or Connect
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Clubhouse › Golf Courses and Architecture › Which course is hardest, Pebble, Spanish Bay or Spyglass?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Which course is hardest, Pebble, Spanish Bay or Spyglass?

post #1 of 16
Thread Starter 

Going in to play in Feb. for a week, any tips on playing or clothing?

post #2 of 16

No Cypress?  ;-)

 

Spyglass is the toughest.  Dress warm, it can get chilly, otherwise enjoy!  

post #3 of 16
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mvmac View Post
 

No Cypress?  ;-)

 

Spyglass is the toughest.  Dress warm, it can get chilly, otherwise enjoy!  

We'll probably play cypress or dark horse on the way home

post #4 of 16

So your first question is what is the toughest. @mvmac said Spyglass and on the average he is right. But the weather at Pebble can make Pebble pretty tough as well. I played it on a few still days and it is tough but not overly tough. I have played it on windy days and it can be incredibly hard. I can remember one time when the whole group (I was playing with 2 scratch and a plus handicap) lost our balls on the 7th hole. All of them sailed over the 8th tee. 

 

I would play Bayonet over Black Horse but both are nice. You can also come up to Santa Cruz and play Pasatiempo which is a great track as well.  

post #5 of 16

I've never had the luxury ... but my dad and father-in-law had the toughest time at Spanish Bay.  The greens were really tough on them.  Probably the biggest factor, though, is that they made the smart move of getting a caddy for Pebble, and then used the same caddy for Spyglass, but for whatever reason, decided to go it alone at Spanish Bay.

 

Regardless ... you are playing 3 of the most beautiful courses around.  Have fun!!!!!!!

post #6 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack2putt View Post
 

We'll probably play cypress or dark horse on the way home

You mean Black Horse right? Of course Spy is the toughest and if the wind is up Pebble can be brutal.

post #7 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfingdad View Post

 

 

Regardless ... you are playing 3 of the most beautiful courses around.  Have fun!!!!!!!

 

Yeah no doubt about that, take lots of pictures!

post #8 of 16
Thread Starter 
Thanks guys, trying to decide what wedges to take, high mid or low bounce soles. how would you grade the turf conditions, hard, medium or soft?
post #9 of 16
I'll put my 2 cents in... the hardest individual shots are at Pebble. Not for actual difficulty, but for mental toughness. First tee at PB usually has a crowd around it with ALL EYES ON YOU. And then again at 18, not so much the drive- but the 2nd and approach shots are in front of the gallery on the porch outside the Lodge. You think: "This is great! I'm putting a 6 footer for birdie at Pebble!!! WITH ALL EYES ON YOU!!!!
post #10 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack2putt View Post

Thanks guys, trying to decide what wedges to take, high mid or low bounce soles. how would you grade the turf conditions, hard, medium or soft?


Spanish Bay will definitely be firm since they are links style as is Pebble but I think pebble is a bit softer from memory, just bring everything.

post #11 of 16

Another vote to go play Bayonet if you have the chance. The course is beautiful and very fun to play. If you're flexible time-wise, you can get on for $50 with a cart on golfnow, which is an absolute steal!

post #12 of 16
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by flopster View Post


Spanish Bay will definitely be firm since they are links style as is Pebble but I think pebble is a bit softer from memory, just bring everything.
thanks, I've started prepping all my wedges .... One of my friends said I probably won't need my driver at pebble, he recommended just taking my 13* fairway and bringing a 64* in place of driver. Thoughts?
post #13 of 16
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mvmac View Post

Yeah no doubt about that, take lots of pictures!
I will be sure to post a few while I'm there just to rub it in a bit...lol joking:banana:
post #14 of 16

I have not played PB or Spyglass, but have spent a lot of time on them. Have a number of friends who are caddies at all three and they pretty consistently say people struggle the most at Spanish Bay. PB and Spyglass have some difficult shots and greens for sure, but Spanish Bay can have some crazy set-ups. Plus there are more hills, elevation changes, and the rough can be tough. There are a few multi-level greens that can be tough too. So, PB and Spyglass can be "traditionally" difficult, while Spanish Bay can just be absurd. 

 

Clothing - its so random here. Most likely it will be mid 50s to low 60s and possibly windy. You will definitely want a sweater/jacket. Especially if you play PB. Even if its a nice sunny day, it can get windy and chilly on 6-10. 

post #15 of 16

I played these three courses (pebble then spyglass then Spanish Bay) in October.  It was so amazing, you will have a great time.

 

Clothing:  Im an Arizona guy, so for me it was a bit chilly (low 40's high low 60's).  Pants weather for sure.  I wore an under armor long sleeve under shirt with a regular golf shirt.  When it was breezy I had on my pullover light weight jacket, when it was more sunny and calm it was too warm with it on.  I teed of early (just before 8 am) each day.  Spanish bay was the coolest as the beginning holes were right on the breezy ocean.  I wore a beanie for the first 9 holes that day.  I was always comfortable, not to chilly for golf.

 

 

Pebble was the toughest for me, the greens are very small, and it took about 4 holes before my pulse was below 100bpm.  Technically spyglass is more difficult, but it set up better for me.  I hit some great shots at spyglass, and generally played better than at pebble, and avoided the trouble for the most part.  I had a blast at spanish bay.  (the only course I didnt use a caddy, but by the last day I had a pretty good grasp of the poa anua greens.)  had three doubles on pebble to go with three birdies shot an 80.  Had one birdie on spyglass, also shot 80.  Two birdies on spanish bay and shot 75. Usually shoot mid to low 70's at my home course.  Greens were running about 9.5-10. Not too fast, but really true.  I was playing mostly bermuda at the time (before overseeding) and it was an adjustment.  I putted well at pebble, and trusted the caddy, it was a good call.  He was right on.   We had the same caddy at spyglass.  I had better iron play there but didnt putt quite as well as I did at pebble and Spanish bay.

post #16 of 16
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaredco1 View Post

I played these three courses (pebble then spyglass then Spanish Bay) in October.  It was so amazing, you will have a great time.

Clothing:  Im an Arizona guy, so for me it was a bit chilly (low 40's high low 60's).  Pants weather for sure.  I wore an under armor long sleeve under shirt with a regular golf shirt.  When it was breezy I had on my pullover light weight jacket, when it was more sunny and calm it was too warm with it on.  I teed of early (just before 8 am) each day.  Spanish bay was the coolest as the beginning holes were right on the breezy ocean.  I wore a beanie for the first 9 holes that day.  I was always comfortable, not to chilly for golf.


Pebble was the toughest for me, the greens are very small, and it took about 4 holes before my pulse was below 100bpm.  Technically spyglass is more difficult, but it set up better for me.  I hit some great shots at spyglass, and generally played better than at pebble, and avoided the trouble for the most part.  I had a blast at spanish bay.  (the only course I didnt use a caddy, but by the last day I had a pretty good grasp of the poa anua greens.)  had three doubles on pebble to go with three birdies shot an 80.  Had one birdie on spyglass, also shot 80.  Two birdies on spanish bay and shot 75. Usually shoot mid to low 70's at my home course.  Greens were running about 9.5-10. Not too fast, but really true.  I was playing mostly bermuda at the time (before overseeding) and it was an adjustment.  I putted well at pebble, and trusted the caddy, it was a good call.  He was right on.   We had the same caddy at spyglass.  I had better iron play there but didnt putt quite as well as I did at pebble and Spanish bay.
Thanks good insight, I think I'm pretty well set for the week there. I'm sure you can play them many different ways like any course. I've set a goal to break seventy six on each one, I'm a very solid two so just knowing where not to hit the ball off the tees is my biggest challenge and also knowing when not to hit the driver. a2_wink.gif
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Golf Courses and Architecture
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Clubhouse › Golf Courses and Architecture › Which course is hardest, Pebble, Spanish Bay or Spyglass?