or Connect
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The 19th Hole › Sports › 2014 Winter Olympics
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

2014 Winter Olympics - Page 2

post #19 of 148
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr22putt View Post
 

Mmmmmm....luv me some Canadian Cougar.....Cheryl Bernard...she was the skip in the 2010 Olympics....I'm not sure if she's on the team in 2014.....enjoy!!!!!!

 

The juxtaposition of that photo and your avatar is priceless.  

post #20 of 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsc123 View Post
 

 

The juxtaposition of that photo and your avatar is priceless.  


Haha...true true

post #21 of 148

Slaughtered dogs, no plumbing, dangerous water, unfinished facilities, not enough pillows, sub-tropical climate, workers sleeping in your bed when you arrive in your hotel room, and can't get there from anywhere (even if you wanted to). And all for a price tag of over 50 billion dollars.

 

Sounds like a blast. :loco:

 

http://www.complex.com/sports/2014/02/5-stories-have-us-worried-about-2014-winter-olympics-sochi

post #22 of 148

I can't do it!  I can't accept curling as an Olympic sport no matter how hot the contestants are!  Sorry!  It falls in the synchronized swimming, rhythmic gymnastics category for me.  It may be a great game to play, but not Olympic level.

post #23 of 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by boogielicious View Post
 

I can't do it!  I can't accept curling as an Olympic sport no matter how hot the contestants are!  Sorry!  It falls in the synchronized swimming, rhythmic gymnastics category for me.  It may be a great game to play, but not Olympic level.

No way ... those aren't comparable at all!!  ;)  At least curling is an objective sport.  That's the main key for me.  It's hard to get too invested in figure skating when its all up to judges.

 

Oh, and if you have a problem with curling in the Olympics, just wait, because they are making a serious push to get bowling on the card for the next (or the one after that) summer Olympics. :beer:

post #24 of 148
Thread Starter 

What's not to like about judged sports?

 

 

 

 

 

Also, Russia blame the journalists for the conditions of the hotels.. 

 

Quote:

"We have surveillance video from the hotels that shows people turn on

the shower, direct the nozzle at the wall and then leave the room for the

whole day," he said. An aide then pulled a reporter away before Mr. Kozak

could be questioned further on surveillance in hotel rooms. "We're doing a

tour of the media center," the aide said.

 

http://gizmodo.com/sochi-official-our-shower-surveillance-footage-says-ho-1517435247

 

Wait, what?  surveillance video of hotel showers?

post #25 of 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsc123 View Post
 

What's not to like about judged sports?

 

 

 

 

 

Also, Russia blame the journalists for the conditions of the hotels..

 

 

http://gizmodo.com/sochi-official-our-shower-surveillance-footage-says-ho-1517435247

 

Wait, what?  surveillance video of hotel showers?

LOL.  I like the judged sports just fine, just don't really understand the judging and don't really care for the politics of it.  (The idea that people without marquee names, and people that go early, are pretty much guaranteed to get lower scores so they can leave room for upcoming stars.)

 

Guy sorta stuck his foot in his mouth there with the surveillance-in-showers comment, huh?  LOL!

post #26 of 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfingdad View Post
 

LOL.  I like the judged sports just fine, just don't really understand the judging and don't really care for the politics of it. 

 

Oh, you mean like this sh*tshow

 

Handmade Software, Inc. Image Alchemy v1.12

post #27 of 148

OK, that NBC report on getting hacked - not so much - lots of exaggeration. And they're making fun of Engel for ripping into the MacBook Air box like a Neanderthal, lol.

 

http://blog.erratasec.com/2014/02/that-nbc-story-100-fraudulent.html

 

http://gigaom.com/2014/02/07/nbc-blasted-for-misleading-or-worse-account-of-phone-hacking-in-sochi/

post #28 of 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfingdad View Post
 

No way ... those aren't comparable at all!!  ;)  At least curling is an objective sport.  That's the main key for me.  It's hard to get too invested in figure skating when its all up to judges.

 

Oh, and if you have a problem with curling in the Olympics, just wait, because they are making a serious push to get bowling on the card for the next (or the one after that) summer Olympics. :beer:

If you can play the sport drunk and still do fairly well, it is not an Olympic level sport!! :beer:

post #29 of 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by boogielicious View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfingdad View Post
 

No way ... those aren't comparable at all!!  ;)  At least curling is an objective sport.  That's the main key for me.  It's hard to get too invested in figure skating when its all up to judges.

 

Oh, and if you have a problem with curling in the Olympics, just wait, because they are making a serious push to get bowling on the card for the next (or the one after that) summer Olympics. :beer:

If you can play the sport drunk and still do fairly well, it is not an Olympic level sport!! :beer:

Wait you mean like Golf?

post #30 of 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by mad max View Post
 

Wait you mean like Golf?

Possibly :-)!

 

I am on the fence about Golf.  I love the sport.  And to be truly elite, you must have great athletic ability.  But I have always thought of Olympics sports needing to have the fastest, strongest, most agile athletes.  For example, Pairs Ice Skating has the best skaters who can do the best skills moves.  Ice Dancing is a level well below and frankly, I don't think it belongs.

post #31 of 148

Check out the vitriol spewing forth from the Twittersphere on NBC not live streaming the opening ceremonies.

 

https://twitter.com/search?q=nbc%20not%20streaming%20opening&src=typd

 

I have to say, BBC coverage of opening ceremonies puts American networks to shame. It's like subtracting IQ points, tuning into NBC.


Edited by nevets88 - 2/7/14 at 1:02pm
post #32 of 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by nevets88 View Post
 

Check out the vitriol spewing forth from the Twittersphere on NBC not live streaming the opening ceremonies.

 

https://twitter.com/search?q=nbc%20not%20streaming%20opening&src=typd

Don't these people have jobs????

 

Who cares if the ceremonies are shown on tape delay?  Are they worried that somebody is going to spoil it?

 

Here, I'll do it now:  There will be music and dancing and random stuff involving colors and kids, then all the athletes will walk in and we'll go "That's a country?  I've never heard of Ggsdffsdfdeuyrewisdfjksdistan before.  I'm rooting for that guy!"  and then "Man, those Swedish girls are hot!"

 

Then, wait for it ... somebody will light a big flame!!!  Oh my god, I had no idea!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  What a shocker!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

 

Maybe I'm just jaded because out here, pretty much everything is already taped delayed so we're used to it.  You guys all recognize this, right:  "Stayed tuned for 60 Minutes followed by your late local news immediately following the game .... exxxxxxcept on the west coast."

post #33 of 148
So who's stoked for the 2018 World Cup in Russia? Should go smoothly!
post #34 of 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by boogielicious View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mad max View Post
 

Wait you mean like Golf?

Possibly :-)!

 

I am on the fence about Golf.  I love the sport.  And to be truly elite, you must have great athletic ability.  But I have always thought of Olympics sports needing to have the fastest, strongest, most agile athletes.  For example, Pairs Ice Skating has the best skaters who can do the best skills moves.  Ice Dancing is a level well below and frankly, I don't think it belongs.

I agree 100% how can they take out wrestling and leave or add games like curling or bowling.  Wrestling is a basic human sport.  Humans have wrestled as long as we have been in existence.  I am not saying that I don't think world class bowlers or curlers(?) don't have incredible skill as well as natural ability, but to me that is not what the Olympics should be about.  If you where to take the top 20 video game players in the world they would have the same traits (skill and natural ability) but I think everyone would agree that video games have no place in the Olympics.

 

I am not a fan of wrestling.  I personally find curling more entertaining but I think wrestling embodies what I think the Olympics should be.  My favorite event in any sport or event in general is the Olympic 100m dash mens final.  It is a natural human event, (who can run the fastest).  It is also fairly exciting.

post #35 of 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfingdad View Post
 

Don't these people have jobs????

 

Who cares if the ceremonies are shown on tape delay?  Are they worried that somebody is going to spoil it?

 

Here, I'll do it now:  There will be music and dancing and random stuff involving colors and kids, then all the athletes will walk in and we'll go "That's a country?  I've never heard of Ggsdffsdfdeuyrewisdfjksdistan before.  I'm rooting for that guy!"  and then "Man, those Swedish girls are hot!"

 

Then, wait for it ... somebody will light a big flame!!!  Oh my god, I had no idea!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  What a shocker!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

 

Maybe I'm just jaded because out here, pretty much everything is already taped delayed so we're used to it.  You guys all recognize this, right:  "Stayed tuned for 60 Minutes followed by your late local news immediately following the game .... exxxxxxcept on the west coast."

 

I agree in general, but this year, it is right around lunch time EST and many people have mobile devices that are powerful enough with decent data speeds now. You can catch little bits here and there and while at lunch and at work and watch more when you get home. If you catch 30 minutes at work, that's 30 minutes more free time at home.

post #36 of 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by nevets88 View Post
 

 

I agree in general, but this year, it is right around lunch time EST and many people have mobile devices that are powerful enough with decent data speeds now. You can catch little bits here and there and while at lunch and at work and watch more when you get home. If you catch 30 minutes at work, that's 30 minutes more free time at home.

Fair enough.  I just don't get that though.  If it was on live and I really wanted to watch it, I'd still think "well, it comes on at 9am and I'll be at work.  I could sneak a peek here and there, but I'd rather just watch the whole things straight through, so I'm going to set me DVR and watch it ... " wait for it " ... tonight!!!"

 

But just in general ... I have much less of a problem with NBC's production of the games than a lot of people, so I recognize that not everybody feels this way. :)

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Sports
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The 19th Hole › Sports › 2014 Winter Olympics