or Connect
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Clubhouse › Tour Talk › Tiger Woods Master Catch-All Thread (Was Injury Thread)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Tiger Woods Master Catch-All Thread (Was Injury Thread) - Page 16

post #271 of 638
Quote:
Originally Posted by colin007 View Post
 

i didnt realize that he came out and officially said it was a bulging disc, i thought that was just speculation.


My understanding as well.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtogolf View Post
 

He said it's a bulging disc, what more do you need to know?  Consider it a "day to day" football injury so there's no long term prognosis, he and his team will decide if he can play when they have to.  When did this information come out????????

 

Why aren't you asking for Phil to hold a press conference about his oblique or Ryan Moore about his hip problem?

Because both players made the source of the injury known, as has Jason Day. And if you read my post I specifically said I wasn't expecting or the need for a press conference.

post #272 of 638
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfisher View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtogolf View Post
 

He said it's a bulging disc, what more do you need to know?  Consider it a "day to day" football injury so there's no long term prognosis, he and his team will decide if he can play when they have to.  When did this information come out????????

 

Why aren't you asking for Phil to hold a press conference about his oblique or Ryan Moore about his hip problem?

Because both players made the source of the injury known, as has Jason Day. And if you read my post I specifically said I wasn't expecting or the need for a press conference.


He said it was his lower back and a disc bulge? Do you think it really matters any more than that?

post #273 of 638
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valleygolfer View Post
 


He said it was his lower back and a disc bulge? Do you think it really matters any more than that?


From the Tiger Woods web site....

 

under the recent  News tab, in a very brief announcement it mentions Back spasms only..........Nothing about bulging disk or insinuation of one.

post #274 of 638
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfisher View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valleygolfer View Post
 


He said it was his lower back and a disc bulge? Do you think it really matters any more than that?


From the Tiger Woods web site....

 

under the recent  News tab, in a very brief announcement it mentions Back spasms only..........Nothing about bulging disk or insinuation of one.


I guess I don't really care if it is a thumb, oblique, toe or back. If you can't play, you can't play. I am interested to see him play but if you are on the DL, don't come back until you feel like it is safe to play.

post #275 of 638
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfisher View Post
 


From the Tiger Woods web site....

 

under the recent  News tab, in a very brief announcement it mentions Back spasms only..........Nothing about bulging disk or insinuation of one.

According to Jeff Rude of GolfWeek, Tiger Woods has a bulging disc in his back that won't require surgery.

You can read the full report here. Rude lays out the ramifactions:

 

"Tiger Woods has been diagnosed with a bulging back disc and won't need surgery, someone with knowledge of his condition said Thursday.  It could have been much worse, the person said, because Woods doesn't have the kind of herniated disc that likely would require an operation."

 

Yes, surgery is never good, but neither is a lingering back injury for a 38-year-old golfer trying to grind his way to five more majors.

post #276 of 638

FWIW, suppose Tiger gets to 18 and then never wins another major: I have a hard time believing that any even semi-rational fan of golf would not give him the edge in GOAT over Jack because Tiger's 18 is actually 21 to Jack's 20 if you count the U.S. Am wins, and he's already surpassed him in terms of PGA Tour wins.

post #277 of 638
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtogolf View Post

According to Jeff Rude of GolfWeek, Tiger Woods has a bulging disc in his back that won't require surgery.
You can read the full report here. Rude lays out the ramifactions:


"Tiger Woods has been diagnosed with a bulging back disc and won't need surgery, someone with knowledge of his condition said Thursday.  It could have been much worse, the person said, because Woods doesn't have the kind of herniated disc that likely would require an operation."


Yes, surgery is never good, but neither is a lingering back injury for a 38-year-old golfer trying to grind his way to five more majors.

Actually that is the article that I read which prompted me to write, I mean this is likely 3rd party information and info, likely from a nurse in the clinic who is late on her mortgage or car payment. But that's only an assumption.

I concede its possible, but I don't concede your statement that Tiger said it or ever has said it, newtown and valley golfer read your own post above. Where both of you state that he (tiger ) said it. I was just trying to get to the bottom of it, seems innocent enough why doesn't he just come out with it and as his fans to be hopeful that it can be treated and he'll play the masters.
post #278 of 638
Quote:
Originally Posted by iacas View Post

FWIW, suppose Tiger gets to 18 and then never wins another major: I have a hard time believing that any even semi-rational fan of golf would not give him the edge in GOAT over Jack because Tiger's 18 is actually 21 to Jack's 20 if you count the U.S. Am wins, and he's already surpassed him in terms of PGA Tour wins.

I see your point, lets say they tie at 18 to 18, Tiger retires etc. would the notion go down to total second place in Majors? Jack had a ton. This is bit usual but if the notion is who was the most dominating in Majors, would 2nd and 3rd places be valued? Top 5s?

Let's hope it never has to go that far.
post #279 of 638
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfisher View Post


I see your point, lets say they tie at 18 to 18, Tiger retires etc. would the notion go down to total second place in Majors? Jack had a ton. This is bit usual but if the notion is who was the most dominating in Majors, would 2nd and 3rd places be valued? Top 5s?

Let's hope it never has to go that far.

I would think it goes to total wins and Tiger wins that tie breaker.

post #280 of 638
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtogolf View Post
 

I would think it goes to total wins and Tiger wins that tie breaker.

 

And that's just for the people who come down to "18 > xx."

 

Because as far as I'm concerned, Tiger > Jack (by a tiny margin, sometimes I feel like they're tied) already. Anything else is gravy or breaks the tie.

post #281 of 638
Quote:
Tiger Woods’ manager Mark Steinberg has told the Palm Beach Post that the world No. 1 will make a decision “very, very shortly” regarding his status for next week’s Masters.
Woods has been slowed by back spasms since he had to withdraw from the Honda Classic earlier this month. He tied for 25th at the WGC-Cadillac Championship despite back pain on Friday and Sunday and decided not to play the Arnold Palmer Invitational because of the ailment.
http://www.golfchannel.com/news/golf-central/woods-agent-masters-decision-coming-very-shortly/

Is this a good thing or a bad thing? You would think that he'd wait until next week to make his decision. Maybe his doctor told him not to play?
post #282 of 638
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac20 View Post


http://www.golfchannel.com/news/golf-central/woods-agent-masters-decision-coming-very-shortly/

Is this a good thing or a bad thing? You would think that he'd wait until next week to make his decision. Maybe his doctor told him not to play?

 

Or, depending on the injury he has causing the spasms, a week may not make much difference. lets just hope he's able to play. 

post #283 of 638
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer 4 View Post

Or, depending on the injury he has causing the spasms, a week may not make much difference. lets just hope he's able to play. 

I think Steinbergs has been reading this whole thread and decided it was time to say something about nothing....a3_biggrin.gif...a3_biggrin.gif....a3_biggrin.gif
post #284 of 638
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac20 View Post


http://www.golfchannel.com/news/golf-central/woods-agent-masters-decision-coming-very-shortly/

Is this a good thing or a bad thing? You would think that he'd wait until next week to make his decision. Maybe his doctor told him not to play?

Assuming he wasn't answering a question posed by a reporter, I would classify Steinberg's statement as pointless IMO. Masters is 10 days away, so I would expect TW to make a decision soon anyways. It's like saying "I wanna make a statement that we will be making a decision soon". Just come out when you've made the decision.

It's a statement I would make if I wanted everyone to keep speculating about the matter. So for now, I'll work under the impression that he was answering a question. The link doesn't seem to provide a context of how the comment came about,

post #285 of 638
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3putter View Post
 

Assuming he wasn't answering a question posed by a reporter, I would classify Steinberg's statement as pointless IMO. Masters is 10 days away, so I would expect TW to make a decision soon anyways. It's like saying "I wanna make a statement that we will be making a decision soon". Just come out when you've made the decision.

It's a statement I would make if I wanted everyone to keep speculating about the matter. So for now, I'll work under the impression that he was answering a question. The link doesn't seem to provide a context of how the comment came about,

It was strictly a PR thing, which I get. Some people are probably getting nervous about the lack of decision from Tiger. Not all that surprising. 

post #286 of 638

According to Tim Roasforte he has been hitting balls for a little while now. He didn't really say much more than that other than he has been able to hit balls lately. Not sure obviously for how long and if he's hitting full shots and whether he's hitting these shots pain free. 

Either way that has to be some good news. 

 

Imagine if all this was so elaborately planned out just to keep the focus off of his actual golf game and results lately. All anyone is talking about is his back and whether he can simply play. No one is really talking about hey he hasn't won one of these since 2005, hey he's not playing well at all regardless of health and certainly no one seems to care much about his chances to win, just simply if he tees it up. The whole thing could be a big facade to try and take some of the pressure off his game and his mind. I know its a bit ridiculous, or really truly ridiculous but I wouldn't put it past Tiger who has continually wanted to write the narrative for the media ever since 2009. I have no doubt he has/had some back issues but he could have played this all up much worse than it really is. Or he could have down played it much less then how bad it really is. Speculate to speculate.

 

The lead up week to the Masters always seems to turn into a side show of shaming Tiger. I know that some of his former mistress/pornstars have released videos and such right around now in the years past. I know they've done shows and such at local area strip joints and clubs that are Tiger themed and I believe they've stated in the past they do it try and get into his head. I know Rick Reilly wrote a terrible article 2 years ago about Tiger and his relationship with his siblings that dropped 2 days before the Masters started. It could all just be a big show to change the narrative, but who really knows. 

 

If you're a believer in Vegas almost always being right than Tiger will be playing in the Masters. Odds are overwhelming in favor of it. 

post #287 of 638
Quote:
Originally Posted by Conrad View Post
 

 

If you're a believer in Vegas almost always being right than Tiger will be playing in the Masters. Odds are overwhelming in favor of it.

If he's not at risk of injuring himself worse I agree he'll play in the Masters.  I'm wouldn't bet against him withdrawing if he plays poorly though.

post #288 of 638
Quote:
Originally Posted by iacas View Post

And that's just for the people who come down to "18 > xx."

Because as far as I'm concerned, Tiger > Jack (by a tiny margin, sometimes I feel like they're tied) already. Anything else is gravy or breaks the tie.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mvmac View Post

Then the Greatest Player of All Time thread will never be resolved! a2_wink.gif

I think if there is one place he can win with a rusty swing it's Augusta. Hope he stays healthy.

I believe Tiger may already be the greatest player of all time; it's close, whether or not he gets 18.

I think, however, that he nowhere approaches Jack in terms of overall legacy. Sure, there's 30 years to go but I don't see Tiger 3 decades from now with the same influence Jack has today. From his design work to charities to The Memorial, Jack has put a huge footprint on the game.

Could there be a time when people get excited about playing a TW-designed course as they (I) do with Jack's many treasures? Perhaps but I don't see it.

Could one day the World Challenge have the same prestige as The Memorial? I suppose so but doubt it.

So, I may give Tigs an edge on the field of play but Jack far surpasses him from a world of golf standpoint.

Maybe no one in all of sport has ever transferred such greatness on the field to such success and recognition off it. So when I see GOAT references I'm inclined to give it to Jack. Add a "P" after the G and Tiger is right there.

Dumb argument? Too early to call? Perhaps but that's how I see it.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Tour Talk
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Clubhouse › Tour Talk › Tiger Woods Master Catch-All Thread (Was Injury Thread)