or Connect
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Clubhouse › Rules of Golf › New flowchart re Smartphones for DMDs
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

New flowchart re Smartphones for DMDs - Page 3

post #37 of 40
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by flopster View Post
 

Basically someone in the group that probably doesn't own one is going to have to know that a yellow faceplate on this particular rangefinder makes it non conforming or else this player will be able to get illegal information during a tournament, even though I see it has "non conforming" stamped on the faceplate you still have to get up close to see it. There is no way you can prevent someone from using this, the faceplate probably snaps on and off in seconds and if a player is on the other side of the fairway how could a competitor tell if he switched out the faceplate if he holds the rangefinder in a way that hides the end of it. I think the USGA has just cracked the door open for the other DMD's with slope feature that can be switched off the opportunity they have been waiting for there is just no way someone can be prevented 100% from using the non conforming feature. I think the reason Bushnell had the switch put in the slope feature was this very reason.

You must have some devious players in your competitions.

post #38 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rulesman View Post
 

You must have some devious players in your competitions.


It's just a hypothetical that makes the point that the USGA needs to stop trying to regulate things they don't have any business trying to, the problem is that if you don't make a rule clear enough or start making exceptions with one particular device that is very similar to others that you will not then you just created a shit storm. They are going to have a problem because the rules say even if the feature can be turned off it's still illegal, and switching a part out is the same as turning it off in a lot of peoples opinion especially when that part can be switched in a matter of seconds.

post #39 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by flopster View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rulesman View Post
 

You must have some devious players in your competitions.


It's just a hypothetical that makes the point that the USGA needs to stop trying to regulate things they don't have any business trying to, the problem is that if you don't make a rule clear enough or start making exceptions with one particular device that is very similar to others that you will not then you just created a shit storm. They are going to have a problem because the rules say even if the feature can be turned off it's still illegal, and switching a part out is the same as turning it off in a lot of peoples opinion especially when that part can be switched in a matter of seconds.

 

Other people's opinions don't matter.  The rule is what matters.  If a person is a cheat, then they'll find a way to cheat.  One can hope that eventually they'll get caught at it, but that's not the point.  Normal honest players will play by the rules.  Those are the ones who make up the vast majority of golfers, and they are the ones I play with.  

 

Besides, I don't see much advantage for this anyway.  I can tell a 1 club, 2 club rise or drop without the help of technology.  The player still has to hit the the shot.  I'll always have the satisfaction of knowing that I didn't need to cheat to figure it out.

post #40 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fourputt View Post
 

 

Their concern is with the preservation of the traditions and principles of the game.  That will (and probably has throughout their history) been seen by some people as a stumbling block to progress.  They have to balance any so-called "progress" with how it affects the way the game is played.  This means that they will often take time to deliberate on an issue, in an effort to make it come out right.  There have been knee jerk decisions in the past which had to be rescinded later.  

 

It's especially difficult with electronics because they change so fast that the rules can't really be expected to keep pace.  The testing, discussion (including the joint discussions between the R&A and USGA which don't happen on a monthly basis), reaching an agreement on a change, then the formulation of a rule change, and ultimately the implementation has to take time.  There is no way around it.  This is exacerbated by the 4 year revision schedule if an actual rule change is involved.

 

Very well said (sorry I missed that reply, it's going back a week) and a good point. I still have an issue with a rule that I feel assumes "guilt" in the case of not allowing smartphones as a DMD, but your point gives me a different perspective and I'll wait :-D as it's probably best they don't start reacting to every advance in technology with knee jerk rules. I can used a DMD, but not a smartphone, if that helps things, then I'll survive.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fourputt View Post
 

 

Other people's opinions don't matter.  The rule is what matters.  If a person is a cheat, then they'll find a way to cheat.  One can hope that eventually they'll get caught at it, but that's not the point.  Normal honest players will play by the rules.  Those are the ones who make up the vast majority of golfers, and they are the ones I play with.  

 

Besides, I don't see much advantage for this anyway.  I can tell a 1 club, 2 club rise or drop without the help of technology.  The player still has to hit the the shot.  I'll always have the satisfaction of knowing that I didn't need to cheat to figure it out.

 

Agreed, that would be like banning golf shoes because someone may be found of the leather wedge... The rules are the rules, they are black and white. 

The reasoning behind them may be grey, but the rules themselves are clear cut....even if I may struggle (less now) with some rulings. 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Rules of Golf
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Clubhouse › Rules of Golf › New flowchart re Smartphones for DMDs