or Connect
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The 19th Hole › The Grill Room › Weather in the South
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Weather in the South

post #1 of 14
Thread Starter 

Anyone here in GA,SC or NC? 

 

Im in Raleigh and we got absolutely pummeled today and still experiencing some very dangerous weather.

 

 Snow came down hard starting early afternoon and now its sleeting / icy rain. The roads are an absolute disaster. My drive home from work looked like a scene out of an apocalyptical movie...hundreds of cars crashed, pulled over on side of road, a lot of people walking (abandoning their vehicle, figuring its safer that way). I honestly have not been as scared as I was driving home today than I have been since I was kid. No clue how I made it home safely either, there was about 3 or 4 separate occasions where a car driving near me started to spin out or lose control and came close to hitting me. 

 

And think...I recently moved here from Miami lol!

 

Anyone else going through this?

post #2 of 14
Glad to hear you're OK, sucks about the weather.

Not from the south but that kind of stuff is part for the course up here in NY.
post #3 of 14
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by colin007 View Post

Glad to hear you're OK, sucks about the weather.

Not from the south but that kind of stuff is part for the course up here in NY.

Yeah, guess I cant complain as I know you guys get it more often and worse. Just something we are not prepared for here!

post #4 of 14
Thread Starter 

This was down the street from my house earlier today...

 

post #5 of 14
Holy smokes that's a great pic. Here in northern VA, snow started a couple hours ago and might continue for the next 24 according to my weather app. We will see.
post #6 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by GolfGuy123 View Post
 

Anyone here in GA,SC or NC? 

 

Im in Raleigh and we got absolutely pummeled today and still experiencing some very dangerous weather.

 

 Snow came down hard starting early afternoon and now its sleeting / icy rain. The roads are an absolute disaster. My drive home from work looked like a scene out of an apocalyptical movie...hundreds of cars crashed, pulled over on side of road, a lot of people walking (abandoning their vehicle, figuring its safer that way). I honestly have not been as scared as I was driving home today than I have been since I was kid. No clue how I made it home safely either, there was about 3 or 4 separate occasions where a car driving near me started to spin out or lose control and came close to hitting me. 

 

And think...I recently moved here from Miami lol!

 

Anyone else going through this?


Yeah I just mostly stayed in the house today. Yesterday was just 4 inches of snow so not too bad to drive on but today we got ice on top of the snow and they don't clear roads out here where I live on the mountain. 

 

 

Tonight has been a few more inches of snow again. Most people around us don't have electricity but ours was only out a couple of hours this afternoon (nice to have somebody that works for the electric coop living across the road. :-D 

post #7 of 14
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by MS256 View Post
 


Yeah I just mostly stayed in the house today. Yesterday was just 4 inches of snow so not too bad to drive on but today we got ice on top of the snow and they don't clear roads out here where I live on the mountain. 

 

 

Tonight has been a few more inches of snow again. Most people around us don't have electricity but ours was only out a couple of hours this afternoon (nice to have somebody that works for the electric coop living across the road. :-D 

 

I cant imagine living in the mountains during snow / ice storms, that would really freak me out...pretty manly of you!! Lol, im a wimp in that regard though ;) The difference of lifestyle between growing up in south fl and now living in the carolinas has been eye opening. Although at the end of the day both have their pros and cons.

post #8 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by GolfGuy123 View Post
 

 

I cant imagine living in the mountains during snow / ice storms, that would really freak me out...pretty manly of you!! Lol, im a wimp in that regard though ;) The difference of lifestyle between growing up in south fl and now living in the carolinas has been eye opening. Although at the end of the day both have their pros and cons.


I know the feeling. I lived at Key West when I was a kid and when I moved here I went from fishing in the flats and skin diving the reef, to hunting and fishing in the canyon. Both fun, just different.

post #9 of 14
I'm actually coming to the NC area for a golf trip in April. I'm from Wisconsin so hopefully I'll be getting away from that weather!
post #10 of 14
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by 99prblms View Post

I'm actually coming to the NC area for a golf trip in April. I'm from Wisconsin so hopefully I'll be getting away from that weather!
.

Lol yeah - in a day or two there will be no sign this system ever existed and hit our area. Heck, we are already expecting some days in the 70s next week.

April is absolutely gorgeous here. Have fun!
post #11 of 14

Looks like another day of hanging around walking distance of the house.

post #12 of 14
I live in Winston-Salem, NC and it is still snowing. We has sleet last night, and it made the snow crusty and very heavy. A very unusual winter! The last several winters had been mild, so we were due for some bad weather. I've played less this winter than I have for a long time.
post #13 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by GolfGuy123 View Post

This was down the street from my house earlier today...



That is a phenomenal picture. Looks like a movie set.
post #14 of 14
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by MS256 View Post
 

Looks like another day of hanging around walking distance of the house.

 

Yowza!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by caniac6 View Post

I live in Winston-Salem, NC and it is still snowing. We has sleet last night, and it made the snow crusty and very heavy. A very unusual winter! The last several winters had been mild, so we were due for some bad weather. I've played less this winter than I have for a long time.

Be safe! The irony is, I played a lot this winter! (my cut off when I moved here last winter was 55 degrees but this winter I changed my cut off to 45 degrees and it has allowed me to get 3-4 more rounds in thus far when compared to last year). Hoping all this snow / ice is melted by Monday so I can play (calling for low 50s and mostly sunny). I have the day off for Presidents Day so would be great to get out there...

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by colin007 View Post


That is a phenomenal picture. Looks like a movie set.

Right!? Aside from the burning car...it was similar scenery for my entire 13 mile drive home from work yesterday. 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: The Grill Room
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The 19th Hole › The Grill Room › Weather in the South