or Connect
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Clubhouse › Golf Talk › The KyleAnthony Golf Opera Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The KyleAnthony Golf Opera Thread - Page 31

post #541 of 934
Kyle, congrats on the cut, I'm not overly familiar with your HC system and have looked through the thread, but can't see you posting much good scores lately, what were the rounds that caused/brought on the cut?

I may be missing something but I think your last score posted was a 98?
post #542 of 934
Quote:
Originally Posted by KyleAnthony View Post
 

i was kinda exaggerating cuz my putting isn't the best. but no realistically i just want to be able to chip it on with a chance at saving par

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyleAnthony View Post

Also if you really wanna know where I lose most my strokes is chipping.

Kyle - From everything you posted, I don't think it's any one thing on where you lose strokes.  3-OB balls, poor chipping (noted above) and a few times it was 38-40 putts.  Two of those are killers for the golf score, the OB balls are to me the worst, because those are wasted shots, hitting a couple bad chips is probably not as bad as you think (even single digit handicappers hit poor chips, I do it every round), and the putting as you say is not your strong suit.  

 

So how much time do you spend practicing your putting?  That seems like a quick way to save some strokes fast.

 

You say you hit a fade (about 1/2 a fairway), but what happens when you hitting the ball OB?  Is it your aim?  Or just a push to the right? Something else?  

 

So until you get our driver straightened out, try to aim further left then you think you need to (or hit a different club off the tee to keep the ball in play), even if your chipping out of the trees or can't reach the green, it is better then re-loading another ball off the tee.  Staying in-bounds and getting under 36 putts would save you 6-10 strokes right away.  And then when you have a repeatable ball flight, and you know that you can control it better, hopefully it will translate into lower scores.

 

My last two rounds in January were nothing special but here's my stats, I didn't make a birdie either day either, so you don't need eye popping stats to shoot 80 or under.

 

80 (Par 72 Army Navy CC, 71.2, 128)

8 FIR

8 GIR

33 Putts

4 up and downs

1- 3 putt

 

78 (par 71 Country Club of Fairfax, 71.7, 133)

5 FIR

6 GIR

31 Putts

5 up and downs

No 3-putts

post #543 of 934
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsgolfer View Post
 

 

Kyle - From everything you posted, I don't think it's any one thing on where you lose strokes.  3-OB balls, poor chipping (noted above) and a few times it was 38-40 putts.  Two of those are killers for the golf score, the OB balls are to me the worst, because those are wasted shots, hitting a couple bad chips is probably not as bad as you think (even single digit handicappers hit poor chips, I do it every round), and the putting as you say is not your strong suit.  

 

So how much time do you spend practicing your putting?  That seems like a quick way to save some strokes fast.

 

You say you hit a fade (about 1/2 a fairway), but what happens when you hitting the ball OB?  Is it your aim?  Or just a push to the right? Something else?  

 

So until you get our driver straightened out, try to aim further left then you think you need to (or hit a different club off the tee to keep the ball in play), even if your chipping out of the trees or can't reach the green, it is better then re-loading another ball off the tee.  Staying in-bounds and getting under 36 putts would save you 6-10 strokes right away.  And then when you have a repeatable ball flight, and you know that you can control it better, hopefully it will translate into lower scores.

 

My last two rounds in January were nothing special but here's my stats, I didn't make a birdie either day either, so you don't need eye popping stats to shoot 80 or under.

 

80 (Par 72 Army Navy CC, 71.2, 128)

8 FIR

8 GIR

33 Putts

4 up and downs

1- 3 putt

 

78 (par 71 Country Club of Fairfax, 71.7, 133)

5 FIR

6 GIR

31 Putts

5 up and downs

No 3-putts

my OB balls are when i try to hit it harder i slice it more than a fade. i've been changing my swing so my approach shots are awful now my tee shots are getting better and better so I'm happy with that. i drove 2 short par 4's today with my 3 wood so that was nice. my GIR is a huge part of my game that needs improvement. i was averaging about 6 per round, but my misses were way off. no I'm only hitting like 2 GIR but its a straight ball flight

 

 

 

today i played 45 holes at tukwet. we only scored 27 due to our 4th not getting there on time until after 9 and the last 9 it was getting dark

 

i shot 43-42-48. on the last 18 Champions course. i hit 9 FIR 2 GIR and 33 putts. no penalty strokes

post #544 of 934
Quote:
Originally Posted by KyleAnthony View Post
 

my OB balls are when i try to hit it harder i slice it more than a fade. i've been changing my swing so my approach shots are awful now my tee shots are getting better and better so I'm happy with that. i drove 2 short par 4's today with my 3 wood so that was nice. my GIR is a huge part of my game that needs improvement. i was averaging about 6 per round, but my misses were way off. no I'm only hitting like 2 GIR but its a straight ball flight

 

 

I'm curious: if you're hitting it straighter now, why are you hitting so few greens? And how is your swing better if you're hitting so many less?

 

And when you say you're driving a green, do you mean actually keeping it on the green or just getting near pin high around the green?

post #545 of 934
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuciusWooding View Post

I'm curious: if you're hitting it straighter now, why are you hitting so few greens? And how is your swing better if you're hitting so many less?

And when you say you're driving a green, do you mean actually keeping it on the green or just getting near pin high around the green?
I'm not hitting my irons better. My driver and 3 wood are good. There is a par 4 dog leg left it was 252 to the front. I landed short and rolled up. The next is a short par 4 that is 262 down hill over a canyon thing. I landed on the right side of the green. My iron shots are now pushes and pulls. I can't get my club face square at impact. Or something
post #546 of 934

Kyle, what @LuciusWooding is pointing out is that your swing is not "better" or really any "different."

 

Some days you are good with the driver. Other days your irons seem okay. Some days both are "on" a bit more, other days they're both "off" more than usual. Some days you shoot 39-55, other days you shoot 47-47.

 

Your swing is still the same, and real change takes a long time.

 

I've been working on the same thing in my golf swing for about two or three years now. It's getting better all the time, but it's still not where I want it to be.

 

If there's one general thought that comes from this entire thread, it's that you don't know how much you don't know. Honestly you're not even that close to knowing how little you know.

 

And that's fine. I've said it before that not everyone needs to know all kinds of stuff. I've said too that the best way to improve is to be a "stupid monkey" (though being a stupid monkey means focusing on and doing the ONE thing that you need to do in that moment to improve, not "trying" various things every time you are out there). I'm good with people who don't want to improve, too, who just enjoy the game of golf and being outside and hanging with their buddies.

 

But you're not that last guy, at least not yet, because those people don't really even join forums. They certainly don't start threads like this.

 

Your swing looks almost the same as before. You've attempted to compensate for your swing path being way to the left by pointing your feet way to the right (which explains why you're having more success from the tee, but not with irons), but otherwise, it's the same motion. Why? Because you don't actually ever work on anything. You "try" things - at full speed, with full swings, and often while playing a round of golf. You've yet to actually "work" on your golf swing, and work is required to make changes.

 

And that's the first thing you truly do need to know if you want to be at all successful in your quest.

 

If you don't wish to do actual work, then let us know and we'll close this thread. But I still think you're sincere in wanting to meet whatever goals you currently have, so meet up with @tristanhilton85 soon, and he'll help you, and perhaps open your eyes a bit to what it takes to make actual changes. You'll be surprised how quickly the picture will change, and then I hope you appreciate and respect how long it will take for your pattern to change, for the picture change to become "permanent."

 

Because as @mvmac and myself and a few others will say, it's first about changing the picture, then it's about making the change permanent. Your swing is going to look the same in a year if you continue down the path you've been traveling. It's time to jump from whatever track (to nowhere) that you're on now, and move to a track that's going to progress forward towards your goals. It's not going to be a direct route, but the one you're on now is just going in circles. Shit or get off the pot, as they say.

post #547 of 934
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by iacas View Post
 

Kyle, what @LuciusWooding is pointing out is that your swing is not "better" or really any "different."

 

Some days you are good with the driver. Other days your irons seem okay. Some days both are "on" a bit more, other days they're both "off" more than usual. Some days you shoot 39-55, other days you shoot 47-47.

 

Your swing is still the same, and real change takes a long time.

 

I've been working on the same thing in my golf swing for about two or three years now. It's getting better all the time, but it's still not where I want it to be.

 

If there's one general thought that comes from this entire thread, it's that you don't know how much you don't know. Honestly you're not even that close to knowing how little you know.

 

And that's fine. I've said it before that not everyone needs to know all kinds of stuff. I've said too that the best way to improve is to be a "stupid monkey" (though being a stupid monkey means focusing on and doing the ONE thing that you need to do in that moment to improve, not "trying" various things every time you are out there). I'm good with people who don't want to improve, too, who just enjoy the game of golf and being outside and hanging with their buddies.

 

But you're not that last guy, at least not yet, because those people don't really even join forums. They certainly don't start threads like this.

 

Your swing looks almost the same as before. You've attempted to compensate for your swing path being way to the left by pointing your feet way to the right (which explains why you're having more success from the tee, but not with irons), but otherwise, it's the same motion. Why? Because you don't actually ever work on anything. You "try" things - at full speed, with full swings, and often while playing a round of golf. You've yet to actually "work" on your golf swing, and work is required to make changes.

 

And that's the first thing you truly do need to know if you want to be at all successful in your quest.

 

If you don't wish to do actual work, then let us know and we'll close this thread. But I still think you're sincere in wanting to meet whatever goals you currently have, so meet up with @tristanhilton85 soon, and he'll help you, and perhaps open your eyes a bit to what it takes to make actual changes. You'll be surprised how quickly the picture will change, and then I hope you appreciate and respect how long it will take for your pattern to change, for the picture change to become "permanent."

 

Because as @mvmac and myself and a few others will say, it's first about changing the picture, then it's about making the change permanent. Your swing is going to look the same in a year if you continue down the path you've been traveling. It's time to jump from whatever track (to nowhere) that you're on now, and move to a track that's going to progress forward towards your goals. It's not going to be a direct route, but the one you're on now is just going in circles. Shit or get off the pot, as they say.

ya i am starting to realize i don't know much and i am truly thankful tristan said he would show me some stuff he has learned so maybe i can start practicing the right way and actually improve. i saw something on golf fix where you put 2 tees down and the ball in the middle and it helps work on impact. i am going to do this at the range because lately I'm hitting off the toe and occasionally I'm hitting off the heel. so i think thats what ill work on until i can meet up with tristan to learn real practicing.

post #548 of 934
Quote:
Originally Posted by KyleAnthony View Post
 

ya i am starting to realize i don't know much and i am truly thankful tristan said he would show me some stuff he has learned so maybe i can start practicing the right way and actually improve. i saw something on golf fix where you put 2 tees down and the ball in the middle and it helps work on impact. i am going to do this at the range because lately I'm hitting off the toe and occasionally I'm hitting off the heel. so i think thats what ill work on until i can meet up with tristan to learn real practicing.

 

I'd rather see you, from a square stance, put balls down like this:

 

      ^
      |
      |
      |       *
      |         •
      |           *
      |
      |
Target Line

 

 

* are the balls you don't want to hit

• is the ball you do want to hit.

 

Then you can at least work on contact AND path a bit.

 

It'll be better than nothing, though honestly, not much.

post #549 of 934
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by iacas View Post
 

 

I'd rather see you, from a square stance, put balls down like this:

 

      ^      |      |      |       *      |         •      |           *      |      |Target Line

 

 

* are the balls you don't want to hit

• is the ball you do want to hit.

 

Then you can at least work on contact AND path a bit.

 

It'll be better than nothing, though honestly, not much.

thank you i will work on that. i remember you saying I'm swinging left and I'm dying trying to swing right

post #550 of 934
Quote:
Originally Posted by iacas View Post

 

Your swing looks almost the same as before. You've attempted to compensate for your swing path being way to the left by pointing your feet way to the right (which explains why you're having more success from the tee, but not with irons), but otherwise, it's the same motion. Why? Because you don't actually ever work on anything. You "try" things - at full speed, with full swings, and often while playing a round of golf. You've yet to actually "work" on your golf swing, and work is required to make changes.

 

Correct real change takes time, takes Tiger a good year or two to make his changes stick. Tiger puts a lot of hours in hitting balls where it feels like crap (because it's different), making slow rehearsal swings (also see him do this on the course) and using a camera to verify whether the picture is changing or not.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyleAnthony View Post
 

ya i am starting to realize i don't know much and i am truly thankful tristan said he would show me some stuff he has learned so maybe i can start practicing the right way and actually improve. i saw something on golf fix where you put 2 tees down and the ball in the middle and it helps work on impact. i am going to do this at the range because lately I'm hitting off the toe and occasionally I'm hitting off the heel. so i think thats what ill work on until i can meet up with tristan to learn real practicing.

 

While the tee drill may be a good band aid drill it's not attacking the problem. It's not going to change the loading of the arms or shaft on the backswing, it's not going to make the picture change. You'll basically just make some compensation so you don't hit the tees. 

 

Kind of like when you started to hit some shanks, you decided to put more weight into your heels, again that's not fixing the problem at it's source. You're hitting it off the toe and heel because your backswing causes you to steepen the shaft on the downswing. Whether you hit it in the center, off the toe or heel, the swing is the same, just the timing of the compensation is different.

 

My advice is to meet up with Tristan, he's got some good drills for you to do to make measurable changes.

post #551 of 934
Quote:
Originally Posted by mvmac View Post
 

While the tee drill may be a good band aid drill it's not attacking the problem. It's not going to change the loading of the arms or shaft on the backswing, it's not going to make the picture change. You'll basically just make some compensation so you don't hit the tees.

 

Right. That's what I was saying, @KyleAnthony, when I said "It'll be better than nothing, though honestly, not much."

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyleAnthony View Post
 

I'm dying trying to swing right

 

Then schedule a lesson with @mvmac.

 

@tristanhilton85 will be the first to tell you that while he can show you some things, he's not an instructor.

post #552 of 934
Quote:
Originally Posted by iacas View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mvmac View Post
 

While the tee drill may be a good band aid drill it's not attacking the problem. It's not going to change the loading of the arms or shaft on the backswing, it's not going to make the picture change. You'll basically just make some compensation so you don't hit the tees.

 

Right. That's what I was saying, @KyleAnthony, when I said "It'll be better than nothing, though honestly, not much."

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyleAnthony View Post
 

I'm dying trying to swing right

 

Then schedule a lesson with @mvmac.

 

@tristanhilton85 will be the first to tell you that while he can show you some things, he's not an instructor.

 

@KyleAnthony. Seriously, it's cheaper than one outing at Pelican Hill, and will really help you. Even one lesson helped me a lot.

 

I took this advice from Erik about 3-4 months ago, and have since then spent less money than on ineffective lessons, and hit farther and more consistently than ever.

 

If only I could get used to the fact that I could hit the greens now.

post #553 of 934
Thread Starter 

its more of a money thing than not wanting to as far as a lesson with @mvmac I'm hoping to get my tax return back soon though

post #554 of 934
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lihu View Post
 

 

@KyleAnthony. Seriously, it's cheaper than one outing at Pelican Hill, and will really help you. Even one lesson helped me a lot.

 

I took this advice from Erik about 3-4 months ago, and have since then spent less money than on ineffective lessons, and hit farther and more consistently than ever.

 

If only I could get used to the fact that I could hit the greens now.

the only reason i golfed pelican hill was a tournament with the golf channel am tour. otherwise i would never do that. i cancelled my last two tournaments too because of money

post #555 of 934
Quote:
Originally Posted by KyleAnthony View Post
 

its more of a money thing than not wanting to as far as a lesson with @mvmac I'm hoping to get my tax return back soon though


It's really worth every dollar spent. I was also skeptical, and only now wish I had done it immediately after Erik suggested it to me. I would be a month further down the road to success.

post #556 of 934
Quote:
Originally Posted by KyleAnthony View Post
 

its more of a money thing than not wanting to as far as a lesson with @mvmac I'm hoping to get my tax return back soon though

I don't claim to know your finances but I presume, like most of us, you pay to play golf, right?

 

If so, tax return or not, it's simply a case of "would you rather?"

 

Would you rather play 72-90 holes (or whatever it is currently) per week, and occasionally waste some time on the driving range accomplishing nothing, all the while shooting anywhere from 85-95 (unless it's a tournament ;)) and almost assure yourself of staying in that rut forever ...

 

OR ...

 

Would you rather cut back to 36-54 (or whatever) for a couple of weeks - one lesson isn't going to cost much more than 2, maybe 3 rounds of golf, depending - and learn what you need to practice, AND how to practice it properly, thus almost assuring that you will get better immediately AND set the foundation for you to be able to continue to improve over time?

 

No offense, but if those are the two choices, you'd have to be kind of a dummy not to see which is better.

post #557 of 934
Thread Starter 

right now I'm using my christmas presents for golf. i got a play all day pass for morongo and a round at shore cliff. otherwise my money is going to my motorcycle payment and credit cards. but i have an interview at morongo for the golf course so thats cool haha

post #558 of 934
Quote:
Originally Posted by KyleAnthony View Post
 

... and a round at shore cliff. ...

Gotcha.  By the way ... don't expect much from this one.  It's not a very nice course. ;)

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Golf Talk
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Clubhouse › Golf Talk › The KyleAnthony Golf Opera Thread