or Connect
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Clubhouse › Tour Talk › Steve Elkington on Twitter
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Steve Elkington on Twitter

post #1 of 88
Thread Starter 

May as well have a thread about it.

 

Steve Elkington, he of one major championship (nobody will say he wasn't a good golfer), routinely demonstrates what a giant ****ing ******* he is on Twitter.

 

The latest?

 

Quote:

ESPN covering Michael Sam as a gay athlete is embarrassing .....
-- Steve Elkington (@elkpga) February 25, 2014

 

ESPN reporting Michael Sam is leading the handbag throw at NFL combine.... No one else expected to throw today
-- Steve Elkington (@elkpga) February 25, 2014

 

 

The tweets have since been deleted.

 

This comes on the heels of his insults re: Stephanie Wei.

post #2 of 88

Maybe he will blame the alcohol again...what a jerkylicker!  I can't stand Elk either.

post #3 of 88

Looks like he's trying to backpedal now.

 

 

post #4 of 88

Yeah, he then referred to Chinese people as Orientals. Some people don't understand that the term is derogatory so it's not always easy to tell if it's an insult or not.

 

That Southport tweet was pretty bad as well.

post #5 of 88

This thread (and the other thread it came from: http://thesandtrap.com/t/11719/biggest-jerk-on-the-tour/288#post_954889) kind of makes me feel better about Bubba Watson. ;-)

 

post #6 of 88

Elkington is done unless he claims his twitter account was hacked.  He can't claim ignorance this time..

post #7 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lihu View Post

This thread (and the other thread it came from: http://thesandtrap.com/t/11719/biggest-jerk-on-the-tour/288#post_954889) kind of makes me feel better about Bubba Watson. a2_wink.gif


Bubba's a real jackass too.
post #8 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by nevets88 View Post
 

Yeah, he then referred to Chinese people as Orientals. Some people don't understand that the term is derogatory so it's not always easy to tell if it's an insult or not.

 

 

Is Oriental a derogatory term? And if so, then about who and about what period of time? 

 

These are honest questions.

post #9 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by luu5 View Post

Is Oriental a derogatory term? And if so, then about who and about what period of time? 

These are honest questions.

General rule of thumb: rugs can be oriental, people aren't.

(And even then, some people don't like the term regardless.)
post #10 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamo View Post


General rule of thumb: rugs can be oriental, people aren't.

(And even then, some people don't like the term regardless.)

 

Perhaps more US thing? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orient

post #11 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by nevets88 View Post
 

Yeah, he then referred to Chinese people as Orientals. Some people don't understand that the term is derogatory so it's not always easy to tell if it's an insult or not.

 

That Southport tweet was pretty bad as well.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtogolf View Post
 

Elkington is done unless he claims his twitter account was hacked.  He can't claim ignorance this time..

 

 

Not sure how to take this one. It would be a shame if his career went down the tubes just because of these tweets.

 

I suppose these folks are set to a higher standard than the average golfer, in all ways. Also, many more Asians are taking up the game, and it would be good to get away from my dad's generation of golf haters because of the old stereotypes of bias. It kind of goes both ways. If my dad see's a middle aged white male (even his own relatives :roll:) at a golf course, he immediately assumes that he is a biased individual.

 

In my short time as a golfer, I have not seen any outward form of bias aimed towards my dad's heritage throughout the entire country.

 

I've heard the term "Oriental", which conjures up "Nissan Ramen Noodles (Oriental Flavor)". :loco:

 

Any word can be made to sound bad by the tone of delivery.

 

Edit: See Jamo's comment. It's just awkward.

post #12 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by iacas View Post
 

May as well have a thread about it.

 

Steve Elkington, he of one major championship (nobody will say he wasn't a good golfer), routinely demonstrates what a giant ****ing ******* he is on Twitter.

 

The latest?

 

 

 

The tweets have since been deleted.

 

This comes on the heels of his insults re: Stephanie Wei.

For some reason, this hyperlink didn't work for me.  Found it though: http://thesandtrap.com/t/72587/professional-golfers-behaving-badly-on-twitter

 

And now, finally, @Ernest Jones current user title makes sense to me!  I was clueless. :-P 

post #13 of 88

Jesus Christ, oriental? Even saying 'oriental food' in 2014 makes you sound like you are a hundred years old. Between the grating personality and that mug of his, this man is truly a monster.

post #14 of 88

By the way ...

 

To be fair to the douchebag ... I read the "Oriental" tweet more as him "quoting" somebody else saying oriental, and him saying that it shouldn't matter what race the person is, the announcer should just say "spectator."

 

Whether or not it was an actual quote, or if he is the one using the word, I have no idea.

 

I also don't know how different the PC culture is in Australia.  Certainly an American who hasn't lived under a rock for the past 20 years knows that Oriental is not kosher, but maybe things are different down under.  I don't know.

 

He still seems like a complete jerk-off though.

post #15 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by legitimatebeef View Post
 

Jesus Christ, oriental? Even saying 'oriental food' in 2014 makes you sound like you are a hundred years old. Between the grating personality and that mug of his, this man is truly a monster.

 

LOL, :-$

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfingdad View Post
 

By the way ...

 

To be fair to the douchebag ... I read the "Oriental" tweet more as him "quoting" somebody else saying oriental, and him saying that it shouldn't matter what race the person is, the announcer should just say "spectator."

 

Whether or not it was an actual quote, or if he is the one using the word, I have no idea.

 

I also don't know how different the PC culture is in Australia.  Certainly an American who hasn't lived under a rock for the past 20 years knows that Oriental is not kosher, but maybe things are different down under.  I don't know.

 

He still seems like a complete jerk-off though.


Technically, Aussies are "Orientals".

post #16 of 88
I mean Elkington was just getting out from under the remark about S Wei. C'mon man you cant handle Twitter so just leave it alone.
post #17 of 88
It's more an American thing - Oriental being derogatory. But probably rarely used as an insult. Celestial is rarely used, more of an Australian word but definitely derogatory.

http://racerelations.about.com/gi/o.htm?zi=1/XJ&zTi=1&sdn=racerelations&cdn=newsissues&tm=69&f=20&tt=2&bt=3&bts=3&zu=http%3A//cityroom.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/09/09/law-bans-use-of-oriental-in-state-documents/

The English use the word fag to refer to a cigarette whereas here it's derogatory, so I'd cut Elkington a little slack but would be wary as to his intentions. His use of Pakki though...

Best way to be sure you're not insulting anyone is to be super regional specific. Instead of Oriental - Bejinger, Shanghainese, Taiwanese, South Korean, Japanese, Thai, etc... Don't consolidate the 'Orient' into one amorphous mass - totally different cultures although physical characteristics may seem similar. I'm Chinese and I failed the test out on the Internet that asks you to ID the race based on photo of face.
post #18 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by nevets88 View Post

It's more an American thing - Oriental being derogatory. But probably rarely used as an insult. Celestial is rarely used, more of an Australian word but definitely derogatory.

http://racerelations.about.com/gi/o.htm?zi=1/XJ&zTi=1&sdn=racerelations&cdn=newsissues&tm=69&f=20&tt=2&bt=3&bts=3&zu=http%3A//cityroom.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/09/09/law-bans-use-of-oriental-in-state-documents/

The English use the word fag to refer to a cigarette whereas here it's derogatory, so I'd cut Elkington a little slack but would be wary as to his intentions. His use of Pakki though...

 

I think his use of "reverse gear" shows that his intention is not to insult anyone even if forced by his agent.

 

Sometimes, we all slip up on words we have heard throughout our lives. Does he or did he live in a bias free world? Do any of us? It takes time for things to become less biased.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Tour Talk
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Clubhouse › Tour Talk › Steve Elkington on Twitter