Keep in mind a few things that have been reported:
1) A few weeks ago he tweeted that he experienced back pain & that its the same back pain he experienced at the Barclays last September.
2) Assuming at that point he looked into every option known to mankind, Pills, therapy, acupuncture, chiropractic, yoga maybe even holistic therapy and stretching.
3) He had all winter to rest.
4) he was quoted he had weeks of down time away from clubs in late November and December.
5 He is only scheduled for 14 +2 euro tournaments, the same as last year.
6) Worst start of his career 2014 calendar year. Worse finishing rounds (sat and Sunday) of his career 2013 and 2014.
7) He has withdrawn (2) or had serious back problems 3 out of last 6 tourneys- beginning with Dubai in late January 2014.
My conclusion now is this likely won't be "just a couple of weeks rest", this could be status quo for a while. Will he retire? Not likely, but professional athletes often state, "I'll walk away when I can't compete anymore". Tiger has often said it's all about the W. and the past few years he seems to smile less & less and grimace more while playing.
Every sport has athetes that play thru pain and yet others that seem to be more fragile for what ever reason.