or Connect
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Pro Shop › Clubs, Grips, Shafts, Fitting › Thoughts on Rocketbladez Tour irons
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Thoughts on Rocketbladez Tour irons

post #1 of 10
Thread Starter 
I am looking to upgrade my Ping i3 blades. I have found a used set of Rocketbladez tour 4-pw for $225. They have the kbs c taper x stiff shaft. I was wondering if anyone here plays these irons with this set up.
post #2 of 10
post #3 of 10
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamo View Post

I did a review of them a year ago: http://thesandtrap.com/b/clubs/taylormade_rocketbladez_tour_irons_review

Thanks, I didn't think to search the site for rocketbladez irons. Excellent review. I'm hoping I can try them at an outdoor range before I purchase.
post #4 of 10
I play them with KBS Reg. You will like them. They arent center mass style but that toe weight helps the kindness factor. I see the newer design tightening the mass behind the ball a bit more.
post #5 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by big stoke View Post

I am looking to upgrade my Ping i3 blades. I have found a used set of Rocketbladez tour 4-pw for $225. They have the kbs c taper x stiff shaft. I was wondering if anyone here plays these irons with this set up.

 

C-Taper is a really hard shaft.  It has a dull, heavy feel.  At 130 grams and FCM rating of 7.2, the X-flex C-Taper is basically the heaviest, stiffest shaft on the market.

 

I play the C-Taper S+, which is 125 grams and 6.7 FCM.  I hit the ball pretty far and high with my irons (5i distance average carry is 195-200).  The C-Taper S+ is a bit on the stiff side for me--it feels very wooden compared to the KBS Tour and TTDGs I had played for years before.  However, I made that switch intentionally for a couple reasons.  For one, I tend to hit the ball too high and spin it too much, causing inconsistent distance and accuracy, particularly in wind.  Second, I tend to get really quick in the transition, and the heavier shaft keeps me somewhat under control.

 

IMO the C-Taper is not for most golfers, and the C-Taper X-flex is only for the fastest and strongest subset of those golfers.  I would definitely hit that shaft before I buy it.

post #6 of 10
Thread Starter 
Thanks for the info. My pings have cushin z-z65 shafts in them. I am curious to see how the c taper x stiff feels/performs in comparison.
post #7 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by k-troop View Post


IMO the C-Taper is not for most golfers, and the C-Taper X-flex is only for the fastest and strongest subset of those golfers.  I would definitely hit that shaft before I buy it.

Agreed. The RocketBladez I tested (and still have and use from time to time) came with KBS Tours. I'm no professional, but I certainly couldn't use the C-Tapers in x-flex.
post #8 of 10

I have the Rocketbladez Tours with KBS Tour X-Stiff shafts and I love them. I was struggling at the outdoor range the other day but it was only around 20 degrees out, effin freezing!! At the indoor range in a warm climate, when struck pure, these irons feel amazing. I was really worried about the shafts because my swing speed with my irons is only 80mph but I felt no real difference between the KBS and my old stock stiff shafts on my RACS. I'm hitting the ball about the same trajectory, maybe a little lower (normally a high ball hitter) and about 5 -8 yards further on each club. So, far, love the clubs. The real test will be when I finally get out on a course in the summer.

post #9 of 10
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by k-troop View Post

C-Taper is a really hard shaft.  It has a dull, heavy feel.  At 130 grams and FCM rating of 7.2, the X-flex C-Taper is basically the heaviest, stiffest shaft on the market.

I play the C-Taper S+, which is 125 grams and 6.7 FCM.  I hit the ball pretty far and high with my irons (5i distance average carry is 195-200).  The C-Taper S+ is a bit on the stiff side for me--it feels very wooden compared to the KBS Tour and TTDGs I had played for years before.  However, I made that switch intentionally for a couple reasons.  For one, I tend to hit the ball too high and spin it too much, causing inconsistent distance and accuracy, particularly in wind.  Second, I tend to get really quick in the transition, and the heavier shaft keeps me somewhat under control.

IMO the C-Taper is not for most golfers, and the C-Taper X-flex is only for the fastest and strongest subset of those golfers.  I would definitely hit that shaft before I buy it.

Finally got to hit these outside and your analysis is spot on. These shafts are not for me. I could not get the ball in the air with this shaft. Needless to say I did not purchase. Thanks for the help.
post #10 of 10
Switched to these 2 weeks ago and love them! Mine have the KBS Tour S shafts. Have been playing Mizuno MP-60's for 3 years now and needed something a little more forgiving, yet playable.

Long irons are a blast thanks to the speed pocket. Slightly miss hit 5 iron still manages to make the putting surface.

I do need a bit of time to figure out the distance gaps in the PW & 9 as they tend to go shorter than I expected after hitting the long irons. You can not go wrong with these.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Clubs, Grips, Shafts, Fitting
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Pro Shop › Clubs, Grips, Shafts, Fitting › Thoughts on Rocketbladez Tour irons