or Connect
TheSandTrap.com › Groups › SoCal Golfers › Discussions › TST SoCal Spring 2014 Outing - May 4, 2014 @ Black Gold Golf Club (Yorba Linda, CA)

TST SoCal Spring 2014 Outing - May 4, 2014 @ Black Gold Golf Club (Yorba Linda, CA) - Page 2

Poll Results: What course should we hold this outing at?

Poll expired: Mar 16, 2014  
  • 14% (2)
    Red Hawk (Temecula)
  • 35% (5)
    Temecula Creek Inn (Temecula)
  • 50% (7)
    Black Gold (Yorba Linda)
  • 0% (0)
    Other (Please specify in post)
14 Total Votes  
post #19 of 257
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jefkve View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by tristanhilton85 View Post
Any other suggestions?

I know @mdl mentioned some Temecula courses in the other thread.

 

Just to be clear: I'm 100% for Black Gold!


Ditto, here.

post #20 of 257

At this point I can't be totally sure I'll be able to make it anyway.  So I won't push super hard for dates or places.  But one question I'll throw out there before we finalize a spot is where are people coming from?  I know Mike's in SD, Jeff's in Tustin, and I think Pakoh's in south OC somewhere nearish Monarch Beach.  Tristan's in the Indio area.  My thinking here is, I'd be much more comfortable leaving my 8 months pregnant wife all day at her parents' place when I'm only ~30 minutes away, rather than by herself in Topanga when I'm 1.5 hours away.  I'm not sure I'd even get a hall pass for that second option.

 

So, do we have enough guys in south OC, SD, Riverside, southeast LA county, or San Bernardino that something in north SD county or along the 15 in Riverside or SD would give about the same distribution of drive times?  Arrowood is just south of Pendleton in east Oceanside.  Or has anyone played Redhawk?  That was the other Temecula course I mentioned that I haven't played (the other was Cross Creek, strongly nixed by both Erik and Drew).

 

Anyway, like I said, if this isn't the best idea obviously I can just sit this one out if needs be, but I thought I'd throw it out there now before plans are finalized.

 

April 27 would be my top choice, but May 4 is probably not too bad.

post #21 of 257
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdl View Post
 

At this point I can't be totally sure I'll be able to make it anyway.  So I won't push super hard for dates or places.  But one question I'll throw out there before we finalize a spot is where are people coming from?  I know Mike's in SD, Jeff's in Tustin, and I think Pakoh's in south OC somewhere nearish Monarch Beach.  Tristan's in the Indio area.  My thinking here is, I'd be much more comfortable leaving my 8 months pregnant wife all day at her parents' place when I'm only ~30 minutes away, rather than by herself in Topanga when I'm 1.5 hours away.  I'm not sure I'd even get a hall pass for that second option.

 

So, do we have enough guys in south OC, SD, Riverside, southeast LA county, or San Bernardino that something in north SD county or along the 15 in Riverside or SD would give about the same distribution of drive times?  Arrowood is just south of Pendleton in east Oceanside.  Or has anyone played Redhawk?  That was the other Temecula course I mentioned that I haven't played (the other was Cross Creek, strongly nixed by both Erik and Drew).

 

Anyway, like I said, if this isn't the best idea obviously I can just sit this one out if needs be, but I thought I'd throw it out there now before plans are finalized.

 

April 27 would be my top choice, but May 4 is probably not too bad.

 

Aha, I see your "logic". Yes, I would be up for this as well.

 

The San Diego route will be an option, but only if we have a later tee time like the last outing, say 11:30am for the first group? Then my son and I can come out in the morning and go back the same day.

 

Since we are potentially thinking of San Diego, how about Torrey Pines North? :roll:

The price is about half that of the South course, and has some pretty nice views.

post #22 of 257
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdl View Post
 

At this point I can't be totally sure I'll be able to make it anyway.  So I won't push super hard for dates or places.  But one question I'll throw out there before we finalize a spot is where are people coming from?  I know Mike's in SD, Jeff's in Tustin, and I think Pakoh's in south OC somewhere nearish Monarch Beach.  Tristan's in the Indio area.  My thinking here is, I'd be much more comfortable leaving my 8 months pregnant wife all day at her parents' place when I'm only ~30 minutes away, rather than by herself in Topanga when I'm 1.5 hours away.  I'm not sure I'd even get a hall pass for that second option.

 

So, do we have enough guys in south OC, SD, Riverside, southeast LA county, or San Bernardino that something in north SD county or along the 15 in Riverside or SD would give about the same distribution of drive times?  Arrowood is just south of Pendleton in east Oceanside.  Or has anyone played Redhawk?  That was the other Temecula course I mentioned that I haven't played (the other was Cross Creek, strongly nixed by both Erik and Drew).

 

Anyway, like I said, if this isn't the best idea obviously I can just sit this one out if needs be, but I thought I'd throw it out there now before plans are finalized.

 

April 27 would be my top choice, but May 4 is probably not too bad.

There are a group of us in South OC (myself, Beach, Pak, Swine, Jefke), Colins in Long Beach I think, Hacker and Lihu or Whittier and Pasadena, respectively.  And Turtle and K troop are both out towards the desert.

 

I think that if we just put pushpins in a map and used calipers to pinpoint the most central location, it would end up being around Pomona.  .....  Actually, that is exactly the spot.  It's 1:15 for you, 1:14 for Tristan, 1:25 for Mike, and 1:05 for Turtle.  (Us OC/south bay guys have the shortest trip at 45 min ;))  And if we did Pomona ... I don't really know what course to recommend except Industry Hills (technically City of Industry).  I have a friend who's a member at Glendora CC ... but he's not really a golfer, and only a "social member."

 

But since you're willing to hang with the in-laws, I think Fallbrook/Temecula is also a solid idea, and we should consider a couple of courses over there as well.

post #23 of 257
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfingdad View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdl View Post
 

At this point I can't be totally sure I'll be able to make it anyway.  So I won't push super hard for dates or places.  But one question I'll throw out there before we finalize a spot is where are people coming from?  I know Mike's in SD, Jeff's in Tustin, and I think Pakoh's in south OC somewhere nearish Monarch Beach.  Tristan's in the Indio area.  My thinking here is, I'd be much more comfortable leaving my 8 months pregnant wife all day at her parents' place when I'm only ~30 minutes away, rather than by herself in Topanga when I'm 1.5 hours away.  I'm not sure I'd even get a hall pass for that second option.

 

So, do we have enough guys in south OC, SD, Riverside, southeast LA county, or San Bernardino that something in north SD county or along the 15 in Riverside or SD would give about the same distribution of drive times?  Arrowood is just south of Pendleton in east Oceanside.  Or has anyone played Redhawk?  That was the other Temecula course I mentioned that I haven't played (the other was Cross Creek, strongly nixed by both Erik and Drew).

 

Anyway, like I said, if this isn't the best idea obviously I can just sit this one out if needs be, but I thought I'd throw it out there now before plans are finalized.

 

April 27 would be my top choice, but May 4 is probably not too bad.

There are a group of us in South OC (myself, Beach, Pak, Swine, Jefke), Colins in Long Beach I think, Hacker and Lihu or Whittier and Pasadena, respectively.  And Turtle and K troop are both out towards the desert.

 

I think that if we just put pushpins in a map and used calipers to pinpoint the most central location, it would end up being around Pomona.  .....  Actually, that is exactly the spot.  It's 1:15 for you, 1:14 for Tristan, 1:25 for Mike, and 1:05 for Turtle.  (Us OC/south bay guys have the shortest trip at 45 min ;))  And if we did Pomona ... I don't really know what course to recommend except Industry Hills (technically City of Industry).  I have a friend who's a member at Glendora CC ... but he's not really a golfer, and only a "social member."

 

But since you're willing to hang with the in-laws, I think Fallbrook/Temecula is also a solid idea, and we should consider a couple of courses over there as well.

 

Nice course, tight fairways.

 

Hey, what about Torrey Pines North?

 

Edit: Temecula Creek Inn

post #24 of 257

Cool.  I appreciate the consideration everyone.  Like I said, no big deal if Black Golf or somewhere else in the inland empire is the call, but I'm glad Temecula's in the mix.

 

So I take it no one's played Redhawk?

post #25 of 257
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdl View Post
 

Cool.  I appreciate the consideration everyone.  Like I said, no big deal if Black Golf or somewhere else in the inland empire is the call, but I'm glad Temecula's in the mix.

 

So I take it no one's played Redhawk?

 

RedHawk looks really nice, I like the bridge.

 

Image from golfcalifornia.com

 

 

Now I know why @mvmac lives in SD. :-) 

post #26 of 257
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdl View Post
 

So I take it no one's played Redhawk?

I played it last month. It was pretty fun, only downside was that the I played early and the fairways were frosty/crispy. Other than that it was a fun track. REALLY want another shot at 17 :mad:

post #27 of 257

We are open to what ever the area is as we seem to be in the best position when it comes to driving distance. (Industry is 10 to 15 min away).

But I like the look of RedHawk so mdl with what you have going on I would vote that area/course if that would work out?

 

I do also suggest that after this outing we should look at the areas we all live in and try to move each outing to a course that everyone gets a chance to have an easy drive.

post #28 of 257
Quote:
Originally Posted by hacker101 View Post
 

I do also suggest that after this outing we should look at the areas we all live in and try to move each outing to a course that everyone gets a chance to have an easy drive.

Agreed, just need to bear in mind seasons: I for one am not playing Palm Springs in July :tumble:. Winter and Spring should be OK for desert outings, but Summer and Fall should likely be SD/Coastal courses....

post #29 of 257

Okay.  Thought I'd double check the calendar with my wife before this gets too far into the planning process accommodating me.  She just got back to me and just today signed us up for a couple one day classes we've been talking about.  She booked ones on Apr 26 and May 3 :-P  I won't be able to make it to Fallbrook those weekends.

 

So ignore my proposal.  Depending on where you guys end up choosing and my situation, I might be able to be a late add, but just proceed assuming I'm not coming.  Looks like the new baby golf-less stretch might start a little earlier than I was hoping...

post #30 of 257

But again, I appreciate everyone's consideration!

post #31 of 257

I've only heard good things about Redhawk from other players on the GCAM TOUR here in Palm Springs. I would be up for that one on May 4th.

post #32 of 257
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bechambo View Post

I've only heard good things about Redhawk from other players on the GCAM TOUR here in Palm Springs. I would be up for that one on May 4th.
Hey, I didn't know you played on the am tour too!? Obviously were in different flights but do you ever play in any tourneys outside of Palm Springs? Like SD or LA?
post #33 of 257
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfingdad View Post


Hey, I didn't know you played on the am tour too!? Obviously were in different flights but do you ever play in any tourneys outside of Palm Springs? Like SD or LA?

Sometimes. I played in the Mission Viejo one. Tristan told me you played in that one as well. I'm going to be playing in the Tukwet Legends Preview March 2nd.

post #34 of 257

@Bechambo, good to see you finally posting... keep it up.

 

Red Hawk looks like a pretty good choice as well.

 

Here's their website for those who want to check it out:

 

http://www.redhawkgolfcourse.com/

post #35 of 257
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bechambo View Post
 

Sometimes. I played in the Mission Viejo one. Tristan told me you played in that one as well. I'm going to be playing in the Tukwet Legends Preview March 2nd.

Sweet!  Maybe I'll catch you at one of these sometime.  My next one is March 16th at Tijeras Creek.  No other plans yet.

post #36 of 257

So, are we settled on Quatro de Mayo?

  Return Home
  Back to Forum: SoCal Golfers
TheSandTrap.com › Groups › SoCal Golfers › Discussions › TST SoCal Spring 2014 Outing - May 4, 2014 @ Black Gold Golf Club (Yorba Linda, CA)