or Connect
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Clubhouse › Tour Talk › What's happening in Abu Dhabi?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

What's happening in Abu Dhabi?

post #1 of 54
Thread Starter 

Yes, one of the world's biggest banks HSBC, is shelling out in the desert for some golf boys to strut their stuff. Big Phil. hot Stenson, rested Rory, sulking Sergio all tee it up in the Arabian desert this next week. 

Sounds better than the American desert where the Humana golf happens. 

Naturally, no alcohol in Arabian lands so all players will be sober and strong for the millions of bucks on offer. 

Hmm. Where is Abu Dhabi?  And is that place different from Dubai?

post #2 of 54
Abu Dhabi is part of the country called United Arab Emirates and in English it's one of 7 states in the country and Dubai is another one of the 7.. I won't list the other ones because who cares, but basically Dubai is the most famous because of how much money they have paid to westernize the state and bring westerners there.. Abu Dhabi is about 2 hours drive from Dubai and they are trying to follow in the footsteps of Dubai even though from what I hear they are still more conservative than the latter.. (I got married in Dubai)

I'm Dubai I'm pretty sure they have a Taylormade training center so in terms of golfing and even courses they are really trying to cater to westerners as golfing in the Arab world is really not a priority.. Soccer is!
post #3 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by joekelly View Post
 

Yes, one of the world's biggest banks HSBC, is shelling out in the desert for some golf boys to strut their stuff. Big Phil. hot Stenson, rested Rory, sulking Sergio all tee it up in the Arabian desert this next week. 

Sounds better than the American desert where the Humana golf happens. 

Naturally, no alcohol in Arabian lands so all players will be sober and strong for the millions of bucks on offer. 

Hmm. Where is Abu Dhabi?  And is that place different from Dubai?

I have a good friend of mine who moved to Dubai two years ago for work.  And he tells me that even though there is suppose to be "no alcohol" in the Middle East, there are plenty of alcohol in areas where foreigners hang out.  So basically no alcohol for the natives only.

 

BTW, I thought Tiger would be playing there also.

post #4 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yukari View Post
 

I have a good friend of mine who moved to Dubai two years ago for work.  And he tells me that even though there is suppose to be "no alcohol" in the Middle East, there are plenty of alcohol in areas where foreigners hang out.  So basically no alcohol for the natives only.

 

BTW, I thought Tiger would be playing there also.

According to his website his second event of the year (after the Farmer's at Torrey Pine) is the Dubai Desert Classic at the end of January.

post #5 of 54

 

This is what happened in Abu Dhabi, incredibly awkward moment here starring Phil & Rory. 

post #6 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by hopefulhacker View Post




This is what happened in Abu Dhabi, incredibly awkward moment here starring Phil & Rory. 

wow.. that is awkward.. a3_biggrin.gif

They must have been like, what the hell is happening around me?
post #7 of 54
Maybe it's their new pre-shot routine :-D
 
Looking forward to watching the event, do you follow the Europen Tour Abu3baid?
post #8 of 54

Yep Tiger is confirmed to play at the Dubai Desert Classic the week after the Farmers Insurance Open at Torrey Pines http://web.tigerwoods.com/news/article/2014010866396006/news/

post #9 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by hopefulhacker View Post
 

 

No, not really.. :)

 

Sorry!

post #10 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by hopefulhacker View Post
 

 

 

This is what happened in Abu Dhabi, incredibly awkward moment here starring Phil & Rory. 

Holy crap that's awesome.  I really hope a reporter asks them about this.

post #11 of 54

Ha Ha, Phil was actually pretty good at whatever that was!

post #12 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsc123 View Post
 

Holy crap that's awesome.  I really hope a reporter asks them about this.

I think I have figured it out... I had another look at it and it seems as if this is a lesson to get them to change hands...

Rory is working on the his first lesson to convert to a left handed game, And Lefty is using his right hand...

 

Watch this space :-D 

post #13 of 54

Sulking? Sergio has played well for a year now … the putter is working.

 

But he's a Spaniard who is emotional - he'll go up and down and up and ...

post #14 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abu3baid View Post


wow.. that is awkward.. a3_biggrin.gif

They must have been like, what the hell is happening around me?

No wonder those guys make the big bucks….

 

If Phil and Rors are drinking men, they probably snuck a little something afterwards in private...

post #15 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yukari View Post
 

I have a good friend of mine who moved to Dubai two years ago for work.  And he tells me that even though there is suppose to be "no alcohol" in the Middle East, there are plenty of alcohol in areas where foreigners hang out.  So basically no alcohol for the natives only.

 

BTW, I thought Tiger would be playing there also.

I can assure you that there is plenty of alcohol in the Middle East and especially in Dubai, Abu Dhabi, and Qatar right there at the golf course. The only countries where it is illegal is Kuwait and Saudi Arabia to my knowledge and travels here over the past 8 years. Everywhere else you can get your sip on.

post #16 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by hopefulhacker View Post
 

 

This is what happened in Abu Dhabi, incredibly awkward moment here starring Phil & Rory. 

 

Can we create a separate thread where we all make up conversation transcriptions of what Phil/Rory were discussing during this event?

post #17 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by bplewis24 View Post
 

 

Can we create a separate thread where we all make up conversation transcriptions of what Phil/Rory were discussing during this event?

No problem at all with me! 

post #18 of 54

Have you seen Rory and Phil dancing in Abu Dhabi?

This is funny stuff. They just don't want anything to do with what is going on....

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Tour Talk
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Clubhouse › Tour Talk › What's happening in Abu Dhabi?