or Connect
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Clubhouse › Tour Talk › Darren Clarke loses 40+ pounds w/an assist from...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Darren Clarke loses 40+ pounds w/an assist from... - Page 2

post #19 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Desmond View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yukari View Post

 
So basically, eat more protein.
Good to know.

Thanks for the link.
When you go in for that quad bypass when you're 65, you'll thank him even more...

Unsolicited advice: Don't be a glutton ... be reasonable with protein. Don't eat it at every meal, and when you do, go for lower cholesterol meats and smaller portions - about the size that fits in the palm of your hand....

I have to say with no disrespect intended, you know very little about dietary needs of the body. Saturated fats are not the enemy. Over indulgence and lack of fiber, high quality vegetables as well as eating processed and chemically made additives cause way more damage to the body. Every chemical sweetener is absolutely unhealthy as well as any artificial color. Fine if you want people to tell you how to eat but once you see the research and not the hype, you would understand. It looks like Clarke may have the right guys around him and hopefully they can get him to quit smoking too...
post #20 of 59

2 quick points:

 

1) personal eating habits is the new religion - something that should not be discussed in polite company.

 

2) Almost nothing in nutrition is scientifically proven.  You can tell by the frequency with which the conventional wisdom changes.  We should be a little humble and remember that bleeding someone that was sick was also once the conventional wisdom.

 

JMHO

post #21 of 59

Good for DC.

post #22 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by turtleback View Post
 

Almost nothing in nutrition is scientifically proven.  You can tell by the frequency with which the conventional wisdom changes.  We should be a little humble and remember that bleeding someone that was sick was also once the conventional wisdom.

This is what I've been thinking when I read this thread, or just anytime when the subject comes up.  Every week it seems you hear a story on the news or online about a new "discovery" that a certain food is good/bad for you.

 

Drink red wine!  Don't drink red wine!  Eat meat!  Don't eat meat!  Don't eat at all!  Eat all the time!  Not too much dairy!  No dairy!  Drink almond milk!

 

Dammit people, make up your minds!!  ;)

 

Until then, I'm just going to go on the basic assumption that as long as I eat reasonably and exercise some, I will turn out OK.

post #23 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfingdad View Post
 

This is what I've been thinking when I read this thread, or just anytime when the subject comes up.  Every week it seems you hear a story on the news or online about a new "discovery" that a certain food is good/bad for you.

 

Drink red wine!  Don't drink red wine!  Eat meat!  Don't eat meat!  Don't eat at all!  Eat all the time!  Not too much dairy!  No dairy!  Drink almond milk!

 

Dammit people, make up your minds!!  ;)

 

Until then, I'm just going to go on the basic assumption that as long as I eat reasonably and exercise some, I will turn out OK.

There is also the issue of life enjoyment.  As someone who was once (mistakenly, thank goodness) diagnosed with pancreatic cancer and given 6 months to live, enjoying however many years I have is a higher priority to me than eating by the latest conventional wisdom.  We all end up dead in the long run.

post #24 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by turtleback View Post
 

There is also the issue of life enjoyment.  As someone who was once (mistakenly, thank goodness) diagnosed with pancreatic cancer and given 6 months to live, enjoying however many years I have is a higher priority to me than eating by the latest conventional wisdom.  We all end up dead in the long run.

Amen.

 

I disagree with your last sentence though ... I'm holding out for advancements in cryogenic freezing technology. :-P

post #25 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfingdad View Post
 

I disagree with your last sentence though ... I'm holding out for advancements in cryogenic freezing technology. :-P

 

I am going for the Bicentennial man scenario. I'll just get all my organs replaced, then get yearly tune ups. :dance:

 

 

 

The trouble is that those articles only go onto the summary of the research, just assuming that it was done correctly. They also cite tons of articles done on correlation assuming it is the causality of the situation, when in the end they have no clue what really is causing something to happen. 

 

All I know is that evolution made us who we are, why should we go around putting in things that are made in a laboratory. Eat things that are closest to nature as possible. I know I can't commit to this 100% of the time, but if I try to hit my 80-90% mark, then I will be good.  

 

I think the primary reason people have problems with this is years of a culture were food is premade for people. People can't cook. Also, they are accustom to having food readily available. They like their luxury. 

post #26 of 59

Well as I need to shift a few tens of kilos Ive started to cut all the sh1t out of my diet and replace it with the good stuff (no more sweets, processed foods, snacking on high sugar treats and the like) but without going over the top so I end up craving! Its approaching a month now since my last chocolate bar and buscuit...yay for me :)

 

BUT...I had my new normal breakfast, Special K porridge, BUT ran in to a problem I had not anticipated by the 11th of hole of our golf round on Saturday...I was FAST running out of energy! Seriously running out of energy! Fortunately only 11 full holes were open and then two others we were playing against conceded at that point!

 

So Im going to have to rethink my match day diet. Any suggestions lads (without starting WWIII would be good! :D )?

 

Regards

 

Mailman

post #27 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valleygolfer View Post


I have to say with no disrespect intended, you know very little about dietary needs of the body. Saturated fats are not the enemy. Over indulgence and lack of fiber, high quality vegetables as well as eating processed and chemically made additives cause way more damage to the body. Every chemical sweetener is absolutely unhealthy as well as any artificial color. Fine if you want people to tell you how to eat but once you see the research and not the hype, you would understand. It looks like Clarke may have the right guys around him and hopefully they can get him to quit smoking too...

Actually, I agree with you .... even the part about knowing very little of the dietary needs.

 

I've read several books on diets related to those with heart issues, including Clinton's diet plan Doc.

 

If you've read what I eat in the above posts, it's what saevel25 has stated, with the exception that I avoid meat and oils on most days, and avoid dairy product. But I do eat a good filet every couple of weeks, and chicken or fish on a weekly basis. I get additional protein from black beans. I enjoy meat but the docs have asked me to avoid it most of the time. I prepare many of my own meals, and if I eat something prepared, it's organic and fits my other dietary needs -- low sodium, lack of dairy, etc.

 

I don't think the vegan or vegetarian think works - because those people tend to beef themselves up on veggies, cheese, nuts ... and they have heart issues, too, not so different from the beef eating population.

 

To sum up, because I don't eat as much meat as you recommend, you're telling me I don't know anything. 

 

You may not have a dietary issue ... but you might consider working on your  control issues....

post #28 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Desmond View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valleygolfer View Post


I have to say with no disrespect intended, you know very little about dietary needs of the body. Saturated fats are not the enemy. Over indulgence and lack of fiber, high quality vegetables as well as eating processed and chemically made additives cause way more damage to the body. Every chemical sweetener is absolutely unhealthy as well as any artificial color. Fine if you want people to tell you how to eat but once you see the research and not the hype, you would understand. It looks like Clarke may have the right guys around him and hopefully they can get him to quit smoking too...

Actually, I agree with you .... even the part about knowing very little of the dietary needs.

 

I've read several books on diets related to those with heart issues, including Clinton's diet plan Doc.

 

If you've read what I eat in the above posts, it's what saevel25 has stated, with the exception that I avoid meat and oils on most days, and avoid dairy product. But I do eat a good filet every couple of weeks, and chicken or fish on a weekly basis. I get additional protein from black beans. I enjoy meat but the docs have asked me to avoid it most of the time. I prepare many of my own meals, and if I eat something prepared, it's organic and fits my other dietary needs -- low sodium, lack of dairy, etc.

 

I don't think the vegan or vegetarian think works - because those people tend to beef themselves up on veggies, cheese, nuts ... and they have heart issues, too, not so different from the beef eating population.

 

To sum up, because I don't eat as much meat as you recommend, you're telling me I don't know anything. 

 

You may not have a dietary issue ... but you might consider working on your  control issues....


Unfortunately there is a lot of misinformation out there and it is not a control issue but an effort to open someone's view away from unproven mainstream ideas that are erroneous (kind of like golf). Telling someone because they eat meats with saturated fats will give them a good opportunity to experience coronary bypass surgery is "misinformation". Diet books have a history of being based on theory, personal experience or agenda. Scientific tests are also hard to trust depending on who is conducting them. If all scientific tests were legit, we would not be eating nutrasweet or aspartame. I could care less if you don't want to change your ways but the human body's function is highly specific, cholesterol metabolism is individual specific due to dietary intake, from my experience. I you have your cholesterol under control, you have eliminated the factors that cause your high cholesterol. Someone else probably has done the same thing with poor results.

 

I agree that dairy is not required. Oils are required, just not hydrogenated oils. Why? Because the extra hydrogens cause the oil to have a higher boiling point making them considerably tougher for the body to burn off.

 

Humans are highly adaptable and some can put up with more than others. I see degeneration in people's spines that do hardly anything and see no spinal degeneration in people who lay bricks for a living. The differences in health is so vast that there is rarely a "norm".

post #29 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfingdad View Post
 

Amen.

 

I disagree with your last sentence though ... I'm holding out for advancements in cryogenic freezing technology. :-P

 

I think I saw an arc about you on the old TV show Wiseguy. ;-) :offtopic: 


Edited by turtleback - 1/20/14 at 11:33pm
post #30 of 59

this is soooo not good for your body.. think about it like a car... you gonna drive 15 hours and not fill up the tank.. you need to feed your body... eating anywhere between  ( for an active person ) 2500-3000 cal a day.. but eat the right types of food...

post #31 of 59

your wrong, if you dont eat, your body will store and wait for you to eat later... if you are eating 5-6 times a day, your body will use that food right away cause it knows your going to eat soon.

post #32 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by mazzamouth View Post
 

your wrong, if you dont eat, your body will store and wait for you to eat later... if you are eating 5-6 times a day, your body will use that food right away cause it knows your going to eat soon.

 

That is total BS. Once again eating more often does nothing to promote weight loss except help with cravings. There is no known mechanism that has been proven to support this in the human body. What is known is the body doesn't to starve. Also it takes a while for your body to adapt to changes in how you eat. This meaning that even if you don't eat food for 24 hours, it will still think you are not starving.

 

Quote:
"Quite in fact, it takes at least 3-4 days of fairly strict dieting to impact on metabolic rate (and some work on fasting shows that metabolic rate goes UP acutely during the first 72 hours of fasting); a single meal means nothing. You will not go into ‘starvation mode’ because you went more than 3 hours without a meal. Nor will your muscles fall off as an average sized food meal takes 5-6 hours to fully digest"
 
 

 

Once again, eating 5-6 small meals versus 3 regular meals mean nothing. People have lost a ton of weight eating one large meal and fasting the rest of the time. 

 

Basically the body is an anti-starvation machine. It cant tell the difference between 3 meals and 5 meals because it takes longer for the body to recognize any significant changes. This means you can probably not eat for 3 days, eat a regular size meal and your body wouldn't care. It isn't that precise to think 3 meals of day means its going to store it for later. All the body knows is your general energy requirements, and how much you are taking in, and it will store the excess accordingly. 

 

The body thinks long term, plans for long durations with out food. This is why we gain fat, its long term storage. It doesn't care if you have to wait an extra 3 hours to eat. 

post #33 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by mailman View Post
 

Well as I need to shift a few tens of kilos Ive started to cut all the sh1t out of my diet and replace it with the good stuff (no more sweets, processed foods, snacking on high sugar treats and the like) but without going over the top so I end up craving! Its approaching a month now since my last chocolate bar and buscuit...yay for me :)

 

BUT...I had my new normal breakfast, Special K porridge, BUT ran in to a problem I had not anticipated by the 11th of hole of our golf round on Saturday...I was FAST running out of energy! Seriously running out of energy! Fortunately only 11 full holes were open and then two others we were playing against conceded at that point!

 

So Im going to have to rethink my match day diet. Any suggestions lads (without starting WWIII would be good! :D )?

 

Regards

 

Mailman


I've always wondered if we all have different needs for our eating schedule.

 

I worked extremely physical jobs for 36 years and never took a lunch to work or ate breakfast before work. I ate one big meal when I got off of work, and that's it. Every person I ever worked with made the statement that they didn't see how I could do that, and that they would either get weak or get headaches or both if they went that long between meals.

 

Outside of work I was always involved in playing basketball or softball as well as working on my farm.

 

When I started playing golf I played from sunup to sundown and only ate one meal when I got home.

 

I have honestly never had a single time that I felt like I was getting weak or running out of energy from not eating.

 

Makes me wonder if the need for food is a habitual thing, a psychological thing, or if some of us are just different and don't need to eat as often.

 

BTW. I didn't use that eating schedule for any other reason than I didn't want to go to the trouble of taking a lunch to work, or I was busy enough to not care about something like food. Never thought much about it and that felt natural to me (and still does).

post #34 of 59

It's Ryder Cup year and Dazza has finally awoken from his post Open Championship hangover.  Looking at the metrics of his game, his ball striking is improving and once the putter starts to work he should start to be seen in the higher echelons of leaderboards.  My only concern is where exactly does he feel that he can be competitive on the PGA Tour? Copperhead, PGA National and Harbour Town look like natural fits especially if the wind blows.

post #35 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valleygolfer View Post
 


Unfortunately there is a lot of misinformation out there and it is not a control issue but an effort to open someone's view away from unproven mainstream ideas that are erroneous (kind of like golf). Telling someone because they eat meats with saturated fats will give them a good opportunity to experience coronary bypass surgery is "misinformation". 

I agree that telling someone what to eat or not eat, in general. unless you're their doc, is not a good idea. You might say " this works for me." but we're all different. Our bodies are different. And who knows? We've heard so much diet hooey over the years, and heard stories of people who smoked every day of their life or ate as much red meat as they wanted without issues, that diet seems to be what works for an individual.

 

What works for me is smaller portions but eating more frequently - because I feel more active when doing so. Does it work all the time? No, because when I'm not near a food source, I go hungry - so I try to take an apple with me wherever I go...  I try to eat less meat. less then other people, but I have medical reasons for doing so. Others without heart issues are able to do what works for them - they opt for meat. I'd love to opt for more meat, but the Docs have asked me to avoid it on a daily basis.

 

I hope the above post was not directed at me, For the most part. I merely posted what I did  -- and I do it for my reasons - it works for me (alone).

 

I did label a post as unsolicited advice -- don't be a glutton -- that may be good advice for any food or any activity (don't be obsessed) in life - don't overdo it. When someone posted, "I get it, eat more protein" that's when I said you might be going in for a quad bypass at 65 -- it was said lightly and because of the poster's response. It was followed up by -- don't be a glutton. And I offered this bit - which I've heard from docs - do the "palm sized" fist test on meat. I assume that advice from docs is to prevent an individual from overdoing it.

 

Diet - it's like treading onto a  minefield discussion...

post #36 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by mazzamouth View Post
 

your wrong, if you dont eat, your body will store and wait for you to eat later... if you are eating 5-6 times a day, your body will use that food right away cause it knows your going to eat soon.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mazzamouth View Post
 

this is soooo not good for your body.. think about it like a car... you gonna drive 15 hours and not fill up the tank.. you need to feed your body... eating anywhere between  ( for an active person ) 2500-3000 cal a day.. but eat the right types of food...


You have no idea. "You're" wrong. You fill up your "tank" with your last meal at night. With frequent eating, it has been shown that the metabolism only increases during eating and "stores" whatever you do do use and shuts down.  I know I properly feed my body and actually there are a ton of benefits to doing the fasting diet.

 

http://www.leangains.com/2010/10/top-ten-fasting-myths-debunked.html  This is not the only person with information on the diet.

 

I only do the two 600-800 cal days when I want to lose weight.
 

FYI: your body functions nothing like a car


Edited by Valleygolfer - 1/22/14 at 9:47am
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Tour Talk
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Clubhouse › Tour Talk › Darren Clarke loses 40+ pounds w/an assist from...