or Connect
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Clubhouse › Golf Talk › Operation "Rest my Muscles", a diary of the recovery process to get my swing back.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Operation "Rest my Muscles", a diary of the recovery process to get my swing back. - Page 2

post #19 of 32
Thread Starter 

Well I hit a medium bucket (70 balls) on grass today, with limited but good results towards recovery.

 

I should thank @mvmacfor squaring me up, so to speak.B-)

 

Warmed up with my PW (MP33/KBS shafts) by lobbing balls anywhere from 80 to 100 yards. Then I slowed down for about 10 balls, then started to do some full swings.

 

The outcome is 110 yards for a full PW, but really high. No pain. The muscles seem to be 80% recovered. For the entire session I only had 3 duffs, didn't make any practice swings and the lie was bumpy (they went like 2/3 distance).

 

So, I ventured to hit 5 balls each of 9i, 8i, 7i, then rest for a bit. Duffed one 7i shot when I decided I didn't need a warm up swing.

 

After my rest and iced tea, I hit the 6i and 5i. This was getting me excited. 3 shots on the 6i went poof and carried a 30 yards high to about 160 to 165 yards, the other two were short and one a duff. My 5i carried around 175, and hit close to the 175 flag 2 times out of 5 and I came within 15 yards (2 left/right and one duff) on the other hits.

 

I hit random clubs with my remaining 25 balls, and hit the PW with a nice high flight to about 110 yards. My 7i was a nice round 144 yards (mostly over the target green). 8i was a disappointing 130 to 135 yards. I think the 7i, 6i and 5i are bent progressively steeper, or the 8i to PW have too much loft. It might lean towards the latter because my 52 and PW are only about 5 yards apart. I'll have the lofts measured.

 

In any case this was a nice surprise, I think I can use these MP33 until I get my Pings back from my son when he gets some newer club. The 3 duffs are concerning, and I need to keep an eye out for them.

 

I also tried driver. All draws. One hit halfway up the fence about 230 yards away, three barely reached. Oh, well "range" balls. Ok, I admit that the real reason was off center hits :roll:. I duck hooked one shot because I got distracted.

 

Need to keep an eye on my iron performance. All of my duffs were due to lack of a practice swing, but I don't feel that confident that it would have been that different with them?

 

Need to hit less than a medium bucket, and every other day. Tomorrow it'll be yoga, stretching and light 52 wedge work only. I need to start pilates for core strength around the lower abdomen and hips. 

 

From overworked to the point where I could barely move (even out of bed) to 80% healed was about a week. Just keeping it light. I think another week of half effort will heal it to nearly 100%.

 

From now on it will be practice every other day with no more than a medium bucket and yoga will be the mainstay. Pilates to prevent future situations like this one.

 

I should have done this before my golf outings last month.

 

Phew, it's kind of over. Just need to take it easier. . .

post #20 of 32

Nice bro. Yeah, take it easy...no need for any set backs at this point. Glad you got through it. Yoga and/or Pilates are def gonna help in the ways you said and more. I've been using a foam roller after I play/range and it's absolute money! Back and shoulders feel so good after. Curious...what kind of stretches do you do before hitting? I need a good go-to stretching routine.

post #21 of 32
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by BENtSwing32 View Post
 

Nice bro. Yeah, take it easy...no need for any set backs at this point. Glad you got through it. Yoga and/or Pilates are def gonna help in the ways you said and more. I've been using a foam roller after I play/range and it's absolute money! Back and shoulders feel so good after. Curious...what kind of stretches do you do before hitting? I need a good go-to stretching routine.


I was going to ask you about the stretches you do. I typically do the ones for running/sprinting.

 

BTW, is this similar to the foam roller exercise that you do after golf?

post #22 of 32

I do the back foam roller exercise from the video for sure, and I make sure to focus on the upper back and shoulder blades or any areas that feel particularly tight or sore. Then I'll lay in vertically along my spine and just kinda lay on it for a minute or so. Feels so good. I'll do it in front of the tv w GC on lol.

 

I'll do the foam roller before I leave the house to play or practice, and then, like you mentioned, do the running type stretches. I also like to hold a club with a hand at each end and kinda bend over side to side, and twist around. Kinda loosens up the core. It's really just a half-assed make-it-up-as-I-go thing lol.

 

Actually might try some of this stuff...but I'll do it at home so I don't look like and ******* lol.

post #23 of 32
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by BENtSwing32 View Post
 

I do the back foam roller exercise from the video for sure, and I make sure to focus on the upper back and shoulder blades or any areas that feel particularly tight or sore. Then I'll lay in vertically along my spine and just kinda lay on it for a minute or so. Feels so good. I'll do it in front of the tv w GC on lol.

 

I'll do the foam roller before I leave the house to play or practice, and then, like you mentioned, do the running type stretches. I also like to hold a club with a hand at each end and kinda bend over side to side, and twist around. Kinda loosens up the core. It's really just a half-assed make-it-up-as-I-go thing lol.

 

Actually might try some of this stuff...but I'll do it at home so I don't look like and ******* lol.

 

I think his cigar keeps his image clear of any suspicious possibilities. B-)

 

BTW, thanks for the foam roller suggestions. I can already anticipate feeling the soothing after effects.

post #24 of 32

Miguel is a great model as he is older and does (somewhat) take care of his body.  But i would hasten to add that he has been golfing heavy-duty for 40 years and is highly efficient in muscle usage, tendon and ligament alignment etc.  Many of us are constantly searching for such efficiency in the swing and can much more easily tear muscles, pull tendons and that sort of thing.  I'm probably way stronger and more flexible than nearly all others my age but that does not make me esp efficient in the exercise of golf. Hips and hamstrings, the big butt muscles, lower back all get worked hard in golf.  Fatigue is also a factor in exercise and golf.   There is not a muscle or body part that yoga does not speak to in strength and flexibility  but golf is much more dynamic and can cause injury. Resting the body is important.  

post #25 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lihu View Post
 

I think his cigar keeps his image clear of any suspicious possibilities. B-)

 

BTW, thanks for the foam roller suggestions. I can already anticipate feeling the soothing after effects.

Hahaha good point..cigar changes everything.

 

No problem...using it on the legs like in that video you posted looks beneficial too. Gonna try that.

post #26 of 32

Your muscles might get less sore if most of your practice was A6-8 drills ;-)

post #27 of 32
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mvmac View Post
 

Your muscles might get less sore if most of your practice was A6-8 drills ;-)


Okay, more 52 degree wedge work and less full swings.

post #28 of 32
Thread Starter 

The legs and gluts are healed and the lower abdomen and hips are almost 90%.

 

Planning on doing hip turn stretching to stimulate my intercostals to heal faster. They seem to be the slowest to heal, possibly because I did not use them before 4 months ago.

post #29 of 32

Human muscle needs time to recover from training.  Below is just one article on the topic.  

 

 

http://www.unm.edu/~lkravitz/Article%20folder/recoveryUNM.html

post #30 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkim291968 View Post
 

Human muscle needs time to recover from training.  Below is just one article on the topic.  

 

 

http://www.unm.edu/~lkravitz/Article%20folder/recoveryUNM.html

 

 

For me, its understanding my own body. I think most guys who work out a lot understand their own body and when to push and when to back off. Given some people do just push too far. If my muscles are slightly sore, like tight. I can still work out again. Like today. My chest, and hip adductors are just brutal today, each step is pretty unpleasant. This will probably take me 2-3 days to recover to were I am comfortable to go back at the workout intensity I like. 

 

Oh on a side note THANKS @mvmac that exercise routine you posted the other day just tore me up. :-D

 

I will say this, if the muscle is just tight, not really sore. I can usually work out and it actually gets better as it loosens up. If there is significant pain, like if I push down on the muscle with my hand and their is discomfort, then its a no go. If it is really bad, I'll do the ice bath maneuver to really decrease the inflammation. Mostly I tend to do some stretching and maybe some light massage with a tennis ball or foam roller. 

post #31 of 32
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by saevel25 View Post

 

I will say this, if the muscle is just tight, not really sore. I can usually work out and it actually gets better as it loosens up. If there is significant pain, like if I push down on the muscle with my hand and their is discomfort, then its a no go. If it is really bad, I'll do the ice bath maneuver to really decrease the inflammation. Mostly I tend to do some stretching and maybe some light massage with a tennis ball or foam roller. 

 

I will also add a little warning about the intercostal/abdominal muscles. They are used a lot in the golf swing. You don't feel them get sore, because they are not used that much in other activities.

 

So, One quick check is to arch your back backwards while breathing in deeply and slowly, and if you feel pain or even cramping in the mid-back or the mid to lower abdomen, then the muscles are probably not at full capacity. It might be time to back off a little. If there is only a little discomfort in the floating ribs, then you're good to go with a warmup like @saevel25 suggested.

 

When I ignored these signs, I started to develop a bad swing. I bent down more and let my arms hang out which led to opening of the shoulders and a bad swing.

post #32 of 32

Taking a break from golf to recharge the batteries is very important from time to time. I was lucky to play on my varsity team at college, but after I graduated college I took 3 months off from golf, which turned out to be the best thing I could have done.  However, I would argue that the mental break to recover your swing, is equally as important as the physical aspect.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Golf Talk
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Clubhouse › Golf Talk › Operation "Rest my Muscles", a diary of the recovery process to get my swing back.