or Connect
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Clubhouse › Golf Talk › Golf membership opinion
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Golf membership opinion

post #1 of 19
Thread Starter 
 
 
 
 

Our CC changed the format to our membership structure for the "Limited" membership. Last 4 years our membership has been $600.00 before Dec 24th and $650.00 after. The usage is MTWTH after 12 and Sunday after 1:00. There was not option to play in almost all club tourneys. (I walk most of the time).

 

My game was usually played after 4 on weekends and 1:00 on Sunday. I played 2 times during the week after 4 and Sundays.

 

NORMAL FEES:  
  Early :  Mon - Fri  $37.50  Includes Carts
  Early :  Sat, Sun + Holidays  $47.50  Includes Carts:  Ends, June 23
  Early Special:  Mon - Thurs  $37.50  Opening until 8:00am - Includes Cart - Full Season
  Late :  Mon - Fri  $37.50  Includes Carts:  Begins October 15 thru closing
  Late :  Sat - Sun + Holidays  $47.50  Includes Carts:  Begins October 15 thru closing
  Peak :  Mon - Thurs  $60.00  Includes Carts:  Begins June 29 ends October 14
  Peak :  Fri, Sat, Sun + Holidays -  $70.00  Includes Carts:  Begins June 29 ends July 14th - ($75- July 15th- Oct. 14)
  Peak :  4:00pm - Later  $25.00  Walk
  Peak :  Seniors - 65+  $45.00  Mon - Thurs:  After 1:00pm - Includes Cart
  Junior - thru age 15  $25.00  Play with Adult

 

Membership offer:


  

 

 

Does anyone have any experience with this style of membership? Do you end up spending more money than the initial purchase. I know everyone plays different amount of golf and my life is very different schedule wise which would make it very difficult to play more than twice a week if that now. I may just get a range pass for $170 and play actual rounds sparingly. I played a lot of different courses last year too so having the card might be fine because the money will always be available and only used when I play. I just can't decide.

 

 

 
post #2 of 19
If you you have no reservations on the limitations on when you could play, I think it'd be a great idea to get the card if you plan on playing 17 or more rounds of golf at that course this year. If you didn't get the card and paid the going rate each time, playing 17 rounds of golf would put you over the $700 investment the card would cost ($700/$42.50 per round normally if you played an equal number of weekday and weekend rounds). If you got the card and locked in your rates at $20 per round, that'd get you 35 rounds.

For someone like me, I would be more inclined to bypass the card and go for a full membership. I'd do this for a few reasons: 1) I play a vast majority of my rounds of golf on Saturday's and Sunday's. I like to be done by noonish so I can get home to the family (the wife prefers that too); 2) I like to be able to sneak to the course during slow times and play a loop of holes. With a full membership, I don't have to worry about being charged for the 15 or 20 times during the year when I'll sneak in 4 or 5 holes after work; and 3) I play most of my rounds at my home course.

If those types of things aren't an issue for you, go for the card if you'll use up the money on it!
post #3 of 19

The deal doesn't seem that great to me, they block out all the times where you would save the most money and on the days you can play it looks like you're really only saving about 5 bucks after a cart is factored in.  For pre-paying almost $800 I think I would expect more.

post #4 of 19
Thread Starter 

I am veering away from the membership. I was planning to go full membership initially but now that I have a very limited schedule it will be tough to play frequently. I was really hoping to be able to start playing early Thursday and Sundays this year.

post #5 of 19

I suppose it depends on how nice the course is. When you say CC I assume private or semi-private, $700 would seems affordable for that. My public home course is $4400 a year for unlimited golf and it still has some restrictions and if you bring a guest and they ride in your cart there is a per game trail fee.

post #6 of 19

Can anyone access the golf course? Even if they don't buy the "limited membership" card?

 

If so, then all you are paying for is a pre-paid golf card with access to a discounted green fee.

 

It is nice that they allow the unused balance to be carried forward to the next year.

 

Are there any other benefits like being able to book a tee time before the public?

 

As others have said it may be worth while to get the discounted green fee. It seems to me that you would be able to play on Sunday at 1:00pm peak season for $20 vs. $75. That would be a good deal or am I reading it wrong.

post #7 of 19
To the OP, how many times did you play there or number of rounds ear that course? When does the course open for golf and when does it close? Does the course open April 1st and closes thanksgiving, if so that is 35 weeks, if you think you could average 35 rounds (1 per week) that might not be a bad starting point to run an excercise of which plan might work or no plan at all.
post #8 of 19
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ay33660 View Post
 

Can anyone access the golf course? Even if they don't buy the "limited membership" card?

 

If so, then all you are paying for is a pre-paid golf card with access to a discounted green fee.

 

It is nice that they allow the unused balance to be carried forward to the next year.

 

Are there any other benefits like being able to book a tee time before the public?

 

As others have said it may be worth while to get the discounted green fee. It seems to me that you would be able to play on Sunday at 1:00pm peak season for $20 vs. $75. That would be a good deal or am I reading it wrong.


It is open to the public. The deal would be best for the Sunday tee time. I rarely could get out before 4 on weekdays. I was thinking of playing 9 on my lunches more but it is not easy to get in 9 during that time. Golf now often has deals that are pretty good on Sundays too.I figured I got in 25 Sunday rounds a year. That would use $500 of the card or rough estimate of $1350 paying out of pocket. I would probably golf other areas on Sundays. It is so borderline for the value. We have quite few courses around here and of the 25 rounds I think I played 7 at other courses.

post #9 of 19
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfisher View Post

To the OP, how many times did you play there or number of rounds ear that course? When does the course open for golf and when does it close? Does the course open April 1st and closes thanksgiving, if so that is 35 weeks, if you think you could average 35 rounds (1 per week) that might not be a bad starting point to run an excercise of which plan might work or no plan at all.

I figured I played 18 Sunday rounds, and played Monday and Wednesday almost every week, with an occasional sneak in on Fridays. It is open exactly as you said. The issue is that I my schedule now may warrant early Thursday rounds and Monday night rounds with a limited chance at Sunday rounds now. I recently received temporary full custody of my daughter and it is unclear what my availability will be this summer.

post #10 of 19

I did not re-join my club last year - with all the cheap golfnow tee times, it didn't make sense to join.    What made the difference for me, was that I foot the bill for the annual membership & STILL had to pay the $10+ cart fee PER PERSON for my wife & I to play.      The cart fee is what killed it & EVERY course I play is arranged the same way ... they never include the cart fee for the membership tee times - pretty much pisses me off.    If you walk, sure the membership makes way more sense.      Long live golfnow !!

post #11 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by inthehole View Post
 

I did not re-join my club last year - with all the cheap golfnow tee times, it didn't make sense to join.    What made the difference for me, was that I foot the bill for the annual membership & STILL had to pay the $10+ cart fee PER PERSON for my wife & I to play.      The cart fee is what killed it & EVERY course I play is arranged the same way ... ...

My wife and I "reenlisted" for a couples' membership at a semi-private. $2,400 a year for unlimited golf with cart and range balls. Only stipulation: Can't play before noon on Saturday and Sunday.

 

Another benefit: Walters Golf Management runs the course, and we have reciprocal play with 12 other courses in the area. Reciprocal play costs $17 for 18 holes, cart included.

 

I hear you on the separate cart fees. A very nice equity country club near our house costs about $600 a month for dues and whatever. Then, they add on an additional $18 a person for carts.

 

Semi-private + reciprocal fits us better.

post #12 of 19

I would love to have such reasonable golf choices.

 

Here in Vancouver public courses are $50 (municipal) to $110.

 

Resort courses near Vancouver $80 to $150.

 

I know this doesn't compare to Pebble or other high end resorts in the US.

 

Guest rates at private clubs (hosted by a member) $65 to $120. Un-escorted rates at private club +$250 if available at all.

 

Initiation fees (non refundable) $45,000 to $100,000.

 

In general there is still a shortage of prime tee times as we are surrounded by mountains, sea and US border so not a lot of spare land to build golf courses.

 

Of course everything is relatively expensive in Vancouver when a 1940's bungalow on a 33' by 100' lot is over $1 million and that's not on the desirable west side where that lot could sell for $3.5 million.

post #13 of 19

One of the best deals I have heard of for quality courses has got to be the Town owned courses of Cape Cod. Depending on the town the annual fees for town residents which include free tee times for walkers ranges from $500 - $700 per season. They make most of there money from the summer visitors. from May til labor day the daily rate for non-members is about $70 per round plus cart fees (another $18). Still not too bad a fee for the general public. The courses are in very good condition for at least nine months a year. We also have some winter golf.

post #14 of 19

You need to analyze your personal playing habits and do the math to see if this is a good deal.   I am sure for some golfers, that's a fine opportunity.  For my playing habits...not so much.  I play often enough that I regularly pair as a single at the last minute so I don't have the time to mess with hunting internet deals.  Even if you have a regular weekend group, serious golfers play A LOT MORE than just weekends and we often play spur of the moment golf with strangers.  In fact, most of my golf is played this way even with a regular weekend group!!

 

Many years ago, I had a walking patron pass at a course.  I paid $400-500 for the pass, and I could walk the course anytime for $10.  Normal walking rates were $30-35 and this was before internet deals.........at that time, this was a good deal for me.  Even then, my play was limited by how many holes I thought I could play before dark because I had to pay to play.  (albeit at a reduced fee) 

 

With unlimited golf, it's amazing how I could suddenly find time to play more rounds in a year......LOL

post #15 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by club ho View Post

One of the best deals I have heard of for quality courses has got to be the Town owned courses of Cape Cod. Depending on the town the annual fees for town residents which include free tee times for walkers ranges from $500 - $700 per season. They make most of there money from the summer visitors. from May til labor day the daily rate for non-members is about $70 per round plus cart fees (another $18). Still not too bad a fee for the general public. The courses are in very good condition for at least nine months a year. We also have some winter golf.

Is that Barnstable fair grounds?
post #16 of 19
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckeyeNut View Post
 

You need to analyze your personal playing habits and do the math to see if this is a good deal.   I am sure for some golfers, that's a fine opportunity.  For my playing habits...not so much.  I play often enough that I regularly pair as a single at the last minute so I don't have the time to mess with hunting internet deals.  Even if you have a regular weekend group, serious golfers play A LOT MORE than just weekends and we often play spur of the moment golf with strangers.  In fact, most of my golf is played this way even with a regular weekend group!!

 

Many years ago, I had a walking patron pass at a course.  I paid $400-500 for the pass, and I could walk the course anytime for $10.  Normal walking rates were $30-35 and this was before internet deals.........at that time, this was a good deal for me.  Even then, my play was limited by how many holes I thought I could play before dark because I had to pay to play.  (albeit at a reduced fee) 

 

With unlimited golf, it's amazing how I could suddenly find time to play more rounds in a year......LOL

 

yea paying $20 for 9 holes in the evening is not the best deal and the Sunday round would be the best deal. I think I may have to hold off completely until my schedule normalizes and just do the golf now stuff and use the range at lunches. I don't see a lucrative golfing season in my future.

 

Maybe I will just come down and play golf with you Club ho, I'd even let you give me a couple of lobsters B-)

post #17 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfisher View Post


Is that Barnstable fair grounds?

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfisher View Post


Is that Barnstable fair grounds?

Barnstable fair grounds is one of two courses owned by the town of Barnstable. The other is Iyannough GC in Hyannis. I am not sure what the exact membership fee os for Barnstable but they tend to range from $500 - $700 per season. Banrstable, Brewster, Dennis and Yarmouth each have two courses.So you have two courses at that great rate. I play Cranberry Valley in Harwich. 

 

I have played Barnstable Fairgrounds many times, a real nice track. Also the town courses offer a great Youth rate of about $75 per year depending on the town. That rate holds till the youth reaches 21.

post #18 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by club ho View Post

Barnstable fair grounds is one of two courses owned by the town of Barnstable. The other is Iyannough GC in Hyannis. I am not sure what the exact membership fee os for Barnstable but they tend to range from $500 - $700 per season. Banrstable, Brewster, Dennis and Yarmouth each have two courses.So you have two courses at that great rate. I play Cranberry Valley in Harwich. 

I have played Barnstable Fairgrounds many times, a real nice track. Also the town courses offer a great Youth rate of about $75 per year depending on the town. That rate holds till the youth reaches 21.

The fees are cheap no doubt, but also the amount of members is huge, very tough to get on in season Jne-Sept. IMHO way to many members for what it is worth. Nice course though
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Golf Talk
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Clubhouse › Golf Talk › Golf membership opinion