or Connect
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Pro Shop › Clubs, Grips, Shafts, Fitting › Help with a new shaft for my hybrid
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Help with a new shaft for my hybrid

post #1 of 9
Thread Starter 

I have a Callaway 18 degree utility prototype iron. It has a dynamic gold S300 steel shaft on it and I have trouble getting it up into the air.  I used to kind of cast the club adding loft so this wasn't a problem until recently. Now Im staying more on top of the ball and I think this is causing me to hit the ball with a little shaft lean.  I was wondering if anyone think replacing the shaft would help me get the ball into the air faster and which shaft would work best.  Any help would be great.

 

 Thanks Jake

post #2 of 9

Is that the shaft you have in the other irons?

post #3 of 9
Thread Starter 
No I have ping G15's with the awt shafts.
post #4 of 9
Thread Starter 
From what I understand the S300's are a low launch shaft.
post #5 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakester23 View Post

From what I understand the S300's are a low launch shaft.

 

 

I dunno, I have them in my irons, older Titleist 735 CM's with a loft of 47* on my PW, so they aren't strong lofts, and I get most of my irons up pretty high. My 4i has a nice low-mid flight though..

post #6 of 9
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer 4 View Post
 

 

 

I dunno, I have them in my irons, older Titleist 735 CM's with a loft of 47* on my PW, so they aren't strong lofts, and I get most of my irons up pretty high. My 4i has a nice low-mid flight though..

I was wondering if Id get a high launch graphite shaft if you think it would make that much of a difference? What loft is your 4i? I don't have a problem getting my 4 up either.

post #7 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakester23 View Post
 

I was wondering if Id get a high launch graphite shaft if you think it would make that much of a difference? What loft is your 4i? I don't have a problem getting my 4 up either.

 

 

Mine is 25 degrees.

post #8 of 9

If you want to get the ball high in the air, an 18 degree driving iron is not for you. Even hitting a 4 iron is a lot easier than 18 degrees of loft, even if it's off a tee. It's a good club if you need it but most players are better off with a more forgiving hybrid. Adding loft at impact will seldom be accomplished with good technique either, so it might be worth checking out your swing first. 

 

That said, S300s are fairly low launching for stiff shafts, so almost anything in terms of graphite or lighter weight steel will probably raise your flight. I would recommend steel for that type of club such as KBS tour or Hybrid, but almost any graphite shaft in .370 that's not marketed as a tour or lower launching shaft should do a good job. But spending the money still might not make the club work, so consider carefully.

post #9 of 9
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuciusWooding View Post
 

If you want to get the ball high in the air, an 18 degree driving iron is not for you. Even hitting a 4 iron is a lot easier than 18 degrees of loft, even if it's off a tee. It's a good club if you need it but most players are better off with a more forgiving hybrid. Adding loft at impact will seldom be accomplished with good technique either, so it might be worth checking out your swing first. 

 

That said, S300s are fairly low launching for stiff shafts, so almost anything in terms of graphite or lighter weight steel will probably raise your flight. I would recommend steel for that type of club such as KBS tour or Hybrid, but almost any graphite shaft in .370 that's not marketed as a tour or lower launching shaft should do a good job. But spending the money still might not make the club work, so consider carefully.

I had a 19 degree RBZ hybrid that I couldn't hit to save my life. I don't want to hit it high I just want it to be higher than or as high as my driver.  I got the club for such a good deal I don't have a problem sticking a new shaft in it and going from there.  I really like the feel of the club and I was just hoping for some advice on a where to start on a shaft to help launch it a bit higher.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Clubs, Grips, Shafts, Fitting
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Pro Shop › Clubs, Grips, Shafts, Fitting › Help with a new shaft for my hybrid