the chipping green at my club with the 9i from various distances have me much tighter groupings than with my 56 or 60 degree wedges with many of my 9i chips being close to one putt territory. Using my 9i is helping to bring my scores down and I'll also continue to work on my wedge game too but right now, when I can, my go to club is a 9i to chip on instead of a wedge. Regards Mailman

 

I recently started using 9i more and it helped with my game.   I also tried 7i for much longer chipping - one that has to roll quite a way on green.   The problem with it is, I don't have range facility to practice such long chip putts.   Instead, I use pitching with wedge in such occasions.

post #22 of 26
I putt off the green wayyyy more than I chip. But when Im forced to chip I grab anything from my Hybrid to 9i
post #23 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by iacas View Post
 

See this thread:

 

Chipping With a Putting Method
started on 11/10/13 last post 08/19/14 at 11:54am 47 replies 7820 views

 

My home course is pretty soft and soppy lately and I hate chipping out of those conditions.  Never knew really what to do.  Also, the into-the-grain chip has always given me trouble - as I'm sure it does to most.  I'm normally a follower of the Mickelson Hinge-and-Hold method.  And it has served me pretty well so far.  Chipping is actually the best part of my game.  But I've always had trouble with these two scenarios.  
 

I tried this last week when I got into these situations.  Maybe not all the way, but a lot less Hinge in my Hinge-and-Hold.  Almost none really.  Gotta say I liked it.  I'll probably stay with Phil for my chips with better lies - but this is definitely going into the play book.  Thanks Iacas.

post #24 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meltdwhiskey View Post
 

 

My home course is pretty soft and soppy lately and I hate chipping out of those conditions.  Never knew really what to do.  Also, the into-the-grain chip has always given me trouble - as I'm sure it does to most.  I'm normally a follower of the Mickelson Hinge-and-Hold method.  And it has served me pretty well so far.  Chipping is actually the best part of my game.  But I've always had trouble with these two scenarios.  
 

I tried this last week when I got into these situations.  Maybe not all the way, but a lot less Hinge in my Hinge-and-Hold.  Almost none really.  Gotta say I liked it.  I'll probably stay with Phil for my chips with better lies - but this is definitely going into the play book.  Thanks Iacas.

 

Yeah hinge and hold won't work very well in wet, soft conditions.  Leading edge will want to "stick" too much.

post #25 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by mvmac View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meltdwhiskey View Post
 

 

My home course is pretty soft and soppy lately and I hate chipping out of those conditions.  Never knew really what to do.  Also, the into-the-grain chip has always given me trouble - as I'm sure it does to most.  I'm normally a follower of the Mickelson Hinge-and-Hold method.  And it has served me pretty well so far.  Chipping is actually the best part of my game.  But I've always had trouble with these two scenarios.  
 

I tried this last week when I got into these situations.  Maybe not all the way, but a lot less Hinge in my Hinge-and-Hold.  Almost none really.  Gotta say I liked it.  I'll probably stay with Phil for my chips with better lies - but this is definitely going into the play book.  Thanks Iacas.

 

Yeah hinge and hold won't work very well in wet, soft conditions.  Leading edge will want to "stick" too much.

 

It really does!  I had come to fear this shot a little.  And as we learned in the movie Point Break - fear causes hesitation and hesitation causes your worst fears to come true.

 

It is actually your post - should have thanked you as well.  Glad to have this in the arsenal now.

post #26 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meltdwhiskey View Post
 

 

It really does!  I had come to fear this shot a little.  And as we learned in the movie Point Break - fear causes hesitation and hesitation causes your worst fears to come true.

 

It is actually your post - should have thanked you as well.  Glad to have this in the arsenal now.

 

No problem, hope it helps.  Even when conditions are good, give it a try, might end up liking it better, bounce is your friend :-)

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Golf Talk
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Clubhouse › Golf Talk › Which chipping method for high handicapper?