or Connect
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Pro Shop › Clubs, Grips, Shafts, Fitting › Getting clubs cut down
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Getting clubs cut down

post #1 of 18
Thread Starter 

Just wondering when a set of irons are cut down an inch is it necessary for the weight of the clubs to be all changed and altered? The local pro didnt really seem to think so and didnt mention it. Just wanted to cut them down. I choke down on the club anyways because they were so big for me so apparently I will be use to the shaft being a bit stiffer from them being cut because of me choking down on it. 

post #2 of 18
Gripping down does not stiffen the shaft

But an inch off the butt will stiffen, more so if you don't add weight to the head

You're doing several things- but two are that you're losing some overall weight and club balance

You're just going to have to hit them and see what happens

There is always lead tape you can add to the cavity to help rebalance and slightly soften the shaft

Hit them first
post #3 of 18

by cutting down your clubs by an inch your doing a few things, your changing the swing weight of the club, the over all weight of the club. 

now if your comfortable with the feel and playability of the club buy choking down you also want to take into consideration the size of the grip where you hands finish on the grip when you choke down. you are moving the flex point of the shaft up towards the butt end of although not by much. as far as the shaft getting stiffer it will not play that much different than what it was playing considering most shafts are made to be butt trimmed for size and tip trimmed for flex. hope this helped   

post #4 of 18

One inch is a lot without compensating for swing weight, even though it is all cut at the butt... .5 inches not a big deal... But one inch.

 

It depends on how the original club was set up.

 

Gotta hit it.

 

Although the club pro should have come clean with you ... and told you the effects ... but maybe he didn't want it to get into your head... as we may have.

post #5 of 18

i agree 1" is a lot to cut off the shaft with out head weighting unless you want to play clubs that swing weight in the mid c weight, which is more along a women club. i myself play clubs that are an shorter than standard and had to tip weight 15 grams to get them to the d1 i was looking for. but i built them myself  

post #6 of 18

Swingweight goes down about 2 to 3 points for every half inch you cut the shaft.

 

Adding weight to the head is a hassle plus you then get into shaft flex issues.

 

The most I would cut a club is half an inch. More than that causes too many problems.

post #7 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by mackingchicken View Post
 

Just wondering when a set of irons are cut down an inch is it necessary for the weight of the clubs to be all changed and altered? The local pro didnt really seem to think so and didnt mention it. Just wanted to cut them down. I choke down on the club anyways because they were so big for me so apparently I will be use to the shaft being a bit stiffer from them being cut because of me choking down on it. 

 

I would recommend just continuing the choke down on them.  As others have said, an inch is a lot and you'll end up with a much lighter feeling club.  Would wait until you buy a new set and get the specs right from the get go or you could just get them re-shafted.

 

Are they "standard" length clubs now, or have they been lengthened?

 

If the pro thinks the weight won't be altered you either mis-heard what he said or he's an idiot.

post #8 of 18
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mvmac View Post
 

 

I would recommend just continuing the choke down on them.  As others have said, an inch is a lot and you'll end up with a much lighter feeling club.  Would wait until you buy a new set and get the specs right from the get go or you could just get them re-shafted.

 

Are they "standard" length clubs now, or have they been lengthened?

 

If the pro thinks the weight won't be altered you either mis-heard what he said or he's an idiot.

Well the head's on them are actually quite heavy compared to most. So if they only become lighter that could be a good thing? 

The pro at the time didnt really mention anything about the weight he just said easy done kind of thing.

post #9 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by mackingchicken View Post
 

Well the head's on them are actually quite heavy compared to most. So if they only become lighter that could be a good thing? 

 

That would be up to you IMO  How much heavier are the heads?  Do you want the club to feel significantly lighter?

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mackingchicken View Post

 

The pro at the time didnt really mention anything about the weight he just said easy done kind of thing.

 

Gotcha, yeah it's an easy thing to do.

post #10 of 18
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mvmac View Post
 

 

That would be up to you IMO  How much heavier are the heads?  Do you want the club to feel significantly lighter?

 

 

 

Not sure on exact weight but I know from feeling they are a lot heavier then some of the taylormade and callaways I was looking at in the store, like a significant feeling.

So yeah if they are going to feel lighter I would probably consider that a plus.

post #11 of 18
I got my clubs fitted, and was advised to have the lie 2* flat, but I wanted them shorter as they felt longer than my previous set, I asked for an inch off and they virtually pleaded with me not to saying a whole inch is too much! They said Half inch, and we met in the middle at .75", this would also mean the lie would not have to be flattened! I have since read a lot on this subject and it would appear an inch is a lot, (unless you have short legs and long arms) the clubs I chose turned out to be slightly longer than most standard lengths and it turned out ok for me, but my swing has improved/changed since then so I'm getting the lie angles checked again!
It would seem half inch won't make that much difference to sw or flex to most amateur players, but it will effect the lie angle slightly, shorter clubs are easier to hit so on that basis if you don't feel comfortable with the length, get half inch off, get comfortable with them, and THEN get the lie angles checked!
post #12 of 18

there is no industry standard club length. club manufactures increase their length and advertise more distance and all the manufactures make the head at the same weight give or take a gram.

if the club you are playing now feel heavier to you than a set you picked up in a store its because the shafts are lighter than what your play now, not the head. different manufactures make heads in different weights  in hybrids and woods but most iron heads are the same, ex. most lob wedges and sand wedge heads weigh 300 grams and they get 7 grams lighter as you go up the set.

i would like to ask cause i didnt see it on earlier posts what are you playing now?

post #13 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuzcapri View Post
 

there is no industry standard club length. club manufactures increase their length and advertise more distance and all the manufactures make the head at the same weight give or take a gram.

if the club you are playing now feel heavier to you than a set you picked up in a store its because the shafts are lighter than what your play now, not the head. different manufactures make heads in different weights  in hybrids and woods but most iron heads are the same, ex. most lob wedges and sand wedge heads weigh 300 grams and they get 7 grams lighter as you go up the set.

i would like to ask cause i didnt see it on earlier posts what are you playing now?

nice stream of consciousness...

 

It all depends on where the clubs are now ... and nothing was stated.

 

Heck, it could be 39.5 inch 5i ....

 

Mizuno has A and B heads -- weighted differently 

post #14 of 18

so with their ability to make different weighted heads they do not have to tip weight to get the club to a certain swing weight giving them the ability to use different shaft, head and grip combo

post #15 of 18
Thread Starter 

Well this thread got me worried for no real reason. 

Pro took 2inches of them and I used them today, gained distance and felt extremely comfortable with them seeing they are a much better size now. He said shaft is a bit stiffer because of it but I couldn't notice a difference.

Was hitting the ball pretty good the whole day.

post #16 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by mackingchicken View Post
 

Well this thread got me worried for no real reason. 

Pro took 2inches of them and I used them today, gained distance and felt extremely comfortable with them seeing they are a much better size now. He said shaft is a bit stiffer because of it but I couldn't notice a difference.

Was hitting the ball pretty good the whole day.


I'm glad it worked out for you.

 

I don't think anybody was trying to worry you. They were simply giving you the facts about the change in swing weight cutting after cutting down clubs so you could make a more educated decision.

 

Most of us don't even know what our optimum swing weight is anyway and it's always possible cutting them down could take the swing weight in the right direction. Of course if the swing weight is optimum to begin with cutting them off would change it and to bring the swing weight back to what is desired weight would have to be added.

post #17 of 18
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by MS256 View Post
 


I'm glad it worked out for you.

 

I don't think anybody was trying to worry you. They were simply giving you the facts about the change in swing weight cutting after cutting down clubs so you could make a more educated decision.

 

Most of us don't even know what our optimum swing weight is anyway and it's always possible cutting them down could take the swing weight in the right direction. Of course if the swing weight is optimum to begin with cutting them off would change it and to bring the swing weight back to what is desired weight would have to be added.

Yeah I know but all the comments made me feel like I was going to pick them up and wouldnt be able to even hit them haha.

But all in all very pleased that I got them cut down!

post #18 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by mackingchicken View Post
 

Yeah I know but all the comments made me feel like I was going to pick them up and wouldnt be able to even hit them haha.

But all in all very pleased that I got them cut down!

Well, we never did get a starting point, as we pointed out...

 

OP, next time, measure the 5i ...

 

I once bought a set of Pings that start out as a 39.5 inch 5i in R flex -- had Ping cut to 38 inches, and all played well - swing weight and flex was workable. So you've got to know the starting point….

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Clubs, Grips, Shafts, Fitting
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Pro Shop › Clubs, Grips, Shafts, Fitting › Getting clubs cut down