or Connect
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Clubhouse › Golf Talk › Walking vs. Riding
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Walking vs. Riding

post #1 of 96
Thread Starter 

Just wanted to see what everyone's thoughts are on walking vs. riding 18 holes...do you normally walk or ride? is there a reason you prefer one over the other? 

 

On Sunday I walked 18 holes for the first time ever (using a push cart). When I first started playing a few years ago, I would walk the 9 hole par 3 course by my house but never anything else outside of that.

 

A few things about my first experience (please remember this is coming from someone who has never walked lol):

 

- Played pretty bad...and I mean "pretty bad" based on my current game / personal standards. I am normally anywhere between 94-98 (120-129 slope courses) and rarely shoot over 100. I ended up with 108. Obviously, it could have absolutely nothing to do with walking lol...but just saying

 

- Im very into running / fitness so did enjoy it from the "workout" perspective. Not saying it was a major workout or anything...but definitely felt some good burn on the legs when pushing the cart up the uphill par 5s etc. 

 

- The one thing I did not like at all was, every time I got up to my ball I could feel my heart beating faster and generally just being more "pumped up" than if I just rode a cart up to my ball. Love this feeling during a workout but during a round of golf, I have a hard enough time as it is...feeling jittery / pumped up (anything other than calm) just makes it that much harder for me. Im a fast player as it is, so I probably was walking to my ball faster and with more intensity than I should have. Maybe I should try walking a little slower next time?

 

- I did not like having all that extra time in between shots to think lol! Because there is more time between shots, it was more time for my mind to do what it should not be doing like thinking about the bad shot I just hit or...thinking about the par putt I missed on the last hole etc. I know this is something that I need to control and perhaps use that time to be focusing on what I need to do with my next shot but, the bad thoughts are much less when I ride...probably because I just scoot up to my ball, take a club out, setup and swing...weather intentionally or not, when riding I just seem to be more focused on getting to my ball and hitting than analyzing past shots etc. Might be the exact opposite for some people? 

 

- It was 45 degrees out. Not sure if this helped our hurt me. I was thinking it might actually keep me warmer to walk since the muscles will be moving more etc. Figured 45 degrees probably would feel colder just sitting in a cart and only getting out to hit the shot etc.

 

- The course I walked is 6600 yards from the tips (I play the 6100 yard white tees). A good amount of big and small hills, slopes etc. The course was not very busy. Finished in 3 hours and 15 minutes...when this course is busy it usually takes me 4-4.5 hours when riding.

 

Looking forward to hearing everyone's opinion! 

post #2 of 96
The search function is your friend. a2_wink.gif

You'll find a TON of threads devoted to that somewhat touchy subject.

http://thesandtrap.com/newsearch?search=Walking
post #3 of 96
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by David in FL View Post

The search function is your friend. a2_wink.gif

You'll find a TON of threads devoted to that somewhat touchy subject.

http://thesandtrap.com/newsearch?search=Walking

ugh - sorry everyone - should have thought about doing that before posting! thanks David ;)

post #4 of 96

I normally play a little better when I walk (for some reason) but I rarely walk because none of my playing partners like to walk (except my wife). I wear a pedometer every day and make sure I get 20,000 steps a day so I'm going to be walking that much anyway. If somebody wants to walk I'll walk. 

 

I figure I play better when I walk because I have more motivation to not have to chase my golf ball all over the course.

post #5 of 96

My home course got built as part of a subdivision, with some wilderness areas thrown in. So, the front nine has places where it's a long way - and up and down hills - from green to next tee.

 

Another course in our area has three stretches like that. Basically, walkers would get run into the ground by people riding carts.

 

I can walk 9 holes on a flatter course, but for 18 I prefer a cart.

 

If a course had pull carts, I could walk a 18 with one.

post #6 of 96
I play a 9 hole league with some friends and there dads at St. Ann International golf course in St. Louis. We walk that every time. It is about as flat as a course can get. I also play an 18 hole par 3 course that has lights where I will walk as well. Like wutiger said most of the courses I play around St. Louis are built around subdivisions with wilderness areas thrown in, which doesn't make walking feasible.
post #7 of 96
Not possible to walk at the 3 courses I play most. Some holes are hundreds of yards apart at one course, tunnels go under streets and around houses. Riding is mandatory despite quite few holes being path only.
post #8 of 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave2512 View Post

Not possible to walk at the 3 courses I play most. Some holes are hundreds of yards apart at one course, tunnels go under streets and around houses. Riding is mandatory despite quite few holes being path only.

Its not that it isnt possible, the course simply mandates carts to speed up play and so that they can make more money.

post #9 of 96

The only time I walk is when playing alone because it helps slow me down, typically resulting in a better score. Playing alone and riding in a cart is just too fast of a pace for me and I begin to rush myself. Also, it keeps me from having to play through every two-some that's in front of me... Also, I don't often walk 18 hole rounds but that is partially because I don't often play 18 hole rounds alone.

 

I do find it very peaceful though walking a late afternoon round by myself and just enjoy the nice weather. Last fall I would go to a nice local muni after getting off work for the "twilight hours" to get a discounted rate and walk 9 holes for a significant discount. You can save some serious money by walking and playing afternoons during the middle of the week. I would play 9 holes for $8. The same course on Saturday morning with a cart is $50.

post #10 of 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaijinGolfer View Post

Its not that it isnt possible, the course simply mandates carts to speed up play and so that they can make more money.

Sure it wouldn't be impossible for the sadistic types that would find traversing over miles of hills with clubs enjoyable. It is more than the situation it wasn't designed to walk. A walker would need to walk the path on nearly every hole because the course winds through reedy wetland, not one footbridge out there. Tee boxes are patches of grass in native areas. No kidding it would probably take 3 hours to walk the course without golfing. But it ins't about money. Fees are $35 peak 18 and $22 after 3PM. One of the cheapest courses I play.
post #11 of 96

I've never played a "mandatory cart" course here in the UK and I much prefer carrying than riding/pushing as it means my clubs are with me for whatever shot I take.

If I rode, stopped on the cart path, walked to my ball with a 7i and upon getting there realised the wind was more than expected and I needed a 6i or 5i I'd have to walk back over to the cart, swap clubs, walk back to the ball and play my shot which wastes time (this is even worse if the player has a high enough handicap that they whiffle a ball 20 yards and then have to mess with clubs on top of that). If I'm carrying I get to my ball, put my bag down and any club change takes 3 seconds instead of a minute.

post #12 of 96

I always walk so I probably wouldn't play a course that requires carts (although I have seen them). For some reason I just really hate riding. I play too fast and I just feel uncomfortable in a cart. I like to feel the ground under my feet and take in the whole course. For me, it's just more enjoyable to walk. Another reason I like to walk is the ability to take my entire set of clubs with me wherever I am on the course. Just a personal preference.

post #13 of 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddog10 View Post
 

The only time I walk is when playing alone because it helps slow me down, typically resulting in a better score. Playing alone and riding in a cart is just too fast of a pace for me and I begin to rush myself. Also, it keeps me from having to play through every two-some that's in front of me... Also, I don't often walk 18 hole rounds but that is partially because I don't often play 18 hole rounds alone.

 

I do find it very peaceful though walking a late afternoon round by myself and just enjoy the nice weather. Last fall I would go to a nice local muni after getting off work for the "twilight hours" to get a discounted rate and walk 9 holes for a significant discount. You can save some serious money by walking and playing afternoons during the middle of the week. I would play 9 holes for $8. The same course on Saturday morning with a cart is $50.

Pretty much how I feel.  I walk a local muni par 3 course when I am by myself.  More in practice mode.  I don't mind the time between shots, I feel it gives me time to mellow out and not be to happy about the good or mad about the bad, a skill I have been trying to carrry over to my regular game in a cart.   I carry my bag and enjoy the exercise.

post #14 of 96

I much prefer to walk. I often ask at the pro shop (If it's a course I'm not familiar with) whether the course is walk-able or not.

I enjoy the exercise and the overall feel of it. I believe I believe the most I've walked was 45 holes in one day. 

I definitely cannot say I enjoy riding. 

post #15 of 96
Thread Starter 

Interesting responses....a question I have and please forgive me if I should know this (once again, just walked my first round using push cart)...if there is a 90 degree rule in effect does that only apply to motorized carts? Or does 90 degree rule also apply to walkers who are not carrying their bag? (using push / pull cart). 

 

I know the motorized carts can cause major damage to the fairways during certain conditions when 90 degree rule is set but I would think a push or pull cart would not have the same effect? Although I could be wrong ;) Please enlighten me!

post #16 of 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by GolfGuy123 View Post
 

Interesting responses....a question I have and please forgive me if I should know this (once again, just walked my first round using push cart)...if there is a 90 degree rule in effect does that only apply to motorized carts? Or does 90 degree rule also apply to walkers who are not carrying their bag? (using push / pull cart). 

 

I know the motorized carts can cause major damage to the fairways during certain conditions when 90 degree rule is set but I would think a push or pull cart would not have the same effect? Although I could be wrong ;) Please enlighten me!

 

Dunno the "right" answer to this, but in all the years I've been playing, people with push/pull carts/trolleys don't follow those rules. I'm guessing not nearly heavy enough, unless you've got some gold bars in your bag or something, in that case, what the hell are you doing with gold in your bag?

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiniBlueDragon View Post
 

I've never played a "mandatory cart" course here in the UK and I much prefer carrying than riding/pushing as it means my clubs are with me for whatever shot I take.

If I rode, stopped on the cart path, walked to my ball with a 7i and upon getting there realised the wind was more than expected and I needed a 6i or 5i I'd have to walk back over to the cart, swap clubs, walk back to the ball and play my shot which wastes time (this is even worse if the player has a high enough handicap that they whiffle a ball 20 yards and then have to mess with clubs on top of that). If I'm carrying I get to my ball, put my bag down and any club change takes 3 seconds instead of a minute.

 

I always take 3 clubs if away from bag and not certain, walking or riding.

post #17 of 96

I used to ride every round and thought I'd never like golf enough to walk.  But then we had a cart path only day and a buddy of mine convinced me that riding in a card on a cartpathonly day was the worst way to play golf.  We grabbed a couple push carts and were off - and I've never looked back.  I've walked over 80% of my rounds since then.

 

I am glad I get exercise from the walking, but it is not why I do it.  I like the idea of hitting my ball and then walking right to it and hitting it again.  I also like having my clubs near me instead of over by the cart path.  And I have come to appreciate it from a purists standpoint.  It is how they did it in the old days and how pro golf is played now.  Probably college and high school too.

 

I live in Atlanta and there are plenty of courses that would be walking prohibitive due to hills and such.  But the one I play most often is near the river and parts of it are flat.  Also there isn't much distance green to tee.  Some courses were simply meant to be ridden.  

 

The main two drawbacks I've found about walking are that I don't have divot sand on me and I can't really help another player search for lost balls if they are on the other side of the fairway.  

 

I find it odd that you are into fitness and running and yet you are super winded when you come to hit your ball.  I don't experience this except on the toughest of hills.  I'm thinking maybe the course you walked is just too hilly for walking.  I wouldn't want to be that winded trying to hit every time.

 

I use a 4-wheel push cart.  I don't enjoy the experience of shouldering and de-shouldering the bag every time.  To me, the push cart is the next best thing to having a caddy. I do take my push cart on the cart path only holes and have never given it a second thought.  No one has ever said anything to me.  I don't take it on the green obviously and I don't take it near super wet areas where it could cause a rut or anything.  I've definitely never damaged a golf course with it.

 

I'm also curious about the extra time you say you had between shots.  In this case you walked in 3.5 hours but often you ride in 4.5 hours.  So the time between shots would actually be less than some of your rounds.

post #18 of 96
I walk most of the time only because I feel it helps my lower back stay loose. Plus I like having all my clubs with me the entire time.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Golf Talk
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Clubhouse › Golf Talk › Walking vs. Riding