or Connect
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Practice Range › Instruction and Playing Tips › Greatest Playing Tips
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Greatest Playing Tips - Page 3

post #37 of 64
My best playing tip was: Start playing regularly and get into a routine before you get married and have kids :) Because it's hard enough to continue but almost impossible to start at that start ;) I took the advice and just about got in in the nick of time!!!!
post #38 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by saevel25 View Post

Well I always consider OB left or right trouble as well. if you know a miss is right or a straight dead pull left. Then take a shorter club. I am not saying they have to for 2, what I am saying is advance it as far as possible with in reason. The myth that everyone thinks is, "Lay up to your favorite yardage". When in actuality that you have a better shot at getting the ball closer to the pin the closer you are to the green. There is no magical spike in percentage for hitting a full 9 iron compared to hitting a pitch shot. Not even on the pro level when they have their irons dialed in for distance. 


I don't agree with the hit it as close as you can. Why not always try to lay up to the same yardage. I always try to go for 100 cause that's a perfect sw for me and that has really helped my game. I would personally rather have a 100 yard shot then a 20 yard pitch for the rough where I can't control the spin
post #39 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by MULVn8tor View Post

I don't agree with the hit it as close as you can. Why not always try to lay up to the same yardage. I always try to go for 100 cause that's a perfect sw for me and that has really helped my game. I would personally rather have a 100 yard shot then a 20 yard pitch for the rough where I can't control the spin

Because you're wasting shots. No way you're better from 100 yards than 20 even if it's 100 fairway and 20 rough.

Flat out no way unless you literally have a BAD case of chip yips. None.
post #40 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by iacas View Post


Because you're wasting shots. No way you're better from 100 yards than 20 even if it's 100 fairway and 20 rough.

Flat out no way unless you literally have a BAD case of chip yips. None.

 

What % of the time does a 10 hcp even hit the green from 100 yds?  I could be wrong, but I'll bet it's not much over 50%.....maybe less.

post #41 of 64

There' s plenty of times I'd rather lay back to say a full or 3/4 lob wedge(60-70 yds) than bust it up near the green and get a bad lie in the rough and have to pitch over a bunker or to a tight pin from 20 or 30-40 yards. It depends on how high the rough is and how firm and fast the greens are.

post #42 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by RH31 View Post

There' s plenty of times I'd rather lay back to say a full or 3/4 lob wedge(60-70 yds) than bust it up near the green and get a bad lie in the rough and have to pitch over a bunker or to a tight pin from 20 or 30-40 yards. It depends on how high the rough is and how firm and fast the greens are.
My thoughts exactly. I play on fast greens (as most of you would too) and bad lie there is no way I'm holding the green 100 yards I hit the green 90% of the time ( not always that close)
post #43 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by MULVn8tor View Post

My thoughts exactly. I play on fast greens (as most of you would too) and bad lie there is no way I'm holding the green 100 yards I hit the green 90% of the time ( not always that close)

Congratulations on being a top performer on the PGA tour from 100 yards.
post #44 of 64
d2_doh.gif
post #45 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by David in FL View Post

Congratulations on being a top performer on the PGA tour from 100 yards.
Maybe he aims for the center of the green a2_wink.gif
post #46 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by David in FL View Post

Congratulations on being a top performer on the PGA tour from 100 yards.
Thanks I'm expecting my award in the mail soon. Also going to give some tips to tiger later
post #47 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by David in FL View Post


Congratulations on being a top performer on the PGA tour from 100 yards.


We have a little island green on a par 4 that usually leaves an 80 to 100 yard approach shot. In our groups I would guess an average of 35% to 50% that hit that green depending on the wind.

 

There are a few guys that would have a very high percentage but they are very, very good ball strikers.

 

The once in a while type golfers are usually going to hit 3 or 4 balls before they get one on the green.

post #48 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by MULVn8tor View Post

Thanks I'm expecting my award in the mail soon. Also going to give some tips to tiger later

No need, Tiger was at 90.5% last year.

Phil would probably appreciate some help though, he was only 84% hitting the green from 75-100 yds....
post #49 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by David in FL View Post


No need, Tiger was at 90.5% last year.

Phil would probably appreciate some help though, he was only 84% hitting the green from 75-100 yds....

 

 

TPC sawgrass 17th green has a success rate of 89% over the past 10  years. That pays anywhere from 120-140 yards. Its listed as 137 yards. 

post #50 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by saevel25 View Post
 

 

 

TPC sawgrass 17th green has a success rate of 89% over the past 10  years. That pays anywhere from 120-140 yards. Its listed as 137 yards. 

 

I'm not sure how much difference it makes to those guys having a ball on a tee on a level tee box compared to shots from the fairway...But it would make a big difference for most golfers.

post #51 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by saevel25 View Post


TPC sawgrass 17th green has a success rate of 89% over the past 10  years. That pays anywhere from 120-140 yards. Its listed as 137 yards. 

It's a HUGE green. Even I hit it 2 out of 3 times I played it. c5_banana.gif

Here're the 2013 PGA tour stats....

http://www.pgatour.com/stats/stat.078.html#2013
post #52 of 64

The only reason so many balls go in the water is because they are trying to put it in a 10 foot circle around the pin, and on Sunday 3 of those feet are in the water. 

 

I never liked all the attention paid to this hole. The green is a circle. It's about 150 yards at most. The widest part of the circle is the middle. Pick a club that gives you 15-20 yards more carry than you need to reach the front edge and you'll certainly be dry. The pros know this, and yet they always manage to be idiots; not only will many of them go for a spot less than 12 feet from disaster, they will almost all spin the ball backwards uncontrollably which inevitably causes their 5. Last time I checked, spinning the ball backwards will only make it go towards the water; it will never stop your ball from going off the green but will almost always cause it. If they added 3 feet of rough to the edges I could understand playing it with spin, but for the love of God they put railroad ties everywhere. 

 

My dad thinks this is the hardest hole in golf. I told him it was easy and I could virtually guarantee a 4 or better and he didn't believe me. 

post #53 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by David in FL View Post


It's a HUGE green. Even I hit it 2 out of 3 times I played it. c5_banana.gif

Here're the 2013 PGA tour stats....

http://www.pgatour.com/stats/stat.078.html#2013

 

I banked it off the side of the bunker and it bounced into the water :cry:

 

Of course I had Sunday pin placement and 20 mph winds!!!! 

 

the flag stick was actually bending sideways a big :-D

post #54 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by saevel25 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by David in FL View Post

It's a HUGE green. Even I hit it 2 out of 3 times I played it. c5_banana.gif


Here're the 2013 PGA tour stats....

http://www.pgatour.com/stats/stat.078.html#2013

I banked it off the side of the bunker and it bounced into the water d1_bigcry.gif

Of course I had Sunday pin placement and 20 mph winds!!!! 

the flag stick was actually bending sideways a big a3_biggrin.gif

I hit it pretty much every time I play it...........on Tiger Woods golf.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Instruction and Playing Tips
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Practice Range › Instruction and Playing Tips › Greatest Playing Tips