or Connect
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Clubhouse › Golf Talk › The KyleAnthony Golf Opera Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The KyleAnthony Golf Opera Thread - Page 47

post #829 of 934
Quote:
Originally Posted by KyleAnthony View Post

So I just noticed in my stats for the round I missed 7 putts 6' and under. Wow I need to get that under control

 

don't spend too much time away from your priority pieces @mvmac has given you. Fixing putting wont take much effort to do. You can keep it sharp with minimal effort just buy doing sporadic putting practice every week or so. Rest of the time, spend on your long game. You mentioned before you suffer from penalty strokes off the tee. Well, that is your full swing, not your putting. 

post #830 of 934
Quote:
Originally Posted by KyleAnthony View Post

So I just noticed in my stats for the round I missed 7 putts 6' and under. Wow I need to get that under control


Does that happen every round or did you just have a bad day with shorter putts? I hate to say this but the way you come across is that your statement makes the assertion that you can fix this in a day or less, fact is some days are better than others and you can either chase around a better game thinking it's just a few hours of practice that day or come to the conclusion your in this for the long haul and nothing is going to get fixed with your golf game for at least a month at a time before any noticeable changes happen, the reality is you have to undo or unlearn what your doing wrong first then figure out and understand how to correct the flaw and then accept the fact that it's going to take way more time than I think to get this fixed and the final reality is we never fix our swings we just make better ones once we put in the time and effort to improve.

post #831 of 934
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by saevel25 View Post

don't spend too much time away from your priority pieces @mvmac
 has given you. Fixing putting wont take much effort to do. You can keep it sharp with minimal effort just buy doing sporadic putting practice every week or so. Rest of the time, spend on your long game. You mentioned before you suffer from penalty strokes off the tee. Well, that is your full swing, not your putting. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by flopster View Post


Does that happen every round or did you just have a bad day with shorter putts? I hate to say this but the way you come across is that your statement makes the assertion that you can fix this in a day or less, fact is some days are better than others and you can either chase around a better game thinking it's just a few hours of practice that day or come to the conclusion your in this for the long haul and nothing is going to get fixed with your golf game for at least a month at a time before any noticeable changes happen, the reality is you have to undo or unlearn what your doing wrong first then figure out and understand how to correct the flaw and then accept the fact that it's going to take way more time than I think to get this fixed and the final reality is we never fix our swings we just make better ones once we put in the time and effort to improve.


To be honest this was the first time I tracked putting distance. It was just an eye opener. Putting has never been my strong suit either
post #832 of 934
Quote:
Originally Posted by flopster View Post
 


Does that happen every round or did you just have a bad day with shorter putts? I hate to say this but the way you come across is that your statement makes the assertion that you can fix this in a day or less, fact is some days are better than others and you can either chase around a better game thinking it's just a few hours of practice that day or come to the conclusion your in this for the long haul and nothing is going to get fixed with your golf game for at least a month at a time before any noticeable changes happen, the reality is you have to undo or unlearn what your doing wrong first then figure out and understand how to correct the flaw and then accept the fact that it's going to take way more time than I think to get this fixed and the final reality is we never fix our swings we just make better ones once we put in the time and effort to improve.

 

 

Well said. Kyle as you may know, my 1st lesson with Mike and Dana was last Jan. I'm still trying to get my pieces down pat..repetition of those pieces and doing them correctly is the only way I'm gonna get em right. If I go to the range, ball flight, distances are Not what I'm even thinking about. The drills, to make sure I'm doing them right, as there are mirrors at the range, I check myself about every 10 drills. I may hit a full shot once after at least 30 balls I've hit doing my drills, and then it's at about 30 to 40%. Even from my last lesson a couple of weeks ago, the drill Mike and Dana gave me, it was real hard just to make decent contact, i.e. out of 50 balls, I hit 2 that were real good. Now I can at least make contact 90 out of 100 balls, and I make good contact about 40 to 50 out of the same 100 balls, they go higher, and further, though that's not the goal, it's Solid contact, so I know I'm on the right track. So, in the last 2 weeks I haven't hit a full shot at anything above 40%. I watch all these guys hitting great shots, going way out there, yet I have to refrain, knowing that when I can again smack some balls, they should be way better than what I do now.

 

Focus Kyle..it's the best way to improve.

 

Huh..sorry for the long winded post, must be the Dad instinct in me..lol 

post #833 of 934
Quote:
Originally Posted by KyleAnthony View Post



To be honest this was the first time I tracked putting distance. It was just an eye opener. Putting has never been my strong suit either


Neither mine, for some reason I used to putt much better and I do have flashes here and there so I know I can do it it's just a matter of sticking with what works and don't try peeking at the ball before it leaves the putter that is a flaw I constantly have to remind myself to avoid.

post #834 of 934
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer 4 View Post


Well said. Kyle as you may know, my 1st lesson with Mike and Dana was last Jan. I'm still trying to get my pieces down pat..repetition of those pieces and doing them correctly is the only way I'm gonna get em right. If I go to the range, ball flight, distances are Not what I'm even thinking about. The drills, to make sure I'm doing them right, as there are mirrors at the range, I check myself about every 10 drills. I may hit a full shot once after at least 30 balls I've hit doing my drills, and then it's at about 30 to 40%. Even from my last lesson a couple of weeks ago, the drill Mike and Dana gave me, it was real hard just to make decent contact, i.e. out of 50 balls, I hit 2 that were real good. Now I can at least make contact 90 out of 100 balls, and I make good contact about 40 to 50 out of the same 100 balls, they go higher, and further, though that's not the goal, it's Solid contact, so I know I'm on the right track. So, in the last 2 weeks I haven't hit a full shot at anything above 40%. I watch all these guys hitting great shots, going way out there, yet I have to refrain, knowing that when I can again smack some balls, they should be way better than what I do now.

Focus Kyle..it's the best way to improve.

Huh..sorry for the long winded post, must be the Dad instinct in me..lol 
I appreciate the input and advice. What do you do when you go play a round? I try to keeps swing slow and try to get my position at the top right and solid follow through
Quote:
Originally Posted by flopster View Post


Neither mine, for some reason I used to putt much better and I do have flashes here and there so I know I can do it it's just a matter of sticking with what works and don't try peeking at the ball before it leaves the putter that is a flaw I constantly have to remind myself to avoid.
I have a hard time with distance control sometimes. I leave my putts short a lot
post #835 of 934
Quote:
Originally Posted by KyleAnthony View Post


I appreciate the input and advice. What do you do when you go play a round? I try to keeps swing slow and try to get my position at the top right and solid follow through
I have a hard time with distance control sometimes. I leave my putts short a lot

 

I have gotten to the point where now I don't even think about anything really.. Def. not thinking about any mechanics.. For me, I make sure I am set up correctly to the target line with a good posture, and that the ball is in good position and then just take it back and smack..  leave the mechanics at home, so that you can enjoy your round is what I think..

 

 Maybe others have a different view, I would def. like to hear more.

post #836 of 934

If putting is the problem there is just one simple thing that helped me so much.

I pulled a lot off putts to the left.

 

What i was thinking off if i would get a thicker grip i might lock my wrists so i couldn't pull the putt.

 

I bought a SuperStroke 3.0 installed it, after 2 weeks off getting used to the whole new feel, i began to make

more putts specially the ones between 3 and 6 feet. 

 

It helped me to get my hdd down by 2 shots. 

 

Best spend 25 dollars ever 

post #837 of 934
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abu3baid View Post
 

 

I have gotten to the point where now I don't even think about anything really.. Def. not thinking about any mechanics.. For me, I make sure I am set up correctly to the target line with a good posture, and that the ball is in good position and then just take it back and smack..  leave the mechanics at home, so that you can enjoy your round is what I think..

 

 Maybe others have a different view, I would def. like to hear more.

I would definitely agree with you about leaving the mechanics at home. Trying to work on your swing on the course will only make you play badly. Just think about how poorly we all hit the ball when practicing and trying to change the picture swing very slowly. I think that if you're practicing properly on the range and at home then swing changes will slowly creep into your swing when out on the course just swinging "normally". 

 

I would say though that like tiger does when he practice swings way left, i do like to take a practice swing with exaggerated feels if i feel i'm slipping towards bad habits and regression on the back 9 of a round.

post #838 of 934
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abu3baid View Post

I have gotten to the point where now I don't even think about anything really.. Def. not thinking about any mechanics.. For me, I make sure I am set up correctly to the target line with a good posture, and that the ball is in good position and then just take it back and smack..  leave the mechanics at home, so that you can enjoy your round is what I think..

 Maybe others have a different view, I would def. like to hear more.
I am gojng to try that for sure. Cuz working on my swing on the course does get way frustrating
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomvk77 View Post

If putting is the problem there is just one simple thing that helped me so much.
I pulled a lot off putts to the left.

What i was thinking off if i would get a thicker grip i might lock my wrists so i couldn't pull the putt.

I bought a SuperStroke 3.0 installed it, after 2 weeks off getting used to the whole new feel, i began to make
more putts specially the ones between 3 and 6 feet. 

It helped me to get my hdd down by 2 shots. 

Best spend 25 dollars ever 
I was pulling them a lot too and got the same grip and that helped my accuracy a lot!!! But kow I'm having distance control issues :/
Quote:
Originally Posted by FooFader View Post

I would definitely agree with you about leaving the mechanics at home. Trying to work on your swing on the course will only make you play badly. Just think about how poorly we all hit the ball when practicing and trying to change the picture swing very slowly. I think that if you're practicing properly on the range and at home then swing changes will slowly creep into your swing when out on the course just swinging "normally". 

I would say though that like tiger does when he practice swings way left, i do like to take a practice swing with exaggerated feels if i feel i'm slipping towards bad habits and regression on the back 9 of a round.
I noticed yesterday my old swing was starting to come back in play later in the round. I hit a couple pulls because unused to swing left so much and no with my stronger grip it went straight left. Maybe I'll try out a couple exaggerated swing before my approaches
post #839 of 934
Quote:
Originally Posted by KyleAnthony View Post


I am gojng to try that for sure. Cuz working on my swing on the course does get way frustrating

 

Of course it is. The whole process of practicing is taking something that you want to change, and this process will have a lot of volatility to it, and making it more consistent. Basically it takes a long time to make a change consistent enough to score. You might get lucky from time to time, and put things together, and you might BLOW UP on the course form time to time.

 

If you are practicing on the course, you have neither the tools, nor the time to make it a meaningful practice. Its an act of futility to think a person can play good golf by trying to practice your swing while you play. Basically it is a waste of time. 

post #840 of 934
Quote:
Originally Posted by saevel25 View Post
 

If you are practicing on the course, you have neither the tools, nor the time to make it a meaningful practice. Its an act of futility to think a person can play good golf by trying to practice your swing while you play. Basically it is a waste of time. 

 

Yep.

 

When you practice, practice.

 

When you play, just play.

post #841 of 934
Quote:
Originally Posted by iacas View Post
 

 

Yep.

 

When you practice, practice.

 

When you play, just play.

 

Sounds familiar ;-)

post #842 of 934
Quote:
Originally Posted by KyleAnthony View Post


I appreciate the input and advice. What do you do when you go play a round? I try to keeps swing slow and try to get my position at the top right and solid follow through
I have a hard time with distance control sometimes. I leave my putts short a lot

 

 

I haven't played for at least 3 months. What I'm trying to do is get my game/swing in order before I hit the course, I want to give myself the best chance to shoot a good score, and most importantly have the tools to at least if I execute that I have a good shot at scoring below 90,, but that's just me. I spent 3 hrs at the range last night, about 2:15 mins were spent just doing drills. I actually hit some full shots just to see if I had accomplished anything, I did, my full shots were longer, with less effort, now if I could just hit a dang fade..:loco:

 

As soon as I get my driver and 3 wood sorted, I'll be playing again. 

post #843 of 934
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer 4 View Post
 

 

 

I haven't played for at least 3 months

 

You are a better man than I.

 

The "3 months" I took off were from December to February and then got extended to mid April.  I don't have the will power to just practice and not play some. 

post #844 of 934
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer 4 View Post
 

 

 

I haven't played for at least 3 months. What I'm trying to do is get my game/swing in order before I hit the course, I want to give myself the best chance to shoot a good score, and most importantly have the tools to at least if I execute that I have a good shot at scoring below 90,, but that's just me. I spent 3 hrs at the range last night, about 2:15 mins were spent just doing drills. I actually hit some full shots just to see if I had accomplished anything, I did, my full shots were longer, with less effort, now if I could just hit a dang fade..:loco:

 

As soon as I get my driver and 3 wood sorted, I'll be playing again. 


You need to follow the "Go out and play" thread.

 

I suppose part of the satisfaction is improving your swing, but the main fun comes from playing. Even if you score in the mid-90's it's still a blast. So, you can't lose if you play.

post #845 of 934
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lihu View Post
 


You need to follow the "Go out and play" thread.

 

I suppose part of the satisfaction is improving your swing, but the main fun comes from playing. Even if you score in the mid-90's it's still a blast. So, you can't lose if you play.

 

 

I know, and I do miss playing, however, having to hit tee shots with my 4i on par 4's and par 5's just doesn't appeal to me...:-( 

post #846 of 934
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lihu View Post
 


You need to follow the "Go out and play" thread.

Totally agree.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer 4 View Post
 

I know, and I do miss playing, however, having to hit tee shots with my 4i on par 4's and par 5's just doesn't appeal to me...:-(

I think the solution, then, is to tell yourself that you're not playing a round, but you're just practicing on the course.  You're not going to get better as fast as you'd like by just practicing.  OTOH, I get that it's no fun to play bad either.  So if I was you, instead of practicing for 3 hours on the range in the evenings, maybe half that time you could go out on the course, play 9 holes, and don't keep score, hit multiple balls if/when you can/want to, etc, etc.  It gives you the opportunity to hit "real world" shots that the range cannot do.

 

I swear I am a plus handicapper at the range.  A lot of good that does me on the course. :beer:

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Golf Talk
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Clubhouse › Golf Talk › The KyleAnthony Golf Opera Thread