or Connect
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Pro Shop › Clubs, Grips, Shafts, Fitting › technology in Woods.........Is it the head or the shaft?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

technology in Woods.........Is it the head or the shaft?

post #1 of 12
Thread Starter 

As I mentioned in another thread, I'm looking for a new 3 wood, and as I started listing the things I wanted out of it, I realized the only club I've ever had that performed the way I want is the original Adams Tight Lies.

 

So my question is, how far behind todays clubs would that head be from a performance standpoint? If I bought one in good shape and dropped a new shaft in it, would it be comparable?

post #2 of 12

 

This video that I have attached is a video by Rick Shiels who is reviewing the original Big Bertha from the lat 90's against the Callaway X Hot from 2013. This video shows that there really is not that much difference other than forgiveness. I hope this helps!

post #3 of 12
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamGray View Post
 

 

This video that I have attached is a video by Rick Shiels who is reviewing the original Big Bertha from the lat 90's against the Callaway X Hot from 2013. This video shows that there really is not that much difference other than forgiveness. I hope this helps!

 

this is fantastic.....Lead me to go ahead and pull the trigger on a used tight lies on Ebay. The price for my new 3 wood? $8. Perhaps I'll stick a new shaft in it.

post #4 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dables View Post
 

 

this is fantastic.....Lead me to go ahead and pull the trigger on a used tight lies on Ebay. The price for my new 3 wood? $8. Perhaps I'll stick a new shaft in it.

 

i've been trying to find a clubbuilder for the last couple years who will do bore-thru shaft repair. if i can, i will be putting some matrix black tie shafts in my old callaway warbird big bertha woods. to this day the best i've ever hit out of any lie.

i think the greatest leaps have been made in shaft technology to be honest. it's amazing how they can make varied profiles, weights, and stiffness to fit any golfer. you can only put so much in a club head - see: player muscle/cavity back irons are VERY similar to how they were even 20 years ago

post #5 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dables View Post

this is fantastic.....Lead me to go ahead and pull the trigger on a used tight lies on Ebay. The price for my new 3 wood? $8. Perhaps I'll stick a new shaft in it.
Isn't forgiveness what were all looking for?
post #6 of 12
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakester23 View Post


Isn't forgiveness what were all looking for?

I'm not all that concerned about that. I'm primarily looking for a head shape that I'm comfortable with hitting off the deck, and If I can get that by spending $50 on a shaft as opposed to spending $200 on the new tight lies I'm going to give it a shot. I always felt like the original tight lies was pretty forgiving

post #7 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gioguy21 View Post

 

i've been trying to find a clubbuilder for the last couple years who will do bore-thru shaft repair. ....

If you can't find anyone local, contact GolfWorks. We all did a bore-through reshaft as part of the basic three-day school there.

 

GolfWorks not only sells components, it also does repair work. Check the online if interested.

post #8 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by WUTiger View Post
 

If you can't find anyone local, contact GolfWorks. We all did a bore-through reshaft as part of the basic three-day school there.

 

GolfWorks not only sells components, it also does repair work. Check the online if interested.

Thanks for this recommendation...i might just do it for fun. you're awesome WU. i owe you

post #9 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakester23 View Post


Isn't forgiveness what were all looking for?

 

Yes, and twice the accuracy seems even more important.
So the new driver is 8-10 yards longer (not that big of a deal) but more forgiving and twice as accurate (a really big deal, to most golfers).
I got done watching the video thinking that new drivers are worth the money.

post #10 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyThursday View Post

Yes, and twice the accuracy seems even more important.

So the new driver is 8-10 yards longer (not that big of a deal) but more forgiving and twice as accurate (a really big deal, to most golfers).

I got done watching the video thinking that new drivers are worth the money.

I think you make a great point but as long as you hit the center of the club face there is not a huge difference. Although most armature golfers don't. I think the video proves that even without the huge gains in distance we expect it is still worth the money for the accuracy and forgiveness
post #11 of 12

Not that it means anything ... but isn't the original tight lies considered more of a hybrid than a fairway wood?

 

I remembered it being really, really good at helping the ball get up and up quickly, so it seems like it would be difficult to use as a 3 wood off the tee.  Wouldn't it just balloon like crazy?

 

But I echo others that the tech is really in the forgiveness ... so if you are hitting the sweet spot of this club then you're probably not losing a whole lot over new ones ... especially if its providing you confidence.

post #12 of 12

Golfingdad,

 

By chance, I have an Adams 1999 product catalog here in my bookcase. (G, you are honor-bound not to tell my wife!)

 

The Tight Lies were fairway woods (see shaft length), with "upside down" heads that really got the ball up well. Here are the lofts of the original offerings:

 

Strong 2...12*...w/Graphite shaft 43".. w/Steel shaft 42 1/2"

Strong 3...13*

Original....16*

Strong 5...19*

Strong 7...24*

Strong 9...28*

Strong 11..32*

 

History tidbit: hybrids are descendents of the Bulldog, a trouble club from circa 1900 that had about a 25* loft, and a small wooden head about two golf balls wide.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Clubs, Grips, Shafts, Fitting
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Pro Shop › Clubs, Grips, Shafts, Fitting › technology in Woods.........Is it the head or the shaft?