or Connect
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Clubhouse › Tour Talk › Darren Clarke loses 40+ pounds w/an assist from...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Darren Clarke loses 40+ pounds w/an assist from... - Page 3

post #37 of 58

http://www.gundersenhealth.org/upload/docs/Archived/2007Meal.pdf

 

It is the urban legend of food intake Mazzamouth. Repeating stories suddenly makes it true. It would seem like it would be a logical assumption to eat more frequently, but it is not the case. Since I started the intermittent fasting or "warrior diet", it has freed up a lot of my time worrying about meals. I can eat pretty much anything healthy, as much as I want and maintain my weight, with no cardio activity. Do I recommend no cardio, no, but I would would only recommend it a few days a week. I primarily weight train to burn calories and hopefully walk the golf course soon. There is way more to "just not eating" so do your research before jumping into the intermittent fasting. HIIT workouts are highly recommended to compliment the diet.

 

If you are getting your advice from fitness rags, you have to realize they are funded by supplement companies that sell protein bars, powders and meal replacements. They are not going to tell you to eat less. They are selling shit, just like golf mags.

post #38 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valleygolfer View Post
 

 


You have no idea. "You're" wrong. You fill up your "tank" with your last meal at night. With frequent eating, it has been shown that the metabolism only increases during eating and "stores" whatever you do do use and shuts down.  I know I properly feed my body and actually there are a ton of benefits to doing the fasting diet.

 

http://www.leangains.com/2010/10/top-ten-fasting-myths-debunked.html  This is not the only person with information on the diet.

 

I only do the two 600-800 cal days when I want to lose weight.
 

FYI: your body functions nothing like a car

@Valleygolfer,

 

According to T-Rex, in the song Bang a Gong"You're built like a car, you've got a hub cap diamond star halo".  So we do, in fact, function like a car.  I'm not sure what a hub cap diamond star halo is though. 

post #39 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by boogielicious View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valleygolfer View Post

 



You have no idea. "You're" wrong. You fill up your "tank" with your last meal at night. With frequent eating, it has been shown that the metabolism only increases during eating and "stores" whatever you do do use and shuts down.  I know I properly feed my body and actually there are a ton of benefits to doing the fasting diet.

http://www.leangains.com/2010/10/top-ten-fasting-myths-debunked.html  This is not the only person with information on the diet.

I only do the two 600-800 cal days when I want to lose weight.

 
FYI: your body functions nothing like a car
@Valleygolfer
,

According to T-Rex, in the song Bang a Gong"You're built like a car, you've got a hub cap diamond star halo".  So we do, in fact, function like a car.  I'm not sure what a hub cap diamond star halo is though. 

Well if a song says it, I stand corrected...
post #40 of 58

Learned something today. I've always believed that eating throughout the day helped with metabolism. Guess I bought into the myth. But maybe it helps someone like me to keep an even balance on my hunger, and I'm less likely to pig out when I eat. I've got blood sugar issues (have since I'm a kid) and have learned to eat in a way that helps me.

 

It's very obvious reading this thread that diet is a lightning rod. Never thought of it that way. Seems silly to argue over it. If it works for you, why would you care if anyone else has a technique that works for them? Guess it really is more like religion than I'd ever realized.

post #41 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilsRHman View Post
 

Learned something today. I've always believed that eating throughout the day helped with metabolism. Guess I bought into the myth. But maybe it helps someone like me to keep an even balance on my hunger, and I'm less likely to pig out when I eat. I've got blood sugar issues (have since I'm a kid) and have learned to eat in a way that helps me.

 

It's very obvious reading this thread that diet is a lightning rod. Never thought of it that way. Seems silly to argue over it. If it works for you, why would you care if anyone else has a technique that works for them? Guess it really is more like religion than I'd ever realized.

 

Because people believe if someone else some how gets away with doing it another way it invalidates their whole dogma. What can you do when the media has dictated that the world shall be black and white, yes and no, right or wrong, when its actually just many shades of gray. 

post #42 of 58

I like my method, work hard, play hard. I will gladly spend extra time in the gym to drink beer and enjoy good food. Though most of the time I eat clean but only because it's all I've even done. Fortunate to have grown up with a mom that cooked using fresh products. Seems like any time you seem someone advocating something extreme it's some fitness noob that just climbed out of a box of mac 'n cheese lifestyle. I know people that spent decades eating whatever in ignorance.

post #43 of 58

Anyone know the specifics of Clarke's workout regiment??


Thx

post #44 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by turtleback View Post

2 quick points:

2) Almost nothing in nutrition is scientifically proven.  You can tell by the frequency with which the conventional wisdom changes.  We should be a little humble and remember that bleeding someone that was sick was also once the conventional wisdom.

JMHO

This^2.
post #45 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by k-troop View Post


This^2.

Leeches are still used:

 

These days, leeches are used to help heal skin grafts -- the process for treating burns in which blood tissue is transferred from one part of the body to another -- by removing blood pooled under the graft and restoring blood circulation in blocked veins. They've also been used in reattaching fingers and other body parts [sources: MSNBCPBS].

To feed, a leech attaches itself to a human or animal through suckers at each end of its body and then eats its host's blood. Leeches can eat six to eight times their body weight, but rather than sinking to the bottom of the body of water they live in because of such a fully belly, leeches produce a natural anticoagulant or blood thinner, which keeps the blood in them from thickening and clotting and allows them to stay mobile [source: PBS].

post #46 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Desmond View Post
 

Leeches are still used:

 

These days, leeches are used to help heal skin grafts -- the process for treating burns in which blood tissue is transferred from one part of the body to another -- by removing blood pooled under the graft and restoring blood circulation in blocked veins. They've also been used in reattaching fingers and other body parts [sources: MSNBCPBS].

To feed, a leech attaches itself to a human or animal through suckers at each end of its body and then eats its host's blood. Leeches can eat six to eight times their body weight, but rather than sinking to the bottom of the body of water they live in because of such a fully belly, leeches produce a natural anticoagulant or blood thinner, which keeps the blood in them from thickening and clotting and allows them to stay mobile [source: PBS].

But how do they taste barbecued?

post #47 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by boogielicious View Post
 

But how do they taste barbecued?

I'd imagine like chicken….

post #48 of 58

I don't follow a specific diet (Paleo, etc.) but I tend to follow the philosophy of "If I didn't live in a modern society, what kind of foods would I eat?"  I probably wouldn't be baking bread and loading up on flour products (bread/pasta), so I keep those to a minimum.  I see no problem eating fruits (some "no carb" diets recommend against them) and it just makes sense to me.  I hardly ever drink soft drinks (though Dr. Pepper is my nemesis), drink mostly water and coffee, milk with dinner, and will not deny myself beer on golf/bowling night.

 

Unless you have some weird metabolic quirk, despite what they might say, every single person who is over weight knows why.  

post #49 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by chriskzoo View Post

 

 

Unless you have some weird metabolic quirk, despite what they might say, every single person who is over weight knows why.  

My experience is they usually don't. Some don't know any better because of poor parenting, they were never taught to eat well and don't know how to cook. The ignorant tend to gauge how much they eat by the size and classification of the food. Too many mistake eating healthy with eating less. Another thing I've witnessed is I've never met an obese person that didn't have some kind of food hangup. Their diets are extremely limited because somewhere along the way they decided they don't like this or that.

post #50 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave2512 View Post
 

My experience is they usually don't. Some don't know any better because of poor parenting, they were never taught to eat well and don't know how to cook. The ignorant tend to gauge how much they eat by the size and classification of the food. Too many mistake eating healthy with eating less. Another thing I've witnessed is I've never met an obese person that didn't have some kind of food hangup. Their diets are extremely limited because somewhere along the way they decided they don't like this or that.

 

They may not admit it, but I think most do.  My one buddy is 5'2" and is not grossly obese, but he's 195 pounds, which is way too much for his height.  He readily admits that he'll down a SLEEVE (what is that, 12-16 cookies) of Oreos before bed and he eats a lot of pasta because they are always on the go and too lazy to fire up the crock pot in the morning or plan ahead.  You can cook some grilled chicken breasts and microwave some broccoli faster than heating up water and boiling pasta.  Even people with food hang-ups know things like vegetables are things they should eat - yet they load up their plate with pasta, potatoes, etc. and eat until their stomach hurts.

post #51 of 58

1) Most people grossly underestimate how much they eat. They have no clue the calories they are eating.

2) Most people do not have a metabolic problem. 

3) You just can't exercise yourself to good health. Though studies have shown that you lower your risk of heart disease if you do some moderate level of cardio every week. They studied two groups of overweight people, and those who worked out and still were overweight were more healthy. Still being active and at the proper weight helps a lot more. 

4) Most people will claim to be at a health weight when they are actually overweight. Meaning they are use to seeing a culture of unhealthy people. This isn't the whole, every magazine has a sexy girl on it. Its the fact that people are just use to seeing large than normal people. This changes their perspective. My friends went over to Europe for a vacation, came back and were shocked about how fat American's are. It took a different view to get them to realize the drastic change in body size.  

5) The food industry is designed to engineer food to be tasty and want us to crave them. Salty + Fatty + Carbs = addictive. Especially if you look at sugar and sweeteners which activate the same areas in the brain that cocaine does. 

6) People have access to massive amounts of food. We do not have to go kill our food anymore. We don't have to worry about starvation. Meaning it is paramount that people be aware of what they are eating and why. People eat because they are emotional. They eat because it gives us pleasure to. All these things cause overeating. Basically the deck is stacked against use big time in trying to control what we eat. 

 

As for Glutten, carbs, fat, protein. What ever, the major concern is portion control. Given all the additives and chemicals in processed foods don't show up on the scale, but I don't think they are good for the body in the long run. Who knows if all that crap is causing Alzheimer's. The food industry will claim ignorance, and the fact no study shows it. Yet, this type of damage could not have enough sample size for a few generations. 

post #52 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by saevel25 View Post
 

1) Most people grossly underestimate how much they eat. They have no clue the calories they are eating.

2) Most people do not have a metabolic problem. 

3) You just can't exercise yourself to good health. Though studies have shown that you lower your risk of heart disease if you do some moderate level of cardio every week. They studied two groups of overweight people, and those who worked out and still were overweight were more healthy. Still being active and at the proper weight helps a lot more. 

4) Most people will claim to be at a health weight when they are actually overweight. Meaning they are use to seeing a culture of unhealthy people. This isn't the whole, every magazine has a sexy girl on it. Its the fact that people are just use to seeing large than normal people. This changes their perspective. My friends went over to Europe for a vacation, came back and were shocked about how fat American's are. It took a different view to get them to realize the drastic change in body size.  

5) The food industry is designed to engineer food to be tasty and want us to crave them. Salty + Fatty + Carbs = addictive. Especially if you look at sugar and sweeteners which activate the same areas in the brain that cocaine does. 

6) People have access to massive amounts of food. We do not have to go kill our food anymore. We don't have to worry about starvation. Meaning it is paramount that people be aware of what they are eating and why. People eat because they are emotional. They eat because it gives us pleasure to. All these things cause overeating. Basically the deck is stacked against use big time in trying to control what we eat. 

 

As for Glutten, carbs, fat, protein. What ever, the major concern is portion control. Given all the additives and chemicals in processed foods don't show up on the scale, but I don't think they are good for the body in the long run. Who knows if all that crap is causing Alzheimer's. The food industry will claim ignorance, and the fact no study shows it. Yet, this type of damage could not have enough sample size for a few generations. 


I agree with pretty much everything you say except the portion control part. Without knowledge portion control is a tough way to monitor calorie intake. Example 6 cups of broccoli is about 180 calories. One oz of nuts about 170.

post #53 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave2512 View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by saevel25 View Post
 

1) Most people grossly underestimate how much they eat. They have no clue the calories they are eating.

2) Most people do not have a metabolic problem. 

3) You just can't exercise yourself to good health. Though studies have shown that you lower your risk of heart disease if you do some moderate level of cardio every week. They studied two groups of overweight people, and those who worked out and still were overweight were more healthy. Still being active and at the proper weight helps a lot more. 

4) Most people will claim to be at a health weight when they are actually overweight. Meaning they are use to seeing a culture of unhealthy people. This isn't the whole, every magazine has a sexy girl on it. Its the fact that people are just use to seeing large than normal people. This changes their perspective. My friends went over to Europe for a vacation, came back and were shocked about how fat American's are. It took a different view to get them to realize the drastic change in body size.  

5) The food industry is designed to engineer food to be tasty and want us to crave them. Salty + Fatty + Carbs = addictive. Especially if you look at sugar and sweeteners which activate the same areas in the brain that cocaine does. 

6) People have access to massive amounts of food. We do not have to go kill our food anymore. We don't have to worry about starvation. Meaning it is paramount that people be aware of what they are eating and why. People eat because they are emotional. They eat because it gives us pleasure to. All these things cause overeating. Basically the deck is stacked against use big time in trying to control what we eat. 

 

As for Glutten, carbs, fat, protein. What ever, the major concern is portion control. Given all the additives and chemicals in processed foods don't show up on the scale, but I don't think they are good for the body in the long run. Who knows if all that crap is causing Alzheimer's. The food industry will claim ignorance, and the fact no study shows it. Yet, this type of damage could not have enough sample size for a few generations. 


I agree with pretty much everything you say except the portion control part. Without knowledge portion control is a tough way to monitor calorie intake. Example 6 cups of broccoli is about 180 calories. One oz of nuts about 170.

 

Portion amounts are on every product. People prefer not to know or lazy are about it. Weight control is about discipline. Regardless of how you do it, you can lose weight in many ways and what I was trying to make a point about earlier is that some of the information out there makes it more work to lose the weight than it needs to. I took off over 20 lbs in 2 1/2 months with intermittent fasting. It was easy and it was not like I was highly overweight.

post #54 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valleygolfer View Post
 

 

Portion amounts are on every product. People prefer not to know or lazy are about it. Weight control is about discipline. Regardless of how you do it, you can lose weight in many ways and what I was trying to make a point about earlier is that some of the information out there makes it more work to lose the weight than it needs to. I took off over 20 lbs in 2 1/2 months with intermittent fasting. It was easy and it was not like I was highly overweight.

Not true. Ever seen nutrition information on bulk products. What if you don't have a scale and purchase fresh meats. Even if you have a scale how many would know the calorie difference between 4 oz of pork loin and 7 oz of sirloin. How do you portion out the pot roast your wife tosses in the crock-pot. Before any of that needs to be addressed someone would have to have an idea of what their daily nutritional needs are, the 2000 cal a day thing is vague and really doesn't work these days. Point is people eyeball portions and it's tough to judge calories based on size when there is no nutritional info.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Tour Talk
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Clubhouse › Tour Talk › Darren Clarke loses 40+ pounds w/an assist from...