or Connect
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The 19th Hole › The Grill Room › Video Game Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Video Game Thread - Page 3

post #37 of 65

I have a PS4 with FIFA 14 and NBA 2K14. Both great games and the console's fantastic but a bit buggy.

Only real issue so far is that there aren't a lot of games to choose from, only a handful I'd really consider. I guess that will change over the next 6-12 months but it seems to have been quite a weak start after the initial launch.

post #38 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by Always an 80 View Post

Do tell!  Why is the PS4 better?
Idk why, just know the sales are better for the ps4.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JuddMack View Post

I have a PS4 with FIFA 14 and NBA 2K14. Both great games and the console's fantastic but a bit buggy.


Only real issue so far is that there aren't a lot of games to choose from, only a handful I'd really consider. I guess that will change over the next 6-12 months but it seems to have been quite a weak start after the initial launch.
Typical for a new console.
post #39 of 65

I've personally got an Xbox One, had it for about a month. I have Titanfall, Kinect Sports Rivals, Forza Motorsport 5, and Powerstar Golf on it, and I'm getting Watch Dogs as soon as it comes out (pre-order is paid off). Forza is great, though I am disappointed by the lack of tracks, including some of my favorites. Powerstar Golf is cool, though a bit bland after a bit, since they have just 4 or 5 courses--but it's $20, so I don't mind. Kinect Sports Rivals is a great conceptual game, but you need a good deal of space to play it, and even when you have that space, the tracking isn't great (particularly for Target Shooting). I have a mixed feeling with Titanfall, though. I really like the movement in it, it's great fun. The titans are a blast to play in, especially since I expected it to be a clunky experience. The problems come up with the horrible matchmaking (spent about an hour trying to get into a Capture the Flag match, only to constantly get thrown into already-started ones where the team had no chance) and how the lag results in many occasions where you get shot and killed long after you've rounded a corner.

 

I've also got a gaming PC, though I don't game on it much. I just picked up DOOM 3: BFG Edition (comes with the old games as well), and I intend to play it sometime soon. I have a bunch of other game as well (50-60), but since I don't have a proper computer desk (I use my computer in a chair with a snack table, with the computer plugged into my TV), playing games with a mouse and keyboard is tough. I have 2 wired controllers, but both are ghosting pretty badly, so they can be a pain to play with. As such, I just don't play much on the PC.

post #40 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by Always an 80 View Post
 

Do tell!  Why is the PS4 better?

 

Just to kind of give an opinion here, there's a lot of personal preference in picking the "better" console.

 

Where the PS4 shines:

 

--Non-gaming apps are free to use, while Microsoft makes you pay $60/year for Xbox LIVE Gold to use things like Netflix, and even Internet Explorer

--MLB 14: The Show, as the Xbox One has no baseball game

--Third-person adventure games, like Uncharted and God of War

--Stronger GPU, resulting in some games' getting higher-resolution releases, or higher frame rates at the same resolution

--Indie games everywhere

 

Where The Bone shines:

 

--Shooters, as Sony can't compare to Titanfall, Gears of War, or Halo; Killzone is pretty mediocre, and Resistance seems like it's over

--Sim racing, as Gran Turismo did not make it to the PS4, so Forza is the only sim racer around

--Frequent updates to the console, good software support

--Xbox LIVE Compute, which seems like it has solid potential to add some extra power/features to the platform, like Forza's Drivatars

 

As someone who doesn't care about Uncharted or The Last of Us, and has been on Xbox LIVE for 11+ years anyway, I prefer the Microsoft experience. The only thing Sony has that I want is baseball, and it's not worth a console purchase on its own. I'm bigger on shooters than anything, and Microsoft does them better. I have a 720p TV, so I don't care if the One's games launch at a lower resolution than the PS4, I can't tell. The One has the games I like, and that's what it comes down to, for me. However, there are certainly cases where the PS4 is better (only wanting multi-platform games, which look better on PS4 most of the time, only playing games offline and wanting to use Netflix, wanting The Elder Scrolls Online, which doesn't take a sub on PS4 but does on Xbox LIVE).

post #41 of 65
Just finished reistence 3 on regular difficulty for ps3.. Will write up a review for it if I remember.. I like the story line and the graphics + the interactions.. It was fun and kept me wanting to continue, it was over before I really started.. It would be a ton fun I bet with another player who plays at the same level.. Especially on hard difficulty as you would really need to work as one team! Fun
post #42 of 65
Picked up MLB the show for ps4. Loving it. Hard game but love the challenge
post #43 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abu3baid View Post

Just finished resistance 3 on regular difficulty for ps3.. Will write up a review for it if I remember.. I like the story line and the graphics + the interactions.. It was fun and kept me wanting to continue, it was over before I really started.. It would be a ton fun I bet with another player who plays at the same level.. Especially on hard difficulty as you would really need to work as one team! Fun

 

Resistance 3 -

 

An action shooter game basically that can be played as a single player or a 2 player co-op (not sure about online with multiple partners as I didn't try it)

 

Demo

 

 

An invasion from aliens has basically destroyed most of earth and spread a certain disease that turns people into zombie like looking things.. Doesn't look like the alien invaders actually control the zombie creatures, so it makes for interesting play at some points in the game.

 

Mission is to eventually go to New York to destroy this big transport machine thing that is freezing earth to make it living friendly for the alien creatures.  

 

There are about 10-12 weapons to choose from and you end up getting most of them pretty early in the game, although I found that weapon choice is important it really came down to a shot gun and the sniper rifle that I liked the most.  I don't think there is enough play time to really let you upgrade all of your weapons so I didn't like that.  I would have liked for them to have some sort of silencer weapon to go along with the arsenal as I would have found it useful, and probably some stealth mode abilities.   

 

It'll probably take someone that doesn't die at all between 3 - 5 hours to finish the whole game.. (It took me about 5 days playing on and off).,.

 

I would highly recommend the game to anyone who likes this sort of thing, but I would have loved for it to be a little longer.. The ending was really crazy as you had to fight all different types of enemies at the same time, and really had no idea what the heck I was doing.. basically gets you running around shooting looking for health and hoping not to die!

 

Again, like I mentioned before.. it is fun!

post #44 of 65
Anyone else playong watch dogs? Pretty fun game but the driving mechanics are horrendous. If you hit something, no problem can is fine. Also mlb the show is amazing. If you got ps4. These two are must haves
post #45 of 65

Yeah, I have it on my One. I've finished the story, got through it 2 or 3 days ago. I'm wrapping up the Achievements, then probably trading it in sometime over the weekend. The drinking games are the only tough thing about the game, though I enjoyed the story and the game as a whole. I'll trade it in for the $44 Best Buy says it'll give me (paid $47 for it), then I will likely pick it back up at a much-later date, when all of the Season Pass DLC is out and the game is down to $20-30 (to play through the DLC).

post #46 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilfrier View Post

Yeah, I have it on my One. I've finished the story, got through it 2 or 3 days ago. I'm wrapping up the Achievements, then probably trading it in sometime over the weekend. The drinking games are the only tough thing about the game, though I enjoyed the story and the game as a whole. I'll trade it in for the $44 Best Buy says it'll give me (paid $47 for it), then I will likely pick it back up at a much-later date, when all of the Season Pass DLC is out and the game is down to $20-30 (to play through the DLC).
Haha that's funny cause that's what I always do. Beat the game then sell it.... Then buy it again when it's cheaper
post #47 of 65
Thread Starter 

LOL!

post #48 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackieMoon View Post


Haha that's funny cause that's what I always do. Beat the game then sell it.... Then buy it again when it's cheaper

 

I don't think I've ever done that with a game before--at least, not that I can remember. It's just that I'll almost get my cost back in trade-in, and I wouldn't play Watch Dogs until the DLC started coming, so I might as well trade it in--I could use the credit to get something like Tropical Freeze or MK8.

post #49 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilfrier View Post

I don't think I've ever done that with a game before--at least, not that I can remember. It's just that I'll almost get my cost back in trade-in, and I wouldn't play Watch Dogs until the DLC started coming, so I might as well trade it in--I could use the credit to get something like Tropical Freeze or MK8.
How come you only paid 47 for it? In total I paid 79$!!!!
post #50 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackieMoon View Post


How come you only paid 47 for it? In total I paid 79$!!!!


My dad had paid for a pre-order for it as part of my graduation gift. It was $65. I decided to cancel the pre-order and get the money back in store credit. I then spent $60 of that on Best Buy's Gamers Club Unlocked membership (no tax is charged on it). The GCU membership gives you $20 off new games for 2 years. So, I got Watch Dogs for $48, not $60. It came out to $52 after tax, and I used the $5 left from the pre-order to get it to $47 out of my pocket for the purchase.

 

Seriously, if you buy games new more than a couple of times a year, I'd go to Best Buy and get the GCU membership. 2 years of 20% off new video games, meaning $12 saved on every title. It takes 5 games in 2 years to pay it off, and you also get a buy 2, get 1 free used game coupon (which could save you up to $50 right away) with the sign-up and 10% off used games, plus 10% more on trade-ins.

post #51 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilfrier View Post


My dad had paid for a pre-order for it as part of my graduation gift. It was $65. I decided to cancel the pre-order and get the money back in store credit. I then spent $60 of that on Best Buy's Gamers Club Unlocked membership (no tax is charged on it). The GCU membership gives you $20 off new games for 2 years. So, I got Watch Dogs for $48, not $60. It came out to $52 after tax, and I used the $5 left from the pre-order to get it to $47 out of my pocket for the purchase.

Seriously, if you buy games new more than a couple of times a year, I'd go to Best Buy and get the GCU membership. 2 years of 20% off new video games, meaning $12 saved on every title. It takes 5 games in 2 years to pay it off, and you also get a buy 2, get 1 free used game coupon (which could save you up to $50 right away) with the sign-up and 10% off used games, plus 10% more on trade-ins.

Nice info here! Thanks for the tip!
post #52 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilfrier View Post


My dad had paid for a pre-order for it as part of my graduation gift. It was $65. I decided to cancel the pre-order and get the money back in store credit. I then spent $60 of that on Best Buy's Gamers Club Unlocked membership (no tax is charged on it). The GCU membership gives you $20 off new games for 2 years. So, I got Watch Dogs for $48, not $60. It came out to $52 after tax, and I used the $5 left from the pre-order to get it to $47 out of my pocket for the purchase.

Seriously, if you buy games new more than a couple of times a year, I'd go to Best Buy and get the GCU membership. 2 years of 20% off new video games, meaning $12 saved on every title. It takes 5 games in 2 years to pay it off, and you also get a buy 2, get 1 free used game coupon (which could save you up to $50 right away) with the sign-up and 10% off used games, plus 10% more on trade-ins.
wow never even heard of it. Thanks!
post #53 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by cipher View Post
 

LOL!

 

 

OK That was good. That game alone might make me buy the Wii U!!! I love Mario Kart. I go back to the original on the SNES!! 

 

Other than that, I might got PS4 in the next console because I want to catch up on all the RPG's i missed out on. Though Halo keeps bringing me back to the Xbox!!! Dah, I might have to get both!! Though the next Final Fantasy is going to be on Xbox as well, so that could be the deal breaker right there. 

post #54 of 65
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by saevel25 View Post


OK That was good. That game alone might make me buy the Wii U!!! I love Mario Kart. I go back to the original on the SNES!! 

Other than that, I might got PS4 in the next console because I want to catch up on all the RPG's i missed out on. Though Halo keeps bringing me back to the Xbox!!! Dah, I might have to get both!! Though the next Final Fantasy is going to be on Xbox as well, so that could be the deal breaker right there. 

Yeah my brother bought it and is enjoying it. I have not been a huge Nintendo guy in the past but, am finding te 3ds to be pretty good for my fast paced life at the moment. I still have to do my Mario Golf review one of these days. I am with you though in that I would like one of the new console systems though, just don't have the time with the little ones running around.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: The Grill Room
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The 19th Hole › The Grill Room › Video Game Thread