or Connect
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Clubhouse › Tour Talk › Cheyenne Woods Stuns Golf World With Win In Australia
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Cheyenne Woods Stuns Golf World With Win In Australia - Page 2

post #19 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tailgater View Post

Very cool for her. I was hoping she would get her tour card back in December. Now, she can play with sponsor exemptions.



Did you all see the clip of her getting sprayed after the win? Who was the blonde wearing all black? Wow.

 


If it was the gal in the black Volvik visor...I think it was fellow American, Victoria Elizabeth
http://www.volvik.com/volvik-on-tour/team-volvik/victoria-elizabeth.html
post #20 of 36

getting a lot of attention for someone who can't seem to earn a tour card. fact is, if she wasn't name "woods" and white you wouldn't see one pixel spent of that tournament.

post #21 of 36
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tailgater View Post

Very cool for her. I was hoping she would get her tour card back in December. Now, she can play with sponsor exemptions.

Did you all see the clip of her getting sprayed after the win? Who was the blonde wearing all black? Wow.


The blonde wearing the black dress is Carly Booth....she is a member of the Ladies European Tour. I was lucky enough to get an interview with her during the British Open in St. Andrews last year.

post #22 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by oiler69 View Post
 

getting a lot of attention for someone who can't seem to earn a tour card. fact is, if she wasn't name "woods" and white you wouldn't see one pixel spent of that tournament.

That is the biggest bunch of bullshit I've ever read. She gets extra coverage being a "Woods" but the fact that she won a tournament playing so well isn't irrelevant. 

 

Bringing race into this was dumb as hell. Do you think these tournaments get no coverage when white people win???? The LPGA is a melting pot of cultures and ages and races; two of the biggest stars are a teenaged Korean and a teenaged white American. Or how about Inbee Park and Yani Tseng, both mid-twenties, Korean and Chinese, respectively? Acting like her being black got her press coverage. Come on. 

 

Bringing a lot of negativity to a place where it aint welcome. People celebrating someone breaking through in the toughest game in the world and you gotta come in here with a bad attitude. 

post #23 of 36

She played so good. Watched the whole tourney and this young am australian girl was the only one who was really challenging her.

post #24 of 36

facts are facts, if it disturbs you I'd suggest a therapy to deal with your demons.

post #25 of 36

Yes a great result. It was covered by pgatour.com, golfweek.com golfchannel.com and golfdigest.com but not a mention at all on the LPGA web site. An American (who is very photogenic and just happens to be related to the best golfer of this millennium) wins a respected ladies tournament in Australia and the American ladies tour provides no coverage. Why? Because it is not a sanctioned event! Sorry LPGA but that's not good enough. As your web site is the conduit for coverage of ladies golf you should take every opportunity to report on and highlight successes in the ladies game. If you don't feel that way then it is time for a change of leadership at the LPGA.  

post #26 of 36
Looks like Woods is playing about even with Laura Davies.

I didn't even know that Laura Davies was still playing golf!
post #27 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by David in FL View Post

Looks like Woods is playing about even with Laura Davies.

I didn't even know that Laura Davies was still playing golf!

Right?! 

post #28 of 36
Great recovery by Woods and a spectacular back 9!
post #29 of 36
She looks like a young Tiger.

post #30 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by KiwiWombat View Post
 

Yes a great result. It was covered by pgatour.com, golfweek.com golfchannel.com and golfdigest.com but not a mention at all on the LPGA web site. An American (who is very photogenic and just happens to be related to the best golfer of this millennium) wins a respected ladies tournament in Australia and the American ladies tour provides no coverage. Why? Because it is not a sanctioned event! Sorry LPGA but that's not good enough. As your web site is the conduit for coverage of ladies golf you should take every opportunity to report on and highlight successes in the ladies game. If you don't feel that way then it is time for a change of leadership at the LPGA.  

 

 

I think you are being a bit critical and harsh, First Cheyenne Woods is a nobody until she wins in full prime time  American & euro tourneys. I don't pretend to know the women but I bet even she wants to recognized for HER accomplishments not riding the coat tails of Tiger.

 

I like to think the lack coverage was due to it wasn't a full field at all, I mean I looked down thru the final leader board and did not see one recognizable name. She played well enough to win but against whom? Some locals and I would venture to say no one that plays over here with regularity anyway.

 

Typically events held that far away for ladies has limited viewership at all, there is no attraction for sponsors at 3:00 in the morning LIVE and the fact that there wasn't Susan Peterson, Lexi Thompson and the rest of crew playing, including some of even the "has beens" of the LPGA. speaks volumes.  Its incredibly expensive to produce coverage that far away or purchase broadcast rights so I don't see it as an issue.

post #31 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfisher View Post
 

 

 

I like to think the lack coverage was due to it wasn't a full field at all, I mean I looked down thru the final leader board and did not see one recognizable name. She played well enough to win but against whom? Some locals and I would venture to say no one that plays over here with regularity anyway.

 

 

 

She beat Yani Tseng, Jessica Korda, Carrie Webb and Caroline Hedwall (singlehandedly dominated the Solheim Cup last year).      These are top women players ... maybe not all in the current top 5, but sheesh, it isn't like it was a local club championship ... give her some credit.

post #32 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by inthehole View Post
 

 

She beat Yani Tseng, Jessica Korda, Carrie Webb and Caroline Hedwall (singlehandedly dominated the Solheim Cup last year).      These are top women players ... maybe not all in the current top 5, but sheesh, it isn't like it was a local club championship ... give her some credit.


I did give her credit, you must have missed that like I missed Tseng and webb. My point was and still is, 1) it wasn't a full field and it was in a more remote area of the world, very early in the Women's golf season to warrant any live or TV coverage.  As I recall I don't think the golf channel had live or  play by play TV coverage when tiger was playing in thailand or the Australian open years ago.

 

 

and that she is related to Tiger woods should be a foot note, NOT a reason to televise an event. IMO, that is until she proves herself more.

 

lets see how she does this weekend at the Handa against a better field

post #33 of 36
How is she riding on the coat tails of tiger? She's a 23 year old and its not like you see her on the golfchannel all the time. She won and got some hype that's what happens in all sports. Rory wins 2 majors and people were saying he was better than tiger. The media over does everything now to grab hheadlines.
post #34 of 36

I was snowed in yesterday and had the Handa on. They were showing most of her shots and she sure looks like Tiger alright. In addition, she seems to walk like him, and mutter to herself like him. Just looks to be a lot of the same body language.  Made the cut at the ISPS Handa Women's Australian Open and she's at -5, which is what she needs to do following a win. I saw an interview and she was very good in front of the camera, looked to have been coached as to how to look at the interviewer and hold her head still. She didn't have the 'umms' and just seemed polished. I doesn't hurt that she's super cute.

post #35 of 36

Good to receive your comments Spitfisher but sorry I don't agree with you, my comments were not unfair or harsh at all.

The issue is not about Cheyenne Woods it's about the lack of any coverage by the LPGA of a good women's golf event. By coverage I mean a written article. Your comments focus on TV coverage. The 4 websites mentioned by me focus mostly on men's golf but they all saw fit to have a short written article on the Queensland tournament. So how difficult would it have been for LPGA to source a similar commentary?

 

In this part of the world the exploits of Lydia Ko (a member of my golf club) has generated enormous interest and indeed we now have more television coverage of ladies golf tournaments. When she won the Swinging Skirts tournament late last year in Thailand with a smattering of LPGA players there was not even a mention in the LPGA website even to this day. That illustrates how narrowly focused the LPGA is in my view. Both of these tournaments should have had some written coverage in the LPGA web site. In my view these omissions reflect badly on the capacity of the LPGA to foster and promote women's golf.

post #36 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by KiwiWombat View Post

Good to receive your comments Spitfisher but sorry I don't agree with you, my comments were not unfair or harsh at all.
The issue is not about Cheyenne Woods it's about the lack of any coverage by the LPGA of a good women's golf event. By coverage I mean a written article. Your comments focus on TV coverage. The 4 websites mentioned by me focus mostly on men's golf but they all saw fit to have a short written article on the Queensland tournament. So how difficult would it have been for LPGA to source a similar commentary?

In this part of the world the exploits of Lydia Ko (a member of my golf club) has generated enormous interest and indeed we now have more television coverage of ladies golf tournaments. When she won the Swinging Skirts tournament late last year in Thailand with a smattering of LPGA players there was not even a mention in the LPGA website even to this day. That illustrates how narrowly focused the LPGA is in my view. Both of these tournaments should have had some written coverage in the LPGA web site. In my view these omissions reflect badly on the capacity of the LPGA to foster and promote women's golf.

You are right I did focus on the TV/ Video coverage. Although I will point out that 3 out of the 4 of those examples you listed though are what I would call News or media outlets. The PGA and arguably the LPGA are professional golf associations and not 100% committed to breaking news. But your point and my misinterpretation of what you wrote is acknowledged. The LPGA could very well have a policy that limits news of conflicting tours or tournements. Unlike the men's tour I doubt the LPGA could stand on its own feet with out huge sponsors , I don't think they make a dime.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Tour Talk
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Clubhouse › Tour Talk › Cheyenne Woods Stuns Golf World With Win In Australia