or Connect
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The 19th Hole › Sports › 2014 Winter Olympics
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

2014 Winter Olympics - Page 3

post #37 of 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfingdad View Post
 

Fair enough.  I just don't get that though.  If it was on live and I really wanted to watch it, I'd still think "well, it comes on at 9am and I'll be at work.  I could sneak a peek here and there, but I'd rather just watch the whole things straight through, so I'm going to set me DVR and watch it ... " wait for it " ... tonight!!!"

 

But just in general ... I have much less of a problem with NBC's production of the games than a lot of people, so I recognize that not everybody feels this way. :)

 

You'll get a laugh out of this Golfingdad.

 

post #38 of 148

I was hoping for some Russian tanks and missiles in the parade with Red Army troops escorting the athletes in.

post #39 of 148

OK, for all of the fails and cynicism piled on to Sochi, that was an amazing ending and I got goose bumps. And as a classical music lover, +1.

post #40 of 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfingdad View Post
 

Don't these people have jobs????

 

Who cares if the ceremonies are shown on tape delay?  Are they worried that somebody is going to spoil it?

 

Here, I'll do it now:  There will be music and dancing and random stuff involving colors and kids, then all the athletes will walk in and we'll go "That's a country?  I've never heard of Ggsdffsdfdeuyrewisdfjksdistan before.  I'm rooting for that guy!"  and then "Man, those Swedish girls are hot!"

 

Then, wait for it ... somebody will light a big flame!!!  Oh my god, I had no idea!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  What a shocker!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

 

Maybe I'm just jaded because out here, pretty much everything is already taped delayed so we're used to it.  You guys all recognize this, right:  "Stayed tuned for 60 Minutes followed by your late local news immediately following the game .... exxxxxxcept on the west coast."


Is Vladimir Putin going to ride in on his horse without a shirt on?

post #41 of 148

No, that would be way too gay.

post #42 of 148
Having seen the BBC coverage of the opening ceremonies - live - and then NBC's, I noticed so many differences that I easily prefer the BBC's broadcast.

It was almost an hour before it actually started showing the actually ceremonies. Commercials. OK, DVR it and skip through, it's tape delayed anyway. But there's more.

US coverage omitted, skipped right past many parts of the ceremony. It's like selective censorship.

I've tolerated the NBC commentary, but the BBC's commentary was more positive, more interesting facts, more silence when you wanted to hear the music or soak in the moment.

Wish C-SPAN or PBS would cover it instead of NBC. Nothing But Commercials.
post #43 of 148

Irina Rodnina, the figure skater who lit the Olympic flame along with Vladimir Tretiak, and is currently a member of parliament for Putin's United Russia political party, sent out this doctored picture of Obama on Twitter last September. When called out about it, she deleted it from her Twitter account but was unapologetic and claimed her right of free speech, pretty ironic from somebody who represents the Russian Government.

 

post #44 of 148

Pretty pathetic.  

post #45 of 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by phan52 View Post

Irina Rodnina, the figure skater who lit the Olympic flame along with Vladimir Tretiak, and is currently a member of parliament for Putin's United Russia political party, sent out this doctored picture of Obama on Twitter last September. When called out about it, she deleted it from her Twitter account but was unapologetic and claimed her right of free speech, pretty ironic from somebody who represents the Russian Government.


Yowsers!
I don't even know where to start on that one. Perfect blend of implied homoeroticism with a healthy dash of racial slur thrown in.
Diplomacy at its best.
d2_doh.gif
post #46 of 148
For some reason I always liked watching the Biathlon when I was a kid and always was disapointed that the U.S. wasn't ever good enough to win a medal in it (and usually not even come close).

Still waiting...And still haven't ever figured out exactly why we are so totally outclassed in those events. Even with a small talent pool in that sport it seems like we should occasionally get lucky and get somebody with enough guts and skill to compete.
post #47 of 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by MS256 View Post

For some reason I always liked watching the Biathlon when I was a kid and always was disapointed that the U.S. wasn't ever good enough to win a medal in it (and usually not even come close).

Still waiting...And still haven't ever figured out exactly why we are so totally outclassed in those events. Even with a small talent pool in that sport it seems like we should occasionally get lucky and get somebody with enough guts and skill to compete.
Wife and I just watched that. Quite fascinating and loving the enthusiasm of those announcers!
post #48 of 148
I think my favorite events are snowboarding. Skiing's good too, though without Lindsey Vonn I don't recognize any of the skiers.
post #49 of 148

Anyone else think the Germans are subtly thumbing their noses at Putin's homophobia?

post #50 of 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernest Jones View Post

Anyone else think the Germans are subtly thumbing their noses at Putin's homophobia?


Not necessarily. The rainbow has religious connotations.

Your probably right tho.
post #51 of 148
NBC's site makes it hard to find the live steaming. BBC and CBC much better designed. I keep getting the coverage will resume momentarily screen. One great thing about the live stream is announcers who don't love the sound of their voice. Matt. Meredith. Bob. Ugh.
post #52 of 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14ledo81 View Post


Not necessarily. The rainbow has religious connotations.

Your probably right tho.

Nah.  It is Germany giving Putin a Giant Middle Finger.

post #53 of 148

So I watched the moguls event yesterday.  How do their knees survive doing that?  @cipher , what kind of shock absorber could I get installed in my thighs to allow me to do that?  

post #54 of 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by boogielicious View Post
 

So I watched the moguls event yesterday.  How do their knees survive doing that?  @cipher , what kind of shock absorber could I get installed in my thighs to allow me to do that?  

 

They replaced their femurs with these:

 

Shock%20absorber.jpg

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Sports
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The 19th Hole › Sports › 2014 Winter Olympics