or Connect
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Clubhouse › Golf Talk › Staying in Raleigh for US Open @ Pinehurst
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Staying in Raleigh for US Open @ Pinehurst

post #1 of 9
Thread Starter 

Hi guys, 

 

I'm new here. Sorry if there is already a thread on this but i am having massive problems trying to sort out going to the US Open in June 2014.

 

I'm an Australian who will be holidaying and heading to the 2014 US Open at Pinehurst.

I have booked the nearest hotel i could find which is in Raleigh.

I intend to go on Saturday and Sunday and will buy the tickets from the USGA website for $135 each day, which is all good.

 

My big question is - will there be return public transportation from Raleigh to Pinehurst??

There only seems to be tour groups which have the big pricey packages or expensive limousines from the airport. I thought it would be so much easier. I have searched the net relentlessly.

 

Am i best to just hire a car? (i've never driven on the other side of the road in my life) or should i just wait until a later date to see if there will be public transport? Surely there would be wouldn't there?

 

Also, do they only mail tickets out?... there doesn't seem to be an E-Ticket option?

 

I've asked the USGA some of these questions via the website, but their answers are very basic.

ie. there will be free shuttles in a 2 mile vicinity of Pinehurst where the car drop off point is 

post #2 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBTROY View Post
 

Am i best to just hire a car? (i've never driven on the other side of the road in my life) or should i just wait until a later date to see if there will be public transport? Surely there would be wouldn't there?

 

Yeah, you're probably best off hiring a car. It's not too bad making the opposite side of the road switch, lanes are wide here in the US of A and rentals are all automatic. And you'll find petrol is cheaper comparatively as well as rental rates.

 

I'm not a local, but have been to Southern Pines and Raleigh many times. That's a bit of a drive for the US Open on back to back days. I would book just outside Pinehurst somewhere, like Aberdeen or Carthage. Maybe the locals can chime in. 

 

And I would get the tickets ASAP considering you're flying in from aways.

post #3 of 9
Thread Starter 
Thanks heaps nevet88 for the advice. Yeah I know, I should jump to it asap.
post #4 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBTROY View Post
 

Hi guys, 

 

I'm new here. Sorry if there is already a thread on this but i am having massive problems trying to sort out going to the US Open in June 2014.

 

I'm an Australian who will be holidaying and heading to the 2014 US Open at Pinehurst.

I have booked the nearest hotel i could find which is in Raleigh.

I intend to go on Saturday and Sunday and will buy the tickets from the USGA website for $135 each day, which is all good.

 

My big question is - will there be return public transportation from Raleigh to Pinehurst??

There only seems to be tour groups which have the big pricey packages or expensive limousines from the airport. I thought it would be so much easier. I have searched the net relentlessly.

 

Am i best to just hire a car? (i've never driven on the other side of the road in my life) or should i just wait until a later date to see if there will be public transport? Surely there would be wouldn't there?

 

Also, do they only mail tickets out?... there doesn't seem to be an E-Ticket option?

 

I've asked the USGA some of these questions via the website, but their answers are very basic.

ie. there will be free shuttles in a 2 mile vicinity of Pinehurst where the car drop off point is 

Hey there...I live in Raleigh and will also be going to the US Open (probably only on Saturday). If you end up staying in Raleigh, definitely rent a car. Public trans. from Raleigh to Pinehurst would be too much of a headache. 

 

I have driven to Pinehurst from Raleigh a few times, it's not bad... but as Nevets mentioned it might be just a bit much to do the back and forth thing on BOTH Saturday and Sunday. So if there is a chance you can find a hotel closer to the tournament, I would recommend that as well. 

 

If for some reason you still end up making your way towards Raleigh, let me know!

post #5 of 9
Thread Starter 
Thanks heaps golf guy. Much appreciated. I've purchased my weekend tickets now so the most important thing is also sorted.
post #6 of 9
You can also try AirbnB to look for boarding. Some people have had bad experiences with it but my personal experience with it has been good, just be wary of anything suspicious.

I have a soft spot for Southern Pines it's one if my favorite golf destinations. It's not super-commercialized, it's like comfort food. Pinehurst, that general/candy/ice cream store is my fav. I've never been during a US Open so all that ruckus might throw my assessment out the window.
post #7 of 9
Thread Starter 
Thanks again Nevets. I'm getting excited already. The Presidents Cup in Melbourne was awesome, but I'm sure this will eclipse it.
post #8 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBTROY View Post

Thanks again Nevets. I'm getting excited already. The Presidents Cup in Melbourne was awesome, but I'm sure this will eclipse it.

 

Still some openings left but not many - I'd thought results would come up empty. 6K for a house. I'd want at least one video call before I even think about that.

 

https://www.airbnb.com/s/Carthage--NC?checkin=06%2F13%2F2014&checkout=06%2F15%2F2014&source=bb

post #9 of 9
Thread Starter 
Haha. Yeah, maybe you get to share with Miss Creamer or Gulbis at that price as they prepare for their major.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Golf Talk
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Clubhouse › Golf Talk › Staying in Raleigh for US Open @ Pinehurst