or Connect
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Clubhouse › Golf Talk › Best app for stats?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Best app for stats?

post #1 of 28
Thread Starter 
What would you guys recommend for the best phone app for keeping stats? RIG,FIR, putts so on and so fourth.

thanks
post #2 of 28

I may be a bit biased but....

 

Give Foursum a try. Feel free to DM me with any questions and feedback that you have. We are always looking for user experience and ways to improve. I'm happy to help.

 

Google Play
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.foursum.foursum_droid

 

iTunes App Store

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/foursum-golf/id688035250?mt=8

 

Will

post #3 of 28

To me the easiest thing to do is just keep a personal scorecard each round. Even if your buddy is keeping everyone's score, get your own card and use the lines for other players for stats. My scorecard typically is laid out like the following:

 

Score

FW

GIR

Putts

Penalty Strokes

 

After each hole I record my score, put a check or "X" in the FW and GIR categories (instead of an X you could specify left or right), and then record my number of putts and penalty strokes. When the round is over I take the scorecard home and record the results in an ongoing Excel spreadsheet on my computer. I have found this to be the best way for me personally.

 

I tried some golf apps on my phone, but I got tired of having to pull my phone out after every hole. I found that I got distracted because I would also receive texts or phone calls during the round so I would start replying to those and lose focus. This way, I can leave my phone in the bag and still have all of my stats at the end of the round.

post #4 of 28
No need to record your score after every hole. Take five minutes after the round and input them to your app.

Is PGA Tour Caddie available over there?

I use it here (Ireland) and find it fantastic. As well as the standard abilility to track stats, it has every course in the country mapped into it and you can do a 2D flyover on each hole. Very handy for playing a course you're not familiar with.

Again, my phone stays in my bag during a round, I'll preview the course via the app before the round.
post #5 of 28

I use Golflogix and it works well with my Samsung Galaxy S3.  It keeps track of many different stats.

post #6 of 28
Here is a YouTube link to that app. It's free too.
post #7 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by hopefulhacker View Post

No need to record your score after every hole. Take five minutes after the round and input them to your app.

Is PGA Tour Caddie available over there?

I use it here (Ireland) and find it fantastic. As well as the standard abilility to track stats, it has every course in the country mapped into it and you can do a 2D flyover on each hole. Very handy for playing a course you're not familiar with.

Again, my phone stays in my bag during a round, I'll preview the course via the app before the round.

 

Do you remember all of your stats throughout the course of the round and then input them all at the end? I can remember my scores for each hole, but I'm not sure I could remember all of my other stats after a 4 hour round.

post #8 of 28
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddog10 View Post

To me the easiest thing to do is just keep a personal scorecard each round. Even if your buddy is keeping everyone's score, get your own card and use the lines for other players for stats. My scorecard typically is laid out like the following:



 



Score



FW



GIR



Putts



Penalty Strokes



 



After each hole I record my score, put a check or "X" in the FW and GIR categories (instead of an X you could specify left or right), and then record my number of putts and penalty strokes. When the round is over I take the scorecard home and record the results in an ongoing Excel spreadsheet on my computer. I have found this to be the best way for me personally.



 



I tried some golf apps on my phone, but I got tired of having to pull my phone out after every hole. I found that I got distracted because I would also receive texts or phone calls during the round so I would start replying to those and lose focus. This way, I can leave my phone in the bag and still have all of my stats at the end of the round.


 



I kind of do that already. I try and keep all of my score cards for a little while. but it would just be nice to have something too see when i go to a certain course how i play or what i usually do here.

thanks for the info to.

Foursum. I downloaded it. It looks great! cant wait to try it out when the snow melts here in the KY.

thanks
post #9 of 28

Excel on my computer.

I can use my scorecard to keep track of stats. Takes about 30 seconds. 

 

For me, I like to keep track if my shot is the shot I wanted to play. You can ask my dad the number of times I got pissed because I hit a terrible looking shot that worked out. Like a heel pull cut on a driver. Ends up in the fairway, FEELS and LOOKS horrible. 

 

So what I do is,

 

Starting Line

Curve

 

Did the ball start on my starting line, did it curve the way I wanted it to. This tells me a few things, one it tells me I can play shots I want to. It also tells me that my path is good. Only way to hit a push draw is to come from the inside. 

 

If I can do both of those things, they will translate to more FIR and GIR. Just because the shot will be in my shot cone and that will be played to allow me to put the ball were I want. Now if the ball over-curves, lets say a bit to much hook. That curve would not count. The ball has to land in my shot cone with the way I want it to land. 

 

Just a bit more qualitative instead of quantitative. 

post #10 of 28

I like Excel also, but mainly use my spreadsheets for tracking our Mens Game statistics.

With over a hundred members, it allows us to analyze differences of players by sorting low through high handicappers.

It can create stats for all individuals which the guys really like as well.

 

Through the season, I maintain the Handicaps of rounds only played within our group.

Track and update money leaders for our end of the year final event.

 

We have used mobile scorekeeper to accelerate score entries.

Once all scores are posted for the round, calculations of payouts are automatic and precise.

 

We spoke with a software programmer to build/designed a program for our specific needs, but the costs were very high. 

So over a long period of time, I have developed three different workbooks to interact together.

The results now enable us to track our various needs instantly.

 

Updating handicaps twice per month though the season is now preformed in a matter of only a few minutes.

 

There are workbook templates available which are designed for individual stats which track every need one can think of.

Gir's, Putts, Faiways, etc, you name it, it can be created in Excel.

 

Club Rat
 

post #11 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddog10 View Post

Do you remember all of your stats throughout the course of the round and then input them all at the end? I can remember my scores for each hole, but I'm not sure I could remember all of my other stats after a 4 hour round.

Ya, I am at the stage now where I can remember it without any hassle. At the start I took notes on the scorecard re FIR (L or R), GIR, Putts. But at this stage I can replay the round in my head pretty easily.
Scorecard acts as a verifaction method, you would be surprised how easily you can remember all the shots.

That said, I input the stats as soon as I'm in the car after the round. So I don't give myself the chance to forget.
post #12 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by hopefulhacker View Post


Ya, I am at the stage now where I can remember it without any hassle. At the start I took notes on the scorecard re FIR (L or R), GIR, Putts. But at this stage I can replay the round in my head pretty easily.
Scorecard acts as a verifaction method, you would be surprised how easily you can remember all the shots.

That said, I input the stats as soon as I'm in the car after the round. So I don't give myself the chance to forget.

 

I can remember each shot I played from that day. I never found it that difficult. I remember visuals better, so golf really sticks my mind. 

post #13 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by hopefulhacker View Post


Ya, I am at the stage now where I can remember it without any hassle. At the start I took notes on the scorecard re FIR (L or R), GIR, Putts. But at this stage I can replay the round in my head pretty easily.
Scorecard acts as a verifaction method, you would be surprised how easily you can remember all the shots.

That said, I input the stats as soon as I'm in the car after the round. So I don't give myself the chance to forget.

Impressive. I feel that for the most part I could remember everything, but I think I may struggle to remember a couple shots along the way. Also, a few local courses are just 9 holes so I think I would have a difficult time remembering those without getting crossed up on which shots were the front 9 and which were the back 9.

post #14 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddog10 View Post

Impressive. I feel that for the most part I could remember everything, but I think I may struggle to remember a couple shots along the way. Also, a few local courses are just 9 holes so I think I would have a difficult time remembering those without getting crossed up on which shots were the front 9 and which were the back 9.

It's even more impressive when you consider how many shots I take :)

90% of my golf is tournament/competition golf, this certainly helps you remember things better I feel.
And Approx 75% of my golf is played on my home course, so again, it's a bit easier as I'm so familiar with the course.

I may get stuck on a few shots on the rare occasion , but I'll look at the card and see a 6 on the Par 5 12th... And it will come back to me.

Try to recap your next round shortly afterwards, I'm sure you would be able to replay it very accurately.

Two 9's would be tricky.
post #15 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by hopefulhacker View Post


It's even more impressive when you consider how many shots I take :)

90% of my golf is tournament/competition golf, this certainly helps you remember things better I feel.
And Approx 75% of my golf is played on my home course, so again, it's a bit easier as I'm so familiar with the course.

I may get stuck on a few shots on the rare occasion , but I'll look at the card and see a 6 on the Par 5 12th... And it will come back to me.

Try to recap your next round shortly afterwards, I'm sure you would be able to replay it very accurately.

Two 9's would be tricky.

 

I'd say you're probably right, because I can always go home and discuss a round in detail in terms of which shots I hit on each hole. I've never tried to remember every single one, but I would probably be closer to being able to do it than I'm giving myself credit for.

post #16 of 28
I use the free version of Golfshot.  It's pretty good.  With the free version you input score, # putts, tee club, where your tee shot went (on the fairway, left, right, long, or short), and the number of penalty and sand strokes.  Then it automatically keeps track of FIR% and the percentage of your misses in the four miss categories, GIR%, recovery performance (though this is just the percentage of the time you make par without GIR, so it doesn't give you a great idea of how you're performing recovering from near the green where you expect to have a great chance at up and down, since it counts as a failed recovery if you put yourself in jail and have to play a recovery shot not very close to the green), putting average per hole and per hole with GIR, and  average score by par (so average score on par 3s, 4s, and 5s).  You can see these numbers by round and the average over the last X number of rounds (with default buttons for last 5 and last 20).
 
If you pay you also get stats regarding FIR and miss %s by tee club and I believe you also get to record your approach shot club.  I've never paid cause the monthly fee isn't super cheap cause you're mostly paying for the GPS service, not the increased level of stats keeping/reporting.

 

Quote:

Originally Posted by saevel25 View Post
 

Excel on my computer.

I can use my scorecard to keep track of stats. Takes about 30 seconds. 

 

For me, I like to keep track if my shot is the shot I wanted to play. You can ask my dad the number of times I got pissed because I hit a terrible looking shot that worked out. Like a heel pull cut on a driver. Ends up in the fairway, FEELS and LOOKS horrible. 

 

So what I do is,

 

Starting Line

Curve

 

Did the ball start on my starting line, did it curve the way I wanted it to. This tells me a few things, one it tells me I can play shots I want to. It also tells me that my path is good. Only way to hit a push draw is to come from the inside. 

 

If I can do both of those things, they will translate to more FIR and GIR. Just because the shot will be in my shot cone and that will be played to allow me to put the ball were I want. Now if the ball over-curves, lets say a bit to much hook. That curve would not count. The ball has to land in my shot cone with the way I want it to land. 

 

Just a bit more qualitative instead of quantitative. 

 

This is a really interesting idea!  Do you keep track by club, or just overall percentage over all shots?  I'd kinda like to have the basic stats too, just cause there are well known benchmarks you should be somewhere near for a given index.  Kind of too much of a pain in the butt to keep track of all of that though?

post #17 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdl View Post
 

 

This is a really interesting idea!  Do you keep track by club, or just overall percentage over all shots?  I'd kinda like to have the basic stats too, just cause there are well known benchmarks you should be somewhere near for a given index.  Kind of too much of a pain in the butt to keep track of all of that though?

 

Nope, just by shot type. It nice to know the confidence level of certain shots. The swing is the same for me on every shot depending on what I want to do, so it doesn't matter by club. 

post #18 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by saevel25 View Post
 

 

Nope, just by shot type. It nice to know the confidence level of certain shots. The swing is the same for me on every shot depending on what I want to do, so it doesn't matter by club. 

 

Okay, then one more question.  What is the set of shot types you consider?  I mean how detailed is it.  For example, say you played the following two shots in your round.  One you attempted a high soft draw into a hard green.  You hit a mid trajectory shot starting where you wanted it but going dead straight.  The second you hit a shot off the tee left of the fairway and to get around a tree you attempted a low hard draw (not some circus shot controlled duck hook, just a harder draw than normal with low trajectory).  You hit that a shot with a low trajectory starting off on the right line but drawing a bit harder than you wanted and you ended up just on the green on the far left.

 

How do you record those shots?  Are they both classified simply as draws?  Do you classify by trajectory as well?  Is the first one a check-check for starting line and inside the shot cone by the second one is check-X for starting line and in the shot cone?  

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Golf Talk
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Clubhouse › Golf Talk › Best app for stats?