or Connect
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Practice Range › Instruction and Playing Tips › McIlroy A7-A8 dtl - is this excessive face rotation or just right?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

McIlroy A7-A8 dtl - is this excessive face rotation or just right?

post #1 of 11
Thread Starter 

It's a long iron draw, looks just about right to me, not excessive. Wondering what others think. Hit the green in two with this, so can't argue with the result.

 

 

post #2 of 11

 Is there a 5th Power Accumulator? 

post #3 of 11
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by iacas View Post
 

 Is there a 5th Power Accumulator? 

 

Yes - gonna have to reread that post.

post #4 of 11

@iacas I thought toe up at A8 was closed to the arc and not optimal?

post #5 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by billchao View Post
 

@iacas I thought toe up at A8 was closed to the arc and not optimal?

 

We see all sorts of rates of rotation from PGA Tour players. It is closed to the arc, but throwing the club tends to do that, so you're more likely to see toe up at 8 than "angled hinging."

post #6 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by iacas View Post

We see all sorts of rates of rotation from PGA Tour players. It is closed to the arc, but throwing the club tends to do that, so you're more likely to see toe up at 8 than "angled hinging."
I understand throwing the club, but what is "angled hinging?"
post #7 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by billchao View Post


I understand throwing the club, but what is "angled hinging?"

 

Sorry, TGM terms.

 

Toe up at A6 is "open to the plane" but you see it in 99% of PGA Tour pros. It's fine. The act of throwing also tends to produce a rolling or closing face (above and beyond what would normally be required to "keep the clubface square to the plane").
 

Videos (OT) (Click to show)

 

post #8 of 11
Thread Starter 

@iacas- not sure what throwing is. It sounds like a less controlled let go(ing) of the arms and hands after A7. Is throwing a good or bad thing? Or just a thing?

post #9 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by nevets88 View Post
 

@iacas- not sure what throwing is. It sounds like a less controlled let go(ing) of the arms and hands after A7. Is throwing a good or bad thing? Or just a thing?

 

It's just this, again: Is there a 5th Power Accumulator? 

post #10 of 11
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by iacas View Post

 

It's just this, again: Is there a 5th Power Accumulator? 

 

When I first read this, I didn't "get" it as much as I do now, as I better understand TGM terminology and understand the geometry of the swing better. Makes me wonder - do you need to "understand", have an implicit feel for the motions and how they tie together before you can really get the most out of the above thread?

post #11 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by nevets88 View Post
 

When I first read this, I didn't "get" it as much as I do now, as I better understand TGM terminology and understand the geometry of the swing better. Makes me wonder - do you need to "understand", have an implicit feel for the motions and how they tie together before you can really get the most out of the above thread?

 

I don't know if Phil Mickelson could tell you the first thing about TGM, so… I want to say "no" to that. :-)

 

Players instinctively "throw" the clubhead at the ball. So long as it's not "thrown" before impact, they can be quite good.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Instruction and Playing Tips
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Practice Range › Instruction and Playing Tips › McIlroy A7-A8 dtl - is this excessive face rotation or just right?