or Connect
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Practice Range › Member Swings › My Swing (Valleygolfer)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

My Swing (Valleygolfer) - Page 4

post #55 of 78
Thread Starter 
Worked on distance tonight and found where I was lacking, hip shift was missing. Fired off a couple of long drives and solid wedge distance.

I may hit the range Wednesday and try to video some.
post #56 of 78
Thread Starter 
Regressed a bit with my game. Went to the range and didn't hit very well. Tried to video my swing but the phone app would not catch it. If anyone has tips on the Samsung golf swing video app, please chime in.
post #57 of 78
Thread Starter 
I worked on my driver at the range during my last session and decided to strengthen my grip to stop the pushes. It did change the push to a low flying draw but it felt awkward and appeared to lack power. I am not sure why the driver has to be so difficult or different than my normal swing.
post #58 of 78
Thread Starter 

WORST RANGE SESSION EVER!

 

Driver was horrible. I sky marked nearly every drive. Plus they were heavy pushes and some major slices mixed in. When I tried to correct it, I would hit low duck hooks. I had only a handful of decent drives. I tried to video the swing and only got the software to work once. I set the camera to record for a while and hit some shots. I'll see if it is worth posting.

 

I did hit quite a few great 3 iron shots and 3 wood  shots so go figure. I give up.

post #59 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valleygolfer View Post
 

WORST RANGE SESSION EVER!

 

Driver was horrible. I sky marked nearly every drive. Plus they were heavy pushes and some major slices mixed in. When I tried to correct it, I would hit low duck hooks. I had only a handful of decent drives. I tried to video the swing and only got the software to work once. I set the camera to record for a while and hit some shots. I'll see if it is worth posting.

 

I did hit quite a few great 3 iron shots and 3 wood  shots so go figure. I give up.

To me is sounds like you tried to correct the pushes and slices by rolling your hands closed. This may have been the cause of the hooks. You were swinging the same way with more of a closed club face. Highly recommend taking a look at how far in to out the last portion of your swing is. 

Very interested to see a video. 

post #60 of 78
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sacman View Post
 

To me is sounds like you tried to correct the pushes and slices by rolling your hands closed. This may have been the cause of the hooks. You were swinging the same way with more of a closed club face. Highly recommend taking a look at how far in to out the last portion of your swing is. 

Very interested to see a video. 

Well I golfed yesterday and I had an hour drive to the course and I made a game time decision to really focus on keeping my head still. Amazingly enough there was no sky marked drives and I actually kept them with the stratosphere. I played marginally but not horribly.

 

This video explained the golf mode on my phone lol....

 

post #61 of 78
Thread Starter 
Here are some videos of the other day. Horrible ball striking. Second video was the only good shot. Lots bad in these swings.







Video #2 is a solid drive but all others were probably sky markers
post #62 of 78

The first thing that jumps out at me is the lack of extension in your back swing. You are setting your wrists really early in the back swing. I have a feeling that if you had a video of the swing from the DTL view it would show a very steep back swing.

Think of someone standing behind you and your trying to reach out and touch that person with the end of the club. 

post #63 of 78
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sacman View Post

The first thing that jumps out at me is the lack of extension in your back swing. You are setting your wrists really early in the back swing. I have a feeling that if you had a video of the swing from the DTL view it would show a very steep back swing.
Think of someone standing behind you and your trying to reach out and touch that person with the end of the club. 

I agree, and noticed it after watching. I had a few issues with the hip turn yesterday that I changed to straighten out the driver.
post #64 of 78

I also noticed how much your right hand grip is like a baseball grip. It seems to be really deep into your palm. Try getting the club more into your fingers. This could help with the quality of contact. Take a look at a pros grip with the right hand then compare it to yours. The position of your right hand and thumb can help to dictate whether you draw or fade the ball. 

 

Focus on a couple of small things and like your grip and back swing. These should start to improve things so you can work on things like hip turn and so on. 

post #65 of 78
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sacman View Post

I also noticed how much your right hand grip is like a baseball grip. It seems to be really deep into your palm. Try getting the club more into your fingers. This could help with the quality of contact. Take a look at a pros grip with the right hand then compare it to yours. The position of your right hand and thumb can help to dictate whether you draw or fade the ball. 

Focus on a couple of small things and like your grip and back swing. These should start to improve things so you can work on things like hip turn and so on. 
It's actually along the base of my fingers. I need to reset. I played a tight course today that was a little claustrophobic and tensed up my swing a bit. I only hit driver maybe 6 times and only had one good drive. It is a little tiring since I was driving the ball well early in the season.
post #66 of 78
Thread Starter 
I played/practiced today and found another issue in my swing which is the main cause of getting on my right foot. I have been on the balls of my feet and just way off balance. A more athletic stance made a helluva change in my game.
post #67 of 78
Thread Starter 

Played a great track yesterday but my ball striking is hitting rock bottom.... My normal go to 60* has failed me at 70-90 yards repeatedly due to excessive club flipping as well as poor contact in general. I hit only two really well struck irons, a PW which was on a slightly down hill lie that flew an extra 30 yards leaving me a putt at that distance and a 6 iron to a par 3 that over shot the green because of wind. Most everything else was off just enough to be short 15 yards...

 

These were the best greens I have played on this year and weren't as fast as normal according to the guys I was paired up with, and they were pretty damn fast. Then again I have played on sandy greens all summer.

post #68 of 78
Thread Starter 

Finally got my distance and ball striking back. I just needed to be more deliberate with my swing. IE swing harder. I was hitting the ball solid and working it well. Much happier with the swing.

post #69 of 78
Thread Starter 

Today's range session
post #70 of 78

Videos without a bunch of commentary (or any) aren't particularly helpful. What are you working on?

 

I'd suggest some of this:

 

post #71 of 78
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by iacas View Post
 

Videos without a bunch of commentary (or any) aren't particularly helpful. What are you working on?

 

 

 

Sorry it took me for ever to get them loaded and I was pooped mentally. Thanks for the input. I am having issues intermittently with the turn leaving my driver primarily open and pushing shots right with a serious slice. My ball striking has been poor at times too. A lot of fat shots on the range and intermittent ones while playing.

 

I started a 3 count back swing to slow it down and maintain weight on my front (left) foot. This focus and trying to keep my head still may be taking away from my proper turn. I think a lot of fat shots would be attributed to the tendency to get on my back foot when I am coming through the ball. I do feel uncomfortable turning more lately because of the propensity of getting on my right foot with follow through.

 

I think only two or three of these were actual decent shots. One from the 5, 4 wood and the driver but I don't know which one atm.

 

Main Issues

  1. Erratic drives (mostly push slices of epic proportion) which have tempered with slowing the back swing
  2. Fat shots and distance loss with irons (this has improved somewhat)
  3. Good distance and ball striking shots with exhibit a pulled nature periodically

 

Should I pull me feet closer together and bow my legs more? My swing feels really natural without the golf ball on a tee....then it becomes a tense situation. I really wish that would subside.

post #72 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valleygolfer View Post
 

Should I pull me feet closer together and bow my legs more? My swing feels really natural without the golf ball on a tee....then it becomes a tense situation. I really wish that would subside.

 

A narrower stance will help you, yes. It's also not about how much you turn but the rates at which you turn. Your backswing is very "arms" oriented. Let your turn carry your arms farther. And let your hips turning carry your torso turning.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Member Swings
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Practice Range › Member Swings › My Swing (Valleygolfer)