or Connect
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Pro Shop › Clubs, Grips, Shafts, Fitting › Iron/Hybrid Combo
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Iron/Hybrid Combo

post #1 of 10
Thread Starter 

Has anybody played the Adams V3 combo irons/hybrid combo set?  I just got them with graphite lite flex (senior) flex shafts.  Yep, getting old here.  I think the newer ones have the gun metal irons, but mine are a little older, I think, and have the regular looking metal irons with gunmetal hybrids.  I'd love to hear what guys think of these if you've used them before.  Thanks in advance.

post #2 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3puttssuck View Post
 

Has anybody played the Adams V3 combo irons/hybrid combo set?  I just got them with graphite lite flex (senior) flex shafts.  Yep, getting old here.  I think the newer ones have the gun metal irons, but mine are a little older, I think, and have the regular looking metal irons with gunmetal hybrids.  I'd love to hear what guys think of these if you've used them before.  Thanks in advance.

 

I got my daughter almost the exact same set. We had the store cut down it down to a ladies size for her. She really likes these clubs, and played pretty well with them. The ladies flex of a similar ladies version was too flexible for her, and the monitor results were better (longer distances/less deviation) with the senior flex so the pro recommended this one for her.

 

The hybrids are very nice, and I like the way they made the complete package. It looks really nice.

post #3 of 10

Would you guys mind letting me know how well you like the 3 and 4 hybrids on that set?

 

I bought the 4 clone from diamondtour (before I knew what a hybrid was) just to test the waters... Anyway, the bottom of the face / front of the sole is in front of the shaft....:

 

http://thesandtrap.com/t/71833/question-about-hybrid-offset - scroll to the bottom....

 

I'm curious about how you like hitting the 3 and 4 clubs, and are they designed with the same thing as I mention above?

 

To address your question... I do not own a set, but I have a 4 hybrid clone, and I wasn't able to use it but a few times, but the few times I used it, the ball launched well and went where I was aiming. Which is important, I suppose.

 

;-)

 

Tony

post #4 of 10
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by duotone View Post
 

Would you guys mind letting me know how well you like the 3 and 4 hybrids on that set?

 

I bought the 4 clone from diamondtour (before I knew what a hybrid was) just to test the waters... Anyway, the bottom of the face / front of the sole is in front of the shaft....:

 

http://thesandtrap.com/t/71833/question-about-hybrid-offset - scroll to the bottom....

 

I'm curious about how you like hitting the 3 and 4 clubs, and are they designed with the same thing as I mention above?

 

To address your question... I do not own a set, but I have a 4 hybrid clone, and I wasn't able to use it but a few times, but the few times I used it, the ball launched well and went where I was aiming. Which is important, I suppose.

 

;-)

 

Tony

I'll let you know, but it won't be until I can get out once the weather breaks.  I have only hit into a net so far.  And, there isn't a 3.  The hybrids are a 4, 5, and 6.  I might go hit in a simulator this weekend.  Not sure how much feedback that will provide, but I'll be sure to let yo uknow.

post #5 of 10
My daughter made some pretty impressive shots with the hybrids in the set.
post #6 of 10
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lihu View Post

My daughter made some pretty impressive shots with the hybrids in the set.

Dude, you are absolutely killing me.  Can we at least pretend it's your teenage son?  :)

post #7 of 10

duotone,

 

This Diamondtour hybrid has what is known as onset. It is the opposite of offset, and originally was introduced into wedges and irons as a way to prevent shanking. If you have seen any gooseneck irons, these employ onset. I don't have any reports on how onset works with long clubs.

 

 Diamondtour Hybrid

 V3 Hybrid

 

The Idea V3 hybrids have "cambered sole relief" which features a recessed trough cut in back half of sole which lessens turf drag. Comes up with two "minirails" to prevent digging in.

 

If you look closely, the V3 does not appear to have onset. The top edge of the clubface is behind the front edge of the hosel. Also, the V3 has a more teardrop shaped head; the DT is boxy.

 

I'll leave V3 users to tell how they like the hybrids.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

I'm more familiar with the Idea V4 hybrids - these have the velocity slots on top and bottom of the clubhead. I carry a 4H, and sometimes the 3H. The 4H replaces my 3 iron.

post #8 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3puttssuck View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lihu View Post

My daughter made some pretty impressive shots with the hybrids in the set.
Dude, you are absolutely killing me.  Can we at least pretend it's your teenage son?  :)

a1_smile.gif
post #9 of 10
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by WUTiger View Post
 

duotone,

 

This Diamondtour hybrid has what is known as onset. It is the opposite of offset, and originally was introduced into wedges and irons as a way to prevent shanking. If you have seen any gooseneck irons, these employ onset. I don't have any reports on how onset works with long clubs.

 

 Diamondtour Hybrid

 V3 Hybrid

 

The Idea V3 hybrids have "cambered sole relief" which features a recessed trough cut in back half of sole which lessens turf drag. Comes up with two "minirails" to prevent digging in.

 

If you look closely, the V3 does not appear to have onset. The top edge of the clubface is behind the front edge of the hosel. Also, the V3 has a more teardrop shaped head; the DT is boxy.

 

I'll leave V3 users to tell how they like the hybrids.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

I'm more familiar with the Idea V4 hybrids - these have the velocity slots on top and bottom of the clubhead. I carry a 4H, and sometimes the 3H. The 4H replaces my 3 iron.

Thanks, Tiger

post #10 of 10

I played the Tech V3 set for a couple of seasons.  Something came loose inside the 7-iron that is half hybrid / half iron.  They replaced it without issue as you can imagine.  I liked the lower end of the set and the 4-6 hybrids. Also liked the 7-iron.  Wasn't very happy with the rest of the shorter irons in the set.  They just came off as kind of cheaply made and didn't have any real identify.  Kind of too lightweight ... didn't have any real substance or 'punch' to them fro the fairway.

 

One thing I REALLY didn't like was the black finish was a 'powder-coat' finish that wore off really fast.  Few shots with the SW from traps ground the finish off very quickly!

 

Sold the set before last season and went back to Taylormade hybrids and irons.  Just a TM 'homer' here, I guess.

 

Enjoy the new sticks!  You'll really appreciate the hybrids in the set.  Adams is a true leader in hybrid technology.

 

dave

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Clubs, Grips, Shafts, Fitting
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Pro Shop › Clubs, Grips, Shafts, Fitting › Iron/Hybrid Combo