or Connect
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Clubhouse › Rules of Golf › Claiming I made a double hit
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Claiming I made a double hit

post #1 of 10
Thread Starter 

I was chipping my ball on a downslope next to the green. My wedge brushed the grass before I made contact with the ball. The ball went in the direction I intended and rolled up short of the hole. From my own perspective during the chip I never felt or heard the ball hit my wedge twice through the stroke.

 

My buddy however said he saw the shaft of my wedge hit the ball in the air during my chip. He said I hit the ball twice and was very adamant about it.

 

What happens in this situation? Do I give myself a one stroke penalty because he claimed I made a double hit?

post #2 of 10
Your buddy needs to relax
post #3 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nimrod84 View Post
 

What happens in this situation? Do I give myself a one stroke penalty because he claimed I made a double hit?

 

Did you?

 

If you don't agree, then no. You're the one with the best chance of having the best answer.

post #4 of 10
Casual round? If you don't believe you hit it twice, score as if you didn't.

Match play tournament? You need to get it resolved before moving to the next tee.

Stroke play tournament? He can take it up with the tournament committee later.

A guy I used to play with would call all sorts of nonsense penalties to try to get in my head. For example, if there's a water hazard on the left or right hand side of the fairway, and I hook/sliced it, he'd claim I crossed the hazard at a particular point. It wasn't uncommon for me to find my ball 20-30 yards further down than where he was claiming it.

I wonder if he knows why I don't play with him anymore. Is your friend similarly prone to making claims to try to get in your head?

I hope it didn't affect your play for the rest of the round.
post #5 of 10
Thread Starter 

Thank you for your replies. The reason I was unsure about this situation was because this was the first time he called me out on something and he seemed very convinced that I made a double hit.

post #6 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nimrod84 View Post

I was chipping my ball on a downslope next to the green. My wedge brushed the grass before I made contact with the ball. The ball went in the direction I intended and rolled up short of the hole. From my own perspective during the chip I never felt or heard the ball hit my wedge twice through the stroke.

My buddy however said he saw the shaft of my wedge hit the ball in the air during my chip. He said I hit the ball twice and was very adamant about it.

What happens in this situation? Do I give myself a one stroke penalty because he claimed I made a double hit?

When you say that you brushed the grass before actually making contact, what do you mean?

If you hit behind the ball and that propelled the ball forward, and then, in following through your club struck the ball, it's treated the same as if you actually struck the ball twice with the club.


14-4/3
Player Hits Behind Ball and Then Strikes Moving Ball

Q.In playing a chip shot, a player's club strikes the ground several inches behind the ball and does not come into contact with the ball. However, the ground is struck with enough force to cause the ball to move. The player's club continues and strikes the ball while it is moving. What is the ruling?

A.The player must count his stroke and add a penalty stroke under Rule 14-4.

Even though the club itself did not initially strike the ball, the ball was put into motion due to the stroke; therefore, Rule 14-4 applies.
post #7 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by David in FL View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nimrod84 View Post

I was chipping my ball on a downslope next to the green. My wedge brushed the grass before I made contact with the ball. The ball went in the direction I intended and rolled up short of the hole. From my own perspective during the chip I never felt or heard the ball hit my wedge twice through the stroke.

My buddy however said he saw the shaft of my wedge hit the ball in the air during my chip. He said I hit the ball twice and was very adamant about it.

What happens in this situation? Do I give myself a one stroke penalty because he claimed I made a double hit?

When you say that you brushed the grass before actually making contact, what do you mean?

If you hit behind the ball and that propelled the ball forward, and then, in following through your club struck the ball, it's treated the same as if you actually struck the ball twice with the club.


14-4/3
Player Hits Behind Ball and Then Strikes Moving Ball

Q.In playing a chip shot, a player's club strikes the ground several inches behind the ball and does not come into contact with the ball. However, the ground is struck with enough force to cause the ball to move. The player's club continues and strikes the ball while it is moving. What is the ruling?

A.The player must count his stroke and add a penalty stroke under Rule 14-4.

Even though the club itself did not initially strike the ball, the ball was put into motion due to the stroke; therefore, Rule 14-4 applies.

Not trying to be an ass, but wouldn't this happen (somewhat) on every fat shot?
post #8 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14ledo81 View Post

Not trying to be an ass, but wouldn't this happen (somewhat) on every fat shot?


This is a distinct striking of the ball well after it leaves its lie. Think of it like an explosion shot out of a bunker. The club never even actually touches the ball, but if during the follow through, you actually hit the ball after it's in the air, you incur the penalty.

The decision is explaining that it's not necessary for the club to have actually touched the ball in the first place in order for it to be deemed a double hit.
post #9 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by David in FL View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nimrod84 View Post

I was chipping my ball on a downslope next to the green. My wedge brushed the grass before I made contact with the ball. The ball went in the direction I intended and rolled up short of the hole. From my own perspective during the chip I never felt or heard the ball hit my wedge twice through the stroke.

My buddy however said he saw the shaft of my wedge hit the ball in the air during my chip. He said I hit the ball twice and was very adamant about it.

What happens in this situation? Do I give myself a one stroke penalty because he claimed I made a double hit?

When you say that you brushed the grass before actually making contact, what do you mean?

If you hit behind the ball and that propelled the ball forward, and then, in following through your club struck the ball, it's treated the same as if you actually struck the ball twice with the club.


14-4/3
Player Hits Behind Ball and Then Strikes Moving Ball

Q.In playing a chip shot, a player's club strikes the ground several inches behind the ball and does not come into contact with the ball. However, the ground is struck with enough force to cause the ball to move. The player's club continues and strikes the ball while it is moving. What is the ruling?

A.The player must count his stroke and add a penalty stroke under Rule 14-4.

Even though the club itself did not initially strike the ball, the ball was put into motion due to the stroke; therefore, Rule 14-4 applies.

 

I just took "the test" and that very question was on it.

 

cm

post #10 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shindig View Post

Casual round? If you don't believe you hit it twice, score as if you didn't.

Match play tournament? You need to get it resolved before moving to the next tee.

Stroke play tournament? He can take it up with the tournament committee later........

FIrstly, the player has to decide whether he hit the ball more than once.  If you say that you did not hit the ball twice and your opponent or fellow competitor say you did, then ....

 

In match play, you do not have to get it resolved before moving to the next tee; if there is no referee or committee member on the spot to make a ruling, your opponent has to inform you that he will be making a claim on the basis of your having hit the ball twice before starting play of the next hole or if at the 18th before leaving the green.  The outcome of the hole is decided at that point on your stated score i.e. without any penalty and the outcome of the match is determined accordingly.  You then report the situation to the  Committee for a ruling.  The state of the match is adjusted if necessary following that ruling.  

 

In stroke play, you would  record your score without a penalty.  Your marker is not a referee and could only say that he was sure you hit the ball twice and that it needs to be ruled on by the Committee before your card is signed and submitted.   

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Rules of Golf
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Clubhouse › Rules of Golf › Claiming I made a double hit