or Connect
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Clubhouse › Tour Talk › Patrick Reed - Is he arrogant?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Patrick Reed - Is he arrogant? - Page 4

Poll Results: Arrogant?

 
  • 54% (48)
    Yes
  • 45% (40)
    No
88 Total Votes  
post #55 of 347
Quote:
Originally Posted by mvmac View Post

Callaway Podcast where they talk to Reed about his comments. Just need to listen from 2:50 to about 6:00
https://soundcloud.com/callawaygolf/interview-with-patrick-reed-03-10

Executive summary
- Just won the biggest tournament of his life and he was pumped up.
- His goal is to be one of the best players in the world
- What he really meant by his comments is that if he kept playing the way he's been, he'll become a top 5 player in the world






Patrick Reeds Ego! LOL those tweets are money! LMAO
post #56 of 347

First of all ... welcome to the site.  :beer:  And great first post.  Now let me tell you why I disagree with it. :-P

 

Quote:

Originally Posted by Conrad View Post
 

Obviously Reed isn't anywhere near that level but I sure can't blame him for the confidence or over confidence.

 

I mean lets be serious how can you even be considered top 20 without ever teeing it up a major championship.

I disagree that it's obvious that he isn't anywhere near that level because (and this goes directly against your second sentence here) he is already exactly the 20th best player in the world according to these guys.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conrad View Post
 

There is a huge difference in being the hottest player in the world or one the 5 hottest players in the world then being a top 5 player.

Is there?  Isn't it exactly the same thing, just over varied, yet equally arbitrary, time frames?  #5 in the world in the OWGR is the "hottest" player over the course of the last two years.  One could argue that what you did 23 months ago shouldn't have a lot of bearing over where you rank in the world.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conrad View Post
 

The other issue or thing I find funny about this and his victory yesterday is that he really wasn't pushed much at all on the back 9. No one in the final groups had a good day. Tiger, Dufner, Mahan and the Johnsons all faded. I would have liked to see him be forced to pull driver on 18 and see how he reacted to that. If he had done it with one of those guys coming at him hard similarly to the way Rory did it at Honda in 2012 then maybe his arrogance wouldn't be so misguided. But lets be honest, Reed hung on by the skin of teeth on the back 9 and no one really popped up and made him work.

I already discussed this on the tournament thread, but I don't think you can separate him from the rest of the field and give him less credit because he wasn't pushed.  A large part - a very large part - of the reason why he wasn't pushed was because he put himself in a position to not be pushed.  He outperformed the toughest field of the season over 72 holes.  And he REALLY outperformed them for 67 or so holes.  Who cares if it was the first 67 holes?  I mean, what's the difference if he shoots +2 on the first 5 holes Thursday, then -6 over the next 67 holes?  Either way, he finishes -4 and beats everybody.

post #57 of 347

I did'nt mind it - seemed overly confident maybe ... but like Miller said, nobody else is going to say it, you have to have confidence in yourself ...

post #58 of 347
Quote:
Originally Posted by mvmac View Post
 

Callaway Podcast where they talk to Reed about his comments. Just need to listen from 2:50 to about 6:00

https://soundcloud.com/callawaygolf/interview-with-patrick-reed-03-10

 

Executive summary

- Just won the biggest tournament of his life and he was pumped up.

- His goal is to be one of the best players in the world

- What he really meant by his comments is that if he kept playing the way he's been, he'll become a top 5 player in the world

 

 

 

Strong post. The ego tweets are killing me. Real funny stuff.

post #59 of 347
Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchparrot19 View Post
 

 Hoping that Adam Scott doesn't win just because he uses a long putter & isn't all that exciting.

 

couldn't agree more

post #60 of 347
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfingdad View Post
 

I already discussed this on the tournament thread, but I don't think you can separate him from the rest of the field and give him less credit because he wasn't pushed.  A large part - a very large part - of the reason why he wasn't pushed was because he put himself in a position to not be pushed.  He outperformed the toughest field of the season over 72 holes.  And he REALLY outperformed them for 67 or so holes.  Who cares if it was the first 67 holes?  I mean, what's the difference if he shoots +2 on the first 5 holes Thursday, then -6 over the next 67 holes?  Either way, he finishes -4 and beats everybody.

He outperformed them on Thursday, Friday and Saturday and they imploded on Sunday (except for Bubba).  I think you have to give him credit for what he did the first 3 days but you also have to acknowledge that he didn't really step up on Sunday and crush them.  Did he intend to just do enough to win or was he trying to crush them and was unable to? 

 

The Masters will demonstrate how he withstands the pressures of a Major.  I hope he's near the top of the leaderboard on Sunday and we'll see how he handles real pressure.

post #61 of 347
Thread Starter 
The more I read the more I move towards confidence than arrogance.

Still a firm believer he shouldn't wear red on Sundays. Tiger doesn't own those colors but seriously?
post #62 of 347
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kieran123 View Post

The more I read the more I move towards confidence than arrogance.

Still a firm believer he shouldn't wear red on Sundays. Tiger doesn't own those colors but seriously?

Yeah, that's just dumb. 

post #63 of 347
Quote:
Originally Posted by MS256 View Post
 

Just listened to a phone interview with Reed on Golf Central and, although he still sounded confident, he had backtracked (or clarified) enough on the subjects in this thread that he didn't come across as arrogant to me.

If he felt he needed to backtrack, that shows even he thought he sounded arrogant.  As far as the wearing Tiger colors, of course Tiger doesn't own that, and the guy can wear whatever he wants.  The fact that Reed admits he does it because of Tiger, seems weird to me.  Not wrong, just sort of weird.  

post #64 of 347

^ remember, Trevino's sunday colors were red & black also - he called it his "money colors".    Maybe some up and coming phenom kid in the mid to late 90's saw that & copied Trevino ...

post #65 of 347

His comments combined with wearing red and black clearly demonstrate this kid wants attention.  Wearing Tigers colors are going to get you noticed and talked about.  Making comments that you're Top 5 in the world will also get you attention.

 

The question will be what kind of attention will he get.  Will he get endorsement deals for being so bold or will it hurt him because decision makers will wants a larger sample to make sure he's not a big bust.

 

I wonder if Nike is regretting the Rory deal yet?

post #66 of 347
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtogolf View Post

He outperformed them on Thursday, Friday and Saturday and they imploded on Sunday (except for Bubba).  I think you have to give him credit for what he did the first 3 days but you also have to acknowledge that he didn't really step up on Sunday and crush them.  Did he intend to just do enough to win or was he trying to crush them and was unable to? 

The Masters will demonstrate how he withstands the pressures of a Major.  I hope he's near the top of the leaderboard on Sunday and we'll see how he handles real pressure.
So what's the criteria now? You don't have to beat all of the best in a big tournament ... That's just not enough. You have to "crush" them? It's gotta be "x" number of shots?
post #67 of 347
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtogolf View Post
 

His comments combined with wearing red and black clearly demonstrate this kid wants attention.  Wearing Tigers colors are going to get you noticed and talked about.  Making comments that you're Top 5 in the world will also get you attention.

 

Exactly. The kid wants the spotlight. That's what it is all about. And he's getting it, although some of it in a negative way. Personally, I think he needs to win a major first before he does any talking. Win a major this year and then we can discuss you being in the top-5. Until then, take a page out of Zach Johnson's book and let your clubs do the talking, not your mouth.

post #68 of 347

Reed clearly stated he was wearing red and black as paying homage to Eldrick.  This occurs in other sports, including LeBron wearing #23 (as well as many other players) as a tribute to MJ.

post #69 of 347
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtogolf View Post
 

His comments combined with wearing red and black clearly demonstrate this kid wants attention.  Wearing Tigers colors are going to get you noticed and talked about.  Making comments that you're Top 5 in the world will also get you attention.

 

The question will be what kind of attention will he get.  Will he get endorsement deals for being so bold or will it hurt him because decision makers will wants a larger sample to make sure he's not a big bust.

 

I wonder if Nike is regretting the Rory deal yet?

 

Well aren't you just a bit jaded. If you actually watched his interview you could see the admiration he had for Tiger growing up playing golf. Every kid emulates the icons of a sport. I have no problem with him wanting to wear Red and Black on Sundays. Just because he does doesn't mean he has an alternative motive to his actions. 

 

OR he's an honest guy who admits what he thinks is true. Admitting you are good isn't attention seeking. It might be arrogant, but that is subjective based on those who want to judge him for his attitude. 

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisP View Post
 

 

Exactly. The kid wants the spotlight. That's what it is all about. And he's getting it, although some of it in a negative way. Personally, I think he needs to win a major first before he does any talking. Win a major this year and then we can discuss you being in the top-5. Until then, take a page out of Zach Johnson's book and let your clubs do the talking, not your mouth.

 

 

Or he can be who he wants to be. Why does everyone have this whole Political Correctness Bull S**** about everything. So what if the guy is cocky. So what if he wants to claim he's top 5. Honestly this year so far, he's top 5. I know the world rankings say 20th but that is a rolling ranking system. As of this golf season, he's 3rd in the Fed-Ex points. He's clearly backing it up on the course. I have no problem with is confidence.

 

Here's the thing, no one but Reed knows what he is seeking. Form the sounds of it, he wanted to wear black and red because the best did. He wants to be the best. So what, this is common to do in sports. In his interview he gave tons of credit to his support system, his wife, Callaway, his manager. He also gave praise to the field he played against. He had nothing but good words for his competitors. I have no clue were you guys are getting this stuff, but you are grasping at nothing. 

post #70 of 347

Let's see...

 

Patrick Reed has won two tournaments and placed twice more in the top 10 by mid-March....

 

and, he's already won $3 million for 2014...

 

Is he a winner? Yes.

 

Is he arrogant? Define arrogant, please... (whatever the definition, arrogant is not against the law.)

post #71 of 347
Quote:
Originally Posted by saevel25 View Post
 

 

Well aren't you just a bit jaded. If you actually watched his interview you could see the admiration he had for Tiger growing up playing golf. Every kid emulates the icons of a sport. I have no problem with him wanting to wear Red and Black on Sundays. Just because he does doesn't mean he has an alternative motive to his actions.

 

OR he's an honest guy who admits what he thinks is true. Admitting you are good isn't attention seeking. It might be arrogant, but that is subjective based on those who want to judge him for his attitude.

Maybe I am a bit jaded or old fashioned (if you can be at 48).

 

I don't think it's appropriate to wear a golfers "colors" to pay homage to the person if he's still active on the Tour.  If Tiger was retired or on the Champions Tour and Reed wanted to do so then I'd say it's an homage.  Wearing them while competing against Tiger might be possibly considered disrespectful unless he spoke to Tiger and Tiger told him he didn't care.  Imagine both of them in a final pairing walking down the fairway together looking like twins, could be awkward for both.

 

I do agree that Tiger doesn't "own" those colors but Reed acknowledged those are Tigers colors on Sunday, so he's aware of what he's doing.

 

He's attention seeking, there's no question about that and I don't dislike him for it, I just think it could work against him.

post #72 of 347

Him wearing red and black on Sunday was kinda cool to me. I think that if I were in the same situation, I might wear red and black too. 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Tour Talk
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Clubhouse › Tour Talk › Patrick Reed - Is he arrogant?