or Connect
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Clubhouse › Tour Talk › Patrick Reed - Is he arrogant?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Patrick Reed - Is he arrogant?

Poll Results: Arrogant?

 
  • 52% (50)
    Yes
  • 47% (45)
    No
95 Total Votes  
post #1 of 369
Thread Starter 

Seeing as the Doral thread is being consumed with such talk.....

post #2 of 369
Yeah I think he is a little arrogant. Confidence is saying "I'm really happy where my game is at right now". Arrogance is saying "I'm one of the best players in the world even though I haven't even played in any majors yet".
post #3 of 369

I think that Reed just made his life more difficult with his comments. If I recall correctly the most arrogant thing a young Tiger Woods ever said publicly was "Second place sucks" which is not even close to the glowing self-praise that Reed regaled us all with.

post #4 of 369

Sure he is. I think every athlete that competes at high level/professional level has some sense of entitlement and arrogance. I don't think thats a bad thing either. Tiger Woods, Roger Federer, and Michael Jordan didn't get to the pinnacle of their sport without some selfishness and arrogance. 

Obviously Reed isn't anywhere near that level but I sure can't blame him for the confidence or over confidence.

 

I do have a few issues with it though especially in the world of golf.

Golf is a sport that so often you can come out get hot and play great one week and be slamming your trunk on Friday afternoon the next week. We see so many "flashes in the pan" in golf that its really hard to put your finger on how good a player is until he proves it over a long period of time. Tiger, Adam Scott and Henrik Stenson didn't just climb to the top of the world in a couple of weeks. Its a long journey and one that can't be judged based on a small amount of competitions like Reed's case. 

There is a huge difference in being the hottest player in the world or one the 5 hottest players in the world then being a top 5 player. I mean lets be serious how can you even be considered top 20 without ever teeing it up a major championship. 

 

The other issue or thing I find funny about this and his victory yesterday is that he really wasn't pushed much at all on the back 9. No one in the final groups had a good day. Tiger, Dufner, Mahan and the Johnsons all faded. I would have liked to see him be forced to pull driver on 18 and see how he reacted to that. If he had done it with one of those guys coming at him hard similarly to the way Rory did it at Honda in 2012 then maybe his arrogance wouldn't be so misguided. But lets be honest, Reed hung on by the skin of teeth on the back 9 and no one really popped up and made him work. 

 

Lets see what this kid does over the entire course of a season going up against high quality fields and what he can in a few major championships before we declare him anything more than a flash in the pan. 

post #5 of 369

Aren't all professional athletes arrogant?

 

To be the best, you have to believe you are the best ... Same in the business world ... I have no problem with his attitude/comments.

post #6 of 369

I think everyone agrees he's slightly arrogant, but I also think a lot are taking this way overboard. So much crying. 

post #7 of 369

After round interview, he went right up to the line of basically saying, "I'm better than everyone who played this week."  Not saying that he PLAYED better, which was the case, but more of a tone of, "I'm better than everyone else out here right now."

 

Dave

post #8 of 369
Quote:
Originally Posted by Conrad View Post
 

Sure he is. I think every athlete that competes at high level/professional level has some sense of entitlement and arrogance. I don't think thats a bad thing either. Tiger Woods, Roger Federer, and Michael Jordan didn't get to the pinnacle of their sport without some selfishness and arrogance. 

Obviously Reed isn't anywhere near that level but I sure can't blame him for the confidence or over confidence.

 

I do have a few issues with it though especially in the world of golf.

Golf is a sport that so often you can come out get hot and play great one week and be slamming your trunk on Friday afternoon the next week. We see so many "flashes in the pan" in golf that its really hard to put your finger on how good a player is until he proves it over a long period of time. Tiger, Adam Scott and Henrik Stenson didn't just climb to the top of the world in a couple of weeks. Its a long journey and one that can't be judged based on a small amount of competitions like Reed's case. 

There is a huge difference in being the hottest player in the world or one the 5 hottest players in the world then being a top 5 player. I mean lets be serious how can you even be considered top 20 without ever teeing it up a major championship. 

 

The other issue or thing I find funny about this and his victory yesterday is that he really wasn't pushed much at all on the back 9. No one in the final groups had a good day. Tiger, Dufner, Mahan and the Johnsons all faded. I would have liked to see him be forced to pull driver on 18 and see how he reacted to that. If he had done it with one of those guys coming at him hard similarly to the way Rory did it at Honda in 2012 then maybe his arrogance wouldn't be so misguided. But lets be honest, Reed hung on by the skin of teeth on the back 9 and no one really popped up and made him work. 

 

Lets see what this kid does over the entire course of a season going up against high quality fields and what he can in a few major championships before we declare him anything more than a flash in the pan. 

Nice first post @Conrad .  Welcome to the site.

post #9 of 369

Is this a serious question?  Anyone that rambles off their list of accomplishments 3 minutes after winning a PGA event, is arrogant. Period.  

post #10 of 369
Quote:
Originally Posted by albatross View Post
 

Is this a serious question?  Anyone that rambles off their list of accomplishments 3 minutes after winning a PGA event, is arrogant. Period.  

 

So what do you say to those who would counter "He was asked?"

post #11 of 369

Tough to say, based on that one interview. It looked to me like he realized how he was coming across, which led to a semi-awkward backtrack of "uhh.. I mean except Tiger and some other legends of the game."

 

Reed certainly wasn't backing down from his prior statements (which I can respect), but he did so poorly and in a way that seemed arrogant to most of the viewing public. Having been on the wrong side of "foot in mouth" disease before, I will hold back from condemning him, but will be curious to see what he says when pressed on the question in the future. Given how much press his statements got, I'm sure it won't be long before he will be.

post #12 of 369

I agree, it is tough to say after just one interview. But I think the definition of arrogant is something like having an exaggerated belief in your own importance or ability. So either he exaggerates his own ability (making him arrogant) or he really thinks he is one of the top 5 golfers in the world (making him delusional).

 

But to be honest, I don't think there's anything wrong with him saying what he said. It was actually refreshing to hear an athlete say what was on his mind. 

post #13 of 369
Quote:
Originally Posted by iacas View Post
 

 

So what do you say to those who would counter "He was asked?"

He wasn't asked to list every tournament he's played in since he was 14.  Listing where he finished in each one, and also mentioning for like the 5th time in the media that he was 6-0 in the NCAA??  You don't think that's a little over the top?  Seems like the majority does. 

 

Add to that the Tiger Woods look thing, which I just find annoying, and not mentioning Rory earlier in the week when he was talking about the top 5 on tour.  It's a compilation of things with this guy. Not just one press conference.  At least Johnny Miller sassed him up afterward (which we all expected).

 

I could be totally wrong about this, I don't even think we'll be discussing this guy once the U.S. Open rolls around.  He'll be that cocky guy that dressed like Tiger on Sunday and won a few times.  

post #14 of 369
Quote:
Originally Posted by iacas View Post
 

 

So what do you say to those who would counter "He was asked?"

I think there were a number of ways he could have answered the question where he could display confidence but not arrogance.  "I'm feeling like I'm playing like a Top 5 player." or "My goal is to be one of the Top 5 players in the world and if I can keep playing this well I hope to be there."

 

IMO, what he said would be fine for pro wrestling, MMA, or even the NFL, but not in golf.  He has good potential, but Jimmy Walker won three events this year and I don't hear him touting himself as Top 5.

 

I just wish Dufner didn't double at 4 and bogey at 6 because I think he would have put more pressure on Reed.

post #15 of 369
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtogolf View Post
 

I think there were a number of ways he could have answered the question where he could display confidence but not arrogance.  "I'm feeling like I'm playing like a Top 5 player." or "My goal is to be one of the Top 5 players in the world and if I can keep playing this well I hope to be there."

 


 I agree, it was kind of a cringe-worthy moment in my opinion. But when they stick a mic in your face 30 seconds after the biggest win of your career??? Let's just say I wouldn't fault the guy if he wasn't thinking and/or expressing himself exactly like he intended to.

 

Again, if he stands by those comments in future interviews, then I'll have to concede that he's an arrogant S.O.B. But for now, I'm reserving judgment.

post #16 of 369
Quote:
Originally Posted by albatross View Post

I could be totally wrong about this, but I don't even think we'll be discussing this guy by the time the U.S. Open rolls around.  He'll be that cocky guy that dressed like Tiger on Sunday and won a few times.  
Tell us how you really feel...
First of all) Tiger doesn't own the color Red, secondly) I think that it was stupid of him to mention every tournament that he's placed in but not arrogant, thirdly) he was asked and he did answer honestly and lastly) we golfers are extremely superstitious so you can't blame him for trying red and continuing to wear it after he won with it.

BTW when I say "we golfers" I'm not being arrogant or comparing myself to Tiger, just an expression.
post #17 of 369
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big C View Post
 


 I agree, it was kind of a cringe-worthy moment in my opinion. But when they stick a mic in your face 30 seconds after the biggest win of your career??? Let's just say I wouldn't fault the guy if he wasn't thinking and/or expressing himself exactly like he intended to.

 

Again, if he stands by those comments in future interviews, then I'll have to concede that he's an arrogant S.O.B. But for now, I'm reserving judgment.

Keep in mind, there were two interviews.  The original interview was taped and played during the final round and the 2nd was after he won.  He had ample time to reconsider his choice of words and "clarify" what he meant.  He chose not to, which means he believes them to be true.

post #18 of 369
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtogolf View Post

I think there were a number of ways he could have answered the question where he could display confidence but not arrogance.  "I'm feeling like I'm playing like a Top 5 player." or "My goal is to be one of the Top 5 players in the world and if I can keep playing this well I hope to be there."

IMO, what he said would be fine for pro wrestling, MMA, or even the NFL, but not in golf.  He has good potential, but Jimmy Walker won three events this year and I don't hear him touting himself as Top 5.

I just wish Dufner didn't double at 4 and bogey at 6 because I think he would have put more pressure on Reed.
Walker also isn't 23 yo
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Tour Talk
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Clubhouse › Tour Talk › Patrick Reed - Is he arrogant?