or Connect
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The 19th Hole › The Grill Room › Video Game Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Video Game Thread

post #1 of 55
Thread Starter 

For a couple months in the winter out of boredom I become a big kid again play a few video games.  I grew up playing them and in the winter I still find a bit of time for that.  The purpose of this thread is to share what you are playing, if it is fun, and what platform it is available on.  Also let us know if you find any good deals.

 

I have bee playing a computer game called Just Cause 2.  It is a wildly entertaining action shooter, in a ridiculous way.  You can grapple stuff and parachute all around the huge map and the game is just silly(part Batman part James Bond).  The object is to work with factions on a group of islands and do jobs for them and just create chaos and stunts are just part of it.  You are trying to flush out who the real power figure behind the faction uprising is.  The game was available on Steam for $2.99 and is probably pretty cheap on Amazon as well.  The reason for sharing it is that it is very cheap right now.

 

Here is one of the crazy stunt action scenes I had to do:

 

Here are some much better stunts:

post #2 of 55

I haven't really played video games in a very long time now.. However, not too long ago I remember being addicted to Team Fortress 2.. It's a great multi shooter game where you team up with others online and you face off against each other trying to just kill, blow up and destroy things.. You can play capture the flag, control point and other fun games.. Let us just say I spent too many hours playing it (only if I spent that time with my golf swing) :)

 

The other great game is called Half Life II and I am still waiting for the last and final installment, but it doesn't look like it is coming out..

 

Finally, a really cool game is called portal I & portal II.. very fun puzzles interactive game..

 

All the above are computer games.. I did play some play station and stuff, but nothing compares to the above IMO!

 

meet the medic (Team Fortress II)

 

 

This sure brings back some memories for me.. Ya.. I like to play the Demo Man the most, then the Medic and finally the Heavy! :)


Edited by Abu3baid - 1/5/14 at 1:32pm
post #3 of 55
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abu3baid View Post
 

I haven't really played video games in a very long time now.. However, not too long ago I remember being addicted to Team Fortress 2.. It's a great multi shooter game where you team up with others online and you face off against each other trying to just kill, blow up and destroy things.. You can play capture the flag, control point and other fun games.. Let us just say I spent too many hours playing it (only if I spent that time with my golf swing) :)

 

The other great game is called Half Life II and I am still waiting for the last and final installment, but it doesn't look like it is coming out..

 

Finally, a really cool game is called portal I & portal II.. very fun puzzles interactive game..

 

All the above are computer games.. I did play some play station and stuff, but nothing compares to the above IMO!

I really like portal although I have not played it much.  Very good stuff you have listed there.  Half Life II was fun as well although again I did not play it much.  A lot of these type of computer games can now be bought on amazon and steam for less than $5.  

 

I have been waiting for the new Mario Golf to come out which is delayed.  Nintendo cracks me up with their trailer ads, but here is the initial gameplay for the 3DS.  I am sure it will be out on all the Nintendo systems as well.  It should be a lot of fun and a nice change from Playing Tiger Woods or whatever EA is going to call it now..

 

post #4 of 55
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abu3baid View Post
 

 

meet the medic (Team Fortress II)

 

 

That reminds me of Surgeon Simulator, also under $5.  They must be connected somehow.  Hilarious review here.

post #5 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by cipher View Post
 

I really like portal although I have not played it much.  Very good stuff you have listed there.  Half Life II was fun as well although again I did not play it much.  A lot of these type of computer games can now be bought on amazon and steam for less than $5.  

 

I have been waiting for the new Mario Golf to come out which is delayed.  Nintendo cracks me up with their trailer ads, but here is the initial gameplay for the 3DS.  I am sure it will be out on all the Nintendo systems as well.  It should be a lot of fun and a nice change from Playing Tiger Woods or whatever EA is going to call it now..

 

 

I just couldn't help my self.. I had to play Half Life II to the end.. They have been saying the final installment will come out for a long time now.. I think everyone has given up on those guys by now.. Portal II was great as well as they made it a 2 person puzzle game where you had to actually work with your partner to complete the maze and eventually save your self (or not)..

 

Speaking of Nintendo.. My college days were filled with James Bond Golden Eye, I think at some point I was unbeatable at that game.. Then there was wrestemania N64 with my brothers and friends, those were long nights.. (I used to play with Steph McMan just to beat them with a girl :) )

 

Mario Cart was another game that I wasted hours on...

 

This is an interesting thread :) that brings back memories for sure...  I can tell you one thing.. having a family and kids (3 of them) now is much much more fun than those days.. The only expectation really us that my kids will be playing much cooler and more sophisticated games that I will probably not even understand.. Oh well, back to topic!

post #6 of 55
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abu3baid View Post
 

 

I just couldn't help my self.. I had to play Half Life II to the end..

I am guilty of not playing games to the end for sure.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abu3baid View Post
 

This is an interesting thread :) that brings back memories for sure...  I can tell you one thing.. having a family and kids (3 of them) now is much much more fun than those days.. The only expectation really us that my kids will be playing much cooler and more sophisticated games that I will probably not even understand.. Oh well, back to topic!

My brother got Lego Batman for my son for christmas on the xbox 360 and it has a cool old school feel to it a bit.  We have not played it much as he is not that into games yet but we have fun with it about once a week.  

 

The other game I have been playing a bit Pro Evolution Soccer 2013.  It is a great game and fun to play in anticipation of the World Cup this year.  

post #7 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by cipher View Post

The other game I have been playing a bit Pro Evolution Soccer 2013.  It is a great game and fun to play in anticipation of the World Cup this year.  

I bought FIFA 14 for Xbox 360 a few weeks ago after owning the 11 and 12 versions.

14 is by far the best soccer game I've played yet. It's not perfect, but they improved a lot of the little things that made 12 annoying, and they really bumped up the realism.
post #8 of 55
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamo View Post

I bought FIFA 14 for Xbox 360 a few weeks ago after owning the 11 and 12 versions.

14 is by far the best soccer game I've played yet. It's not perfect, but they improved a lot of the little things that made 12 annoying, and they really bumped up the realism.

I have heard that is really solid. I may need to give it a shot on the console. I got PES13 for the 3DS as it is supposedly great on that platform. I like it so far, but not having real player names is annoying and it is very tough. Still fun though and pretty much the only game I play on the system so far. I really like the become a legend mode where you start as a 17 year old club player and grow.
post #9 of 55
Thread Starter 

This looks fascinating:

 

post #10 of 55
Thread Starter 

This game is a love affair with M.C. Escher who is one of my heroes.  It is a physics based puzzle game, available for PC and is $9.99 on steam.  I may have to pick this up one day as I love all things in gray scale.  It looks beautiful.

post #11 of 55

I got a Nintendo DS (not the 3D one) for xmas. Any recommendations on games? Any golf games?

post #12 of 55
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernest Jones View Post
 

I got a Nintendo DS (not the 3D one) for xmas. Any recommendations on games? Any golf games?

Here is a good list that I found for some top games:

 

(Sort it by rating when it comes up)

 

http://www.ign.com/games/reviews?filter=latest

 

I like anything Mario.  Pokemon is fun.  I am sure you would like many of the puzzle games like N+.  There are some great old school games like Castlevania on it as well.   GTA Chinatown was supposed to be good although I never got into those games.  The IGN link is a great place to find out about some good ones.

 

Edit:

I forgot here are some golf games with good reviews.

http://www.ign.com/games/tiger-woods-pga-tour-08/nds-907933

http://www.ign.com/games/true-swing-golf/nds-748544

 

Ebay or Amazon for a lot of these probably.

post #13 of 55
Thread Starter 
I just picked this up, should be fun.
post #14 of 55

I pretty much only play games on my iPhone these days. The past month or so has been FIFA 14 and Deer Hunter 2014.

post #15 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by geauxforbroke View Post
 

I pretty much only play games on my iPhone these days. The past month or so has been FIFA 14 and Deer Hunter 2014.

 

This is the same for me, though I still have some console games that I definitely want to finish. I have The Last of Us for the PS3 that I only played one hour of and Assassin's Creed 3 that's still sitting aside. Haven't played these games mostly because my two little ones are around a lot. 

post #16 of 55
Thread Starter 

Speaking of evolution...  Octodad, Dadliest Catch.

post #17 of 55
Thread Starter 

For all the goat humpers around here. ;)


Edited by cipher - 2/14/14 at 6:13pm
post #18 of 55
I bought NBA 2K14 the other day. Why can't anyone make good basketball games anymore?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: The Grill Room
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The 19th Hole › The Grill Room › Video Game Thread