or Connect
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Practice Range › Instruction and Playing Tips › Are Pressure Points Active or Passive at Address?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Are Pressure Points Active or Passive at Address? - Page 2

post #19 of 26
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by colin007 View Post

A mental image or "feel" for this would be to picture a waiter carrying a tray over his right shoulder.
I can relate to that.

Since my natural tendency is to cup my wrist, I should make a conscious effort to bow it, right? The end result should be somewhere in the middle?
post #20 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by colin007 View Post


A mental image or "feel" for this would be to picture a waiter carrying a tray over his right shoulder.

 

May work for some, not a requirement. I don't feel anything like that at all. 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by billchao View Post


You're a much better golfer than I am a2_wink.gif

What I meant by the post is that I can't seem to achieve a flat left wrist at the top, even with my best swing, so it's something I need to work on.

My swing gets too steep and I cut across the ball. I think one of the ways to fix it is to get more of a bow in my wrist, but anything I've tried so far to change that hasn't worked.

 

Not really a requirement. You should only need to worry about the backswing if you are doing something that is really hampering your swing. Also, what type of grip you have will effect how the club is at the top of the swing. So I wouldn't worry about it to much. If you are taking the club back at good turn rate, and don't get the club to far inside your hands, you'll be fine at the top. Its really hard to cup the club or bow the wrist when you do things correctly from address to the top. 

post #21 of 26
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by saevel25 View Post

Not really a requirement. You should only need to worry about the backswing if you are doing something that is really hampering your swing. Also, what type of grip you have will effect how the club is at the top of the swing. So I wouldn't worry about it to much. If you are taking the club back at good turn rate, and don't get the club to far inside your hands, you'll be fine at the top. Its really hard to cup the club or bow the wrist when you do things correctly from address to the top. 
So you're saying that my wrists breaking down at times is due to my turning rates? I think I can wrap my head around that.

I've made significant changes to my swing in a short amount of time, so it makes perfect sense that I'm not doing everything the right way on every swing.
post #22 of 26

No, I am just saying that there are other things that are more important than worrying about your wrists at the top. Usually fixing something else will fix what your hands do. The hands are primarily are reactive. Meaning they adjust to poor positions in the swing. Example if a golfer doesn't get his weight forward enough at impact the hands flip. If the hands are cupping or bowing at the top, it could be caused by a few things. Basically fix the major issues first, if you have any, and then see what the hands are doing. Fixing things tend to help get the hands in a better position. Like getting the clubhead more inline or outside the hands in the backswing helps the position at the top. Getting the weight forward and maintaining a steady head will help get the hands more forward at impact. Things are interconnected, and you get some fixes for free if you work on the correct things. 

 

I can't say what you are doing or not, I haven't seen your swing in person or video. 

post #23 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by billchao View Post


I can relate to that.

Since my natural tendency is to cup my wrist, I should make a conscious effort to bow it, right? The end result should be somewhere in the middle?

 

 

saevel is giving you good info, everything is interconnected.

as for bowing, it might be better to feel your right hand more directly under the grip at the top than the waiter image.  whatever works for you.

post #24 of 26
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by saevel25 View Post
 

No, I am just saying that there are other things that are more important than worrying about your wrists at the top. Usually fixing something else will fix what your hands do. The hands are primarily are reactive. Meaning they adjust to poor positions in the swing.

I think I understand what you're saying. I went back over my video archive of my old swings and it looks like I really only have a problem with the wrists when I overswing. When I fixed that, like you said, the hands fixed themselves.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by saevel25 View Post
 

I can't say what you are doing or not, I haven't seen your swing in person or video.

I do have a My Swing thread, I'll link it here: http://thesandtrap.com/t/70666/my-swing-billchao. You don't have to look at it if you don't want to; you've already been really informative and helpful, so thank you.

 

Also, I think I managed to hijack and derail my own thread...so the consensus on pressure points is not to worry about them, right?

post #25 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by billchao View Post

 

So, my question is, should I be actively squeezing them? Should I grip the club tighter so I can feel 1, 2, and 3 more? Should I squeeze the arms more to feel more 4 (and 5)? Is this one of those "depends on the individual" situations, or should everyone feel some sort of pressure (for lack of a better term) on the pressure points?

 

I'd describe myself at address as relaxed, even borderline lazy feeling. Is that too loose?

 

They are more "contact" points than pressure points.  You are not actively squeezing your arms on your pecs, not actively squeezing the fingers on the grip.  During the swing, hell yeah there is a ton of force being applied to the golf club/grip/shaft but it's not something where you go, "Ok now it's time to activate pressure point 3".

 

I feel the placement of certain pressure points are important, mostly the grip ones, because it corresponds with how the player "senses" the sweetspot and how the wrist angles load and unload.  Why you will tend to see us identify and fix palmy grips, just makes things much easier.

post #26 of 26
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mvmac View Post

They are more "contact" points than pressure points.  You are not actively squeezing your arms on your pecs, not actively squeezing the fingers on the grip.  During the swing, hell yeah there is a ton of force being applied to the golf club/grip/shaft but it's not something where you go, "Ok now it's time to activate pressure point 3".

I feel the placement of certain pressure points are important, mostly the grip ones, because it corresponds with how the player "senses" the sweetspot and how the wrist angles load and unload.  Why you will tend to see us identify and fix palmy grips, just makes things much easier.
Thanks, Mike. This is pretty much what everyone else was saying, too. I'm not gonna think about it anymore.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Instruction and Playing Tips
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Practice Range › Instruction and Playing Tips › Are Pressure Points Active or Passive at Address?