or Connect
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The 19th Hole › The Grill Room › Video Game Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Video Game Thread - Page 2

post #19 of 65
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamo View Post

I bought NBA 2K14 the other day. Why can't anyone make good basketball games anymore?

Good question.

post #20 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamo View Post

I bought NBA 2K14 the other day. Why can't anyone make good basketball games anymore?

Not sure what more you could want out of a basketball game. I have this on ps4 and it is the best basketball simulation I have played to date. It definitely makes you run plays instead of just running down and playing isolation trying to dunk or jack up shots from all over. I just wish they could have gotten NBA live 14's presentation to go with it.
post #21 of 65
In keeping with the spirit of the thread I am currently playing FIFA 14, NBA 2K14, and Battlefield 4 on ps4. Love them all. Waiting patiently for MLB the Show 14 and whatever EA is going to call the new tiger woods game. The graphics for both look incredible. Hopefully the gameplay is up to par.
post #22 of 65
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by big stoke View Post

In keeping with the spirit of the thread I am currently playing FIFA 14, NBA 2K14, and Battlefield 4 on ps4. Love them all. Waiting patiently for MLB the Show 14 and whatever EA is going to call the new tiger woods game. The graphics for both look incredible. Hopefully the gameplay is up to par.

I have PES13 but have been traditionally been a FIFA guy. I need to check out an MLB game this year.
post #23 of 65
I could be wrong but I think MLB The show is the only licensed MLB game this year. The show has been incredibly realistic since they started making it. I highly recommend it. Haven't played PES but heard good things about it, but then, FIFA has never given me a reason to stray.
post #24 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by big stoke View Post

Not sure what more you could want out of a basketball game. I have this on ps4 and it is the best basketball simulation I have played to date. It definitely makes you run plays instead of just running down and playing isolation trying to dunk or jack up shots from all over. I just wish they could have gotten NBA live 14's presentation to go with it.

I've just had way too many "WHY IS THIS GAME SO DAMN ANNOYING" moments. Players catching inbounds passes OB, way too many kicked ball violations and rebounds going over the backboard. Little stuff like that. I don't think the dribbling system is great either.
Quote:
Originally Posted by big stoke View Post

I could be wrong but I think MLB The show is the only licensed MLB game this year. The show has been incredibly realistic since they started making it. I highly recommend it. Haven't played PES but heard good things about it, but then, FIFA has never given me a reason to stray.

Yup, MLB 2K is apparently done, and despite the exclusivity deal running out a few years ago, EA hasn't said anything about rebooting MVP Baseball.

Too bad. I'd pay $60 right now for MVP 2005 with this year's rosters and 2014-level graphics.
post #25 of 65
A little over a week ago they re-released Sim City 4 on the Mac App Store for $20. I played the game on Windows for a while, but the Mac version was always much more expensive when they still made it. It was also released (in 2003) for PowerPC Macs, and apparently the patch they put out for Intel Macs only ever half-worked.

From what I understand, the Mac App Store version has been reworked a bit so that it's stable on Intel Macs, and I haven't had any problems as far as that's concerned. In fact, it was easily more stable than the Windows version I used to play.

There are still a few annoyances. It feels like a PC game. It doesn't use OS X's built-in full screen function, so switching between it and other apps is annoying. You have to completely restart the game if you want to switch between full screen and window mode, or to change resolutions.

Actually playing the game is great. It's more of a classic Sim City game than the version they released last year. Cities are bigger, and the game is less focused on micromanaging. That does make it somewhat limited in terms of what you can build.

Probably the best feature is how well cities interact. You can build a city entirely residential (or commercial, or industrial), and as long as you put the other zones in nearby cities and provide adequate transportation, the Sims will figure it out most of the time. There are downsides to this. For instance, a lot of the rewards rely on population size, so you can build a great industrial city but you'll only ever be able to build natural gas power plants because the solar and nuclear ones rely on population.

The big balancing act is between not spending too much money right away on transportation yet still providing your Sims with adequate transport later in the life of a city. You often have to completely gut the older parts of your city to lay down new highways and avenues.

I do wish there were more data views. When I'm trying to build bus stops I can't tell where the old ones are. Same with subway stops.

The grid structure of the game also limits what you can do. You can lay down roads diagonally, but it's seldom worth it. Building anything along the water (seaports, ferries, marinas, beaches) is pretty awful, because finding a gradual enough grade along the water directly perpendicular to the grid is tough.

There's no online feature, not that I particularly care.

Anyway, I've enjoyed it, and it's certainly worth the $20.
post #26 of 65

If I wasn't so busy with the book lately, I'd pick it up. I spent sooooooooo much time on SimCity back in the day, it was ridiculous.

 

I still remember some of the cheat codes. Unlimited money was fun. :)

 

I'll have to remember to pick this up after May…

post #27 of 65
Thread Starter 
Thanks for the review @jamo. I need to get a couple games on my Mac. I might just have to pick this up.
post #28 of 65

Anyone played Titanfall?

 

Been playing it on PC - it's A LOT of fun. It's a game where you can just jump right in and have fun.

 

Graphics are decent but not amazing ( running on 10 year old Steam engine ). But the gameplay is where it shines...running along walls, cloaking, jumping on top of enemy titans, melee with your won titan......It's on sale right ow, suggest you pick it up if you have a XBOX or PC

 

Here is the trailer

 

 

 

post #29 of 65
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kieran123 View Post

Anyone played Titanfall?

Been playing it on PC - it's A LOT of fun. It's a game where you can just jump right in and have fun.

Graphics are decent but not amazing ( running on 10 year old Steam engine ). But the gameplay is where it shines...running along walls, cloaking, jumping on top of enemy titans, melee with your won titan......It's on sale right ow, suggest you pick it up if you have a XBOX or PC

Here is the trailer





My brother has been playing it quite a bit and has had a lot of fun with it. He has frapps or whatever it is called and has recorded some of the gameplay for YouTube. It looks like pretty fun.
post #30 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by cipher View Post


My brother has been playing it quite a bit and has had a lot of fun with it. He has frapps or whatever it is called and has recorded some of the gameplay for YouTube. It looks like pretty fun.

 

When both teams are all in their titans it gets pretty intense.

 

The only thing I wish they would have added was the ability for the titans to jump

post #31 of 65
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kieran123 View Post
 

 

When both teams are all in their titans it gets pretty intense.

 

The only thing I wish they would have added was the ability for the titans to jump

Here is one of my brother's videos:

post #32 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by cipher View Post

Thanks for the review @jamo. I need to get a couple games on my Mac. I might just have to pick this up.

They have a few of Call of Duty games too, but you're paying a real premium over the Xbox versions. I have CoD 4: Modern Warfare, but only because they had it on sale at one point for $5. They sell the original Black Ops (released in 2010) for $40, pretty recently down from $50.
post #33 of 65
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamo View Post


They have a few of Call of Duty games too, but you're paying a real premium over the Xbox versions. I have CoD 4: Modern Warfare, but only because they had it on sale at one point for $5. They sell the original Black Ops (released in 2010) for $40, pretty recently down from $50.

Yeah I am definitely going to have to check some of those out.  I do have CoD4 on my windows system.  That is pretty fun, and I also got it because it was on sale.

 

I am still addicted to PES13.

 

I also pre-ordered Mario Golf which comes out in a couple weeks.  I will do a little writeup on that one.


 

I just purchased a game called Pushmo from the Nintendo eShop for the 3DS. It is a fun little puzzle game, for the price of about $7.

 

Pushmo:

post #34 of 65

That goat simulator was hilarious!

 

I am still on my old Xbox 360 but she has had a few upgrades.  HD, 6.1, all fiber optic.   Is the new xbox worth the money??  I know no one who has one.  Your thoughts?

 

One more question.  Which of the golf games do you find to be the best, and are special controllers needed?  I also have a WII without the motion sensor controls.  Thanks.

post #35 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by Always an 80 View Post

That goat simulator was hilarious!

I am still on my old Xbox 360 but she has had a few upgrades.  HD, 6.1, all fiber optic.   Is the new xbox worth the money??  I know no one who has one.  Your thoughts?

One more question.  Which of the golf games do you find to be the best, and are special controllers needed?  I also have a WII without the motion sensor controls.  Thanks.
I think it is because everyone is buying the ps4...
post #36 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valleygolfer View Post


I think it is because everyone is buying the ps4...

Do tell!  Why is the PS4 better?

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: The Grill Room
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The 19th Hole › The Grill Room › Video Game Thread