or Connect
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Clubhouse › Rules of Golf › Can you use GPS when applying for handicap?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Can you use GPS when applying for handicap?

post #1 of 17
Thread Starter 

I don't have a handicap yet but i've worked it out for around 16. I use a GPS watch which is amazing and I play so much better with it (who doesn't).

 

I am going to get my handicap this summer but when I take the official for the rounds for him to take my scores am I allowed to use my GPS watch?

 

Thanks

post #2 of 17

In the US you can, without the local rule being in place.  Don't know how the UK handicapping authority sees it.

post #3 of 17

I believe with the CONJU system, all handicap scores are "tournament" scores from qualified rounds/competitions.

post #4 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dormie1360 View Post
 

I believe with the CONJU system, all handicap scores are "tournament" scores from qualified rounds/competitions.

 

Not all.  I believe that supplemental rounds are also allowed in calculating handicaps.

post #5 of 17

However. they (both Qualifying Competitions and Supplementary Scores) must be played under the Rules of Golf which means the Local Rule must be in force.

 

Initial handicaps are allocated taking the best score of a minimum of 3 rounds played under the RoG on rated courses with a marker.

post #6 of 17
Thread Starter 

I asked the golf pro at the club I am getting my handicap he said I can use it.

post #7 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klarkus View Post
 

I asked the golf pro at the club I am getting my handicap he said I can use it.

 

The Local Rule is probably in force but check again with the pro (or preferably with your handicap secretary as many pros are not involved in or knowledgeable about the handicapping system).

If it is not in force your score cannot be used in allocating an initial handicap.

post #8 of 17
Can't understand why not, handicaps are submitted scores, submitted scores can be casual rounds of golf, they do not have to be competitive rounds.
post #9 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfisher View Post

Can't understand why not, handicaps are submitted scores, submitted scores can be casual rounds of golf, they do not have to be competitive rounds.

 

The handicap rules are somewhat different in the UK.

post #10 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rulesman View Post
 

 

The Local Rule is probably in force but check again with the pro (or preferably with your handicap secretary as many pros are not involved in or knowledgeable about the handicapping system).

If it is not in force your score cannot be used in allocating an initial handicap.

I can understand how the local rule would be in effect or not in a competition.  But how would that play out in one of those supplemental rounds?  Would it be a local rule adopted by the course, the handicap committee of the club through which the handicap is established?  Wouldn't there be the possibility of distortion if one club's HC allows it and another doesn't?

 

Disclaimer: I don't know much about your system, just to provide context in case I say something stupid.  ;-)

post #11 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by turtleback View Post
 

I can understand how the local rule would be in effect or not in a competition.  But how would that play out in one of those supplemental rounds?  Would it be a local rule adopted by the course, the handicap committee of the club through which the handicap is established?  Wouldn't there be the possibility of distortion if one club's HC allows it and another doesn't?

 

Disclaimer: I don't know much about your system, just to provide context in case I say something stupid.  ;-)

 

In the UK it is normal for LRs to be applied for the course by the Members' Competition/Handicapping Committee and therefore for all rounds played by Members.

 

Although about 50% of courses here are proprietary clubs (ie owned by hotels or other companies) but they will have a Members club running the golf. Some owners will be very hands on but usually work closely with the members committee.

To have a handicap the Members' Club has to be affiliated and pay a subscription to the national authority (eg Golf England or the Scottish Union).

Visiting parties may well choose which LRs to ignore or add, but that is very unusual.

Of course, some (many) members playing socially do whatever :whistle:

post #12 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rulesman View Post
 

 

In the UK it is normal for LRs to be applied for the course by the Members' Competition/Handicapping Committee and therefore for all rounds played by Members.

 

Although about 50% of courses here are proprietary clubs (ie owned by hotels or other companies) but they will have a Members club running the golf. Some owners will be very hands on but usually work closely with the members committee.

To have a handicap the Members' Club has to be affiliated and pay a subscription to the national authority (eg Golf England or the Scottish Union).

Visiting parties may well choose which LRs to ignore or add, but that is very unusual.

Of course, some (many) members playing socially do whatever :whistle:

Thanks.

post #13 of 17
As I understand it using a GPS is only against the rules if a local rule is in force i.e. the committee has made it so but if this is not the case then it will impact you getting a handicap.

I do not think though that 'casual' rounds of golf can count towards your 3 qualifying rounds. They have to be on a full course under competition rules, which means whilst you cannot enter a competition you can get one of your playing partners to mark a card for you. when 3 of these are submitted to the competition secretary he will take the average (not sure if its weighted or if a maximum stroke rule is applied i.e. the maximum strokes you can take on a hole until you do not score at stapleford to a max of a provisional 28 handicap) and award you a handicap.

Again I’m not sure if a previous handicap is taken into account and if it is how long ago it was since you had it. I'm not sure if this is similar to where you gain a full shot for each season you do not enter a minimum of competitions in that season, this will also preclude you entering some competitions if you haven’t too.
post #14 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by smidgin View Post

As I understand it using a GPS is only against the rules if a local rule is in force i.e. the committee has made it so but if this is not the case then it will impact you getting a handicap.

I do not think though that 'casual' rounds of golf can count towards your 3 qualifying rounds. They have to be on a full course under competition rules, which means whilst you cannot enter a competition you can get one of your playing partners to mark a card for you. when 3 of these are submitted to the competition secretary he will take the average (not sure if its weighted or if a maximum stroke rule is applied i.e. the maximum strokes you can take on a hole until you do not score at stapleford to a max of a provisional 28 handicap) and award you a handicap.

Again I’m not sure if a previous handicap is taken into account and if it is how long ago it was since you had it. I'm not sure if this is similar to where you gain a full shot for each season you do not enter a minimum of competitions in that season, this will also preclude you entering some competitions if you haven’t too.

DMDs are against the Rules UNLESS there is a Local Rule in force saying they may be used.

 

 It would appear that you are in the CONGU area (GB & Ireland). The handicapping system in the US (where most posters here are from) is quite different.

 

The CONGU regulations require you to put in a minimum of 3 cards (more may be required by some clubs) played under the Rules with a marker.

 

Any score on a hole over double bogey is reduced to a double bogey. Your best gross score of the cards is your initial handicap.

post #15 of 17

I think the DMDs local rule is approved and then applied at County level and individual clubs will then follow it, so all inter-club matches (which usually occur within the same county) are played off the same set of rules.

 

Also, the 3 rounds (or any supplemental round) need to be declared as such before you play the round (pro or handicap sec - depends on the club).

 

Certainly the club where I'm a member will go through the procedure and then compare the result to a previous lapsed handicap at another club, there have been a few cases where good golfers have turned up not played well to start with and ended up with handicaps that turn out to be way too high.

post #16 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wansteadimp View Post
 

I think the DMDs local rule is approved and then applied at County level and individual clubs will then follow it, so all inter-club matches (which usually occur within the same county) are played off the same set of rules.

 

Also, the 3 rounds (or any supplemental round) need to be declared as such before you play the round (pro or handicap sec - depends on the club).

 

Certainly the club where I'm a member will go through the procedure and then compare the result to a previous lapsed handicap at another club, there have been a few cases where good golfers have turned up not played well to start with and ended up with handicaps that turn out to be way too high.

England and all (to the best of my knowledge) counties allow DMDs in their competitions. Clubs can (and do) what they please for their internal comps.

 

CONGU regulations do not require that rounds for initial handicap allocation are declared before play. However, they must be played on the home course. The Committee may specify the requirements for a marker, usually a member with a handicap. The norm is a minimum of 3 rounds over 18 holes but 54 may be played in a combination of 9s and 18s.

 

Previous (lapsed) handicaps and other playing records must be taken into account when allocating an initial handicap.

 

Rounds for 'Supplementary Scores' must be declared prior to play and must be over 18 holes on the home course.

post #17 of 17
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Rules of Golf
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Clubhouse › Rules of Golf › Can you use GPS when applying for handicap?