or Connect
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Clubhouse › Tour Talk › Patrick Reed - Is he arrogant?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Patrick Reed - Is he arrogant? - Page 17

Poll Results: Arrogant?

 
  • 54% (50)
    Yes
  • 45% (42)
    No
92 Total Votes  
post #289 of 349
Quote:
Originally Posted by nutman View Post
 

I think he has ruined his career with fans for his smart ass remarks. He is an insult to the game


Yes, okay.

 

Welcome to TST.

 

Thanks for your feelings on Patrick Reed, and I am sure you'll have many other topics to discuss on this forum.

 

Great place for pretty much any topic, and BTW you might learn a little more golf along the way. :-)

post #290 of 349
Quote:
Originally Posted by nutman View Post
 

I think he has ruined his career with fans for his smart ass remarks. He is an insult to the game

Lmao! That's a bit strong. 

post #291 of 349
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3putter View Post
 

Lmao! That's a bit strong.

It's very strong, he's in no way an insult to the game.  He has probably lost a portion of fan base he could have had if he chose his words more carefully.  I don't see commentators, bloggers or fans forgetting his comments for quite some time.

post #292 of 349

My sister, who is not a golf fan, asked me of Reed, "is that the really annoying arrogant guy..."

 

She only happened to see his comments because I had the WGC on, and has no real knowledge of golfers.

post #293 of 349
Quote:
Originally Posted by nutman View Post
 

I think he has ruined his career with fans for his smart ass remarks. He is an insult to the game

Yet he's been getting more press in the weeks since he made the comments than Jimmy Walker or Russel Henley; two guys who are probably most comparable to him as far as their recent success, yet have kept their mouths shut.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pumaAttack View Post
 

My sister, who is not a golf fan, asked me of Reed, "is that the really annoying arrogant guy..."

 

She only happened to see his comments because I had the WGC on, and has no real knowledge of golfers.

Your sister doesn't follow golf and yet she knows who he is.

 

I'd counter @nutman by saying that I think he's BOOSTED his career with the remarks.  Everybody is talking about him.

post #294 of 349
Quote:
Originally Posted by pepsiplusconker View Post

I thought this, he may have even meant to say, he feels like he's playing like a top 5 player, which wouldn't be a bad thing to say either.

It's tough speaking on camera, especially for a young guy who hasn't done it that many times, he probably just wasn't thinking straight because of nerves/adrenalin/happiness etc.

You always realise how good presenters etc. are on camera, when you see someone from the public get interviewed, and they come across as a complete brainless moron, I see it all the time in the UK with football fans.

If you consider some of the other things he's said, such as repeating his 6-0 NCAA match play record or his comments after Humana (which I don't exactly recall but do remember thinking they were cocky opposed to confident), I'm not sure I give him the benefit of the doubt here. I believe he said what he meant to say.

Now, I don't love the guy but these comments have not completely soured me on him, just a little eyebrow-raising. I admire his game and was especially impressed with how he played heads up with DJ in his recent win. He'll recover from this in the eyes of the fans, I believe.
post #295 of 349
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfingdad View Post

Yet he's been getting more press in the weeks since he made the comments than Jimmy Walker or Russel Henley; two guys who are probably most comparable to him as far as their recent success, yet have kept their mouths shut.

Your sister doesn't follow golf and yet she knows who he is.

I'd counter @nutman
 by saying that I think he's BOOSTED his career with the remarks.  Everybody is talking about him.

He definitely boosted his recognizablity (which is a word, apparently!), but I don't know if that will necessary boost his "career." Y'know what I mean?
post #296 of 349
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamo View Post


He definitely boosted his recognizablity (which is a word, apparently!), but I don't know if that will necessary boost his "career." Y'know what I mean?

Right, not necessarily, but I certainly don't think it would hurt it.  If he continues to be successful, I think that his rise in fame (and infamy for those who love to hate him) will go a lot faster now that he's made himself known.  Next time Russell Henley wins he won't get nearly as much press as Reed will next time he wins.  And I think as long as he can succeed, it'll potentially snowball.

 

And the downside is .... well, I don't think there is one.  If he doesn't continue to succeed, we'll forget about him very quickly.  He'll become a footnote.

post #297 of 349

It is interesting to note that in his post-victory interview he made no comment regarding his abilities in tenpin bowling or Solitaire on the computer.

Not so much as a mention. Nothing.

He must be very poor at both. 

post #298 of 349
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shorty View Post
 

It is interesting to note that in his post-victory interview he made no comment regarding his abilities in tenpin bowling or Solitaire on the computer.

Not so much as a mention. Nothing.

He must be very poor at both. 

Or Cricket!

post #299 of 349

I doubt he did, but I hope Patrick Reed watched the "Arnie" special on Golf Channel this past week.  The last 5 minutes of the final episode, Arnold Palmer quotes his father and says how much he agrees with the statement:  "You should never need to tell anyone how great you are; if you're great, they will know without you telling them."  That sums up this whole thread in my mind.  

post #300 of 349
Quote:
Originally Posted by albatross View Post
 

I doubt he did, but I hope Patrick Reed watched the "Arnie" special on Golf Channel this past week.  The last 5 minutes of the final episode, Arnold Palmer quotes his father and says how much he agrees with the statement:  "You should never need to tell anyone how great you are; if you're great, they will know without you telling them."  That sums up this whole thread in my mind.  

 

 

Saw that, too. Great reference.

 

Currently Reed is in 40th place at The Heritage. He missed the cut at Augusta and Bay Hill. If you're going to make a comment that "you're in the top-5 in the world", you better back it up....or be prepared to face the repercussions.

post #301 of 349

 

Thought this might tickle a few of you guys

post #302 of 349

The only thing he's top 5 in, is top five hackers. He almost hit that boat with that crazy swing near the 18th green.

post #303 of 349
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motley01 View Post
 

The only thing he's top 5 in, is top five hackers. He almost hit that boat with that crazy swing near the 18th green.

 

 

I wouldn't go that far, He's a good player, and like most good players, they good days, and bad days. I'm not a fan of his, just trying to be fair about things.

post #304 of 349
Quote:
Originally Posted by pepsiplusconker View Post
 

 

Thought this might tickle a few of you guys

Ha!

post #305 of 349

Another impressive showing for Mr. Reed this week.

post #306 of 349

Mr. Reed melting down this weekend.  I don't remember too many other "Top 5" guys throwing up all over themselves on a Sunday.  I don't like to root against anyone, but I'm glad this big mouth is struggling.  

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Tour Talk
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Clubhouse › Tour Talk › Patrick Reed - Is he arrogant?